Is there a trick to being able to command other party leaders in your army?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I'm the king, and I'm leading an army composed of parties led by both my companions and my vassals. Yet, whenever a battle starts, I seem to have zero control over what formations both companions and lords go into, and they're usually the worst possible ones. For example, that horse archer companion is in the infantry formation, and that noblewoman with a horse & sword but no shield or helmet is in with the archers.

So with companion parties, for a while I was thinking that they go into the formation of troop type that they have the most of in their party. For example, if they have 20 horse archers and 15 infantry, they'll go into horse archer formation. However, it isn't always possible to give them more of the right troop type, and also I'm not sure this rule is even true, as I think I've seen them defy it. Besides, there's no way to use this for lords.

Lords are just a crap-shoot. They die so many times unnecessarily, because they insist on being in the wrong formation (infantry being a death sentence). It's absolutely maddening that I, as king, cannot order them (or even suggest to them!) to not suicide with the mooks. While I appreciate their willingness to share danger with the rank-and-file, bluntly: the infantry is there mostly to soak up enemy fire, and they're far more replaceable than my vassal lords are.

I do not like save-scumming (I used to play Warband with "no quitting without saving" enabled), but I've been effectively forced to do so by the new non-optional death-in-battle feature, particularly when combined with this issue of lords refusing to be in the right formations. They really ought to be in the companion formation, so I can tell them to stay the hell away from danger, but failing that, they should at least be in the formation that they're the same troop type as.

Anyone know any fixes, workarounds, etc.? As much as I dislike having to use mods, as this point, I'm even open to using a mod to fix this, I suppose, as long as it doesn't break something else.

Hmm. I don't have the problem. If I am the leader of the army, I also have complete control over everyone in the army. The only time I don't have control is if I am helping someone else in which case the ones I am helping can do whatever they want wish is usually the worst thing possible.

I want to know too!
Hmm. I don't have the problem. If I am the leader of the army, I also have complete control over everyone in the army. The only time I don't have control is if I am helping someone else in which case the ones I am helping can do whatever they want wish is usually the worst thing possible.
He means the "Order of battle" screen before the battle begins, it looks like you should be able to choose who is captain of what group.... however AFAIK you can't change anything. It's very annoying because as he described it will stick captains in formations where other members would have much better captain perks.

One time I couldn't decide what perk to give a companion, but they were always put as the HA captain when in my army, so I gave them the HA perks (Sagittarius over sweeping wind), then the next fight they we in charge of Cavalry instead!

Hmm. I don't have the problem. If I am the leader of the army, I also have complete control over everyone in the army.
So how do you put a noble with a horse and sword into a different formation, when s/he is spawned into the infantry formation?

I do know of one very, very kludgy way to do it, but it takes several minutes, and thus is only an option on the rare battles where the enemy does not charge your line. Basically, you keep splitting the formation in half until you end up with just the problem lord, which you can then assign to his own formation. But this is very far from "complete control," and is simply not an option on most battles (and is extremely irritating and time-wasting even when it is an option).

I assume that highly-unreliable workaround isn't what you were referring to.

Last edited:
You aren't wrong, but with the death rate being so atrocious, why would you even want a named NPC as captain? I just want all my named NPCs in one formation so I can try to keep them from suiciding with the mooks.

Back
Top Bottom