is there a mod or a way to nerf horse archers

Users who are viewing this thread

hey I have been playing this game from a long time now and I literally still can't defeat Khuzait once my faction starts a war with them its game over 100 horse archers just destroys my cavalry archers and infantry even I lost a battle where I had the game on easiest settings just for khuzait they took half the map like always, anyone knows where to find their horse archers XML file or a mod that nerfs them I could not find the xml file that makes me change there skills
answer the typical questions:
1- yes I tried facing them with my cav and they all died because 30 cavalry is useless against 100 horse archers
2_ archers become blind and dumb when it comes to shooting at cavalry and horse archers they are the worst for fighting cavalry
3 _im not a bad player I do use the terrain to my advantage just no way to fight off 100 horse archers and then another 100 cav and the main army
my suggestion is they should bring back the old khuzait tree (Warband one) they were well balanced only cav but they were trash at taking city's
once they added the infantry to khuzait they made them twice more powerful because I can't use my infantry to fight there horse archers if I do there infantry will flank me and kill my scattered infantry easy

I was having a hard time vs Kuzaits as well for a while, but I've kind of figured out how to beat them. I don't play with any mods battle/unit changing mods. AI always sends their horse archers charging ahead of their main army. What you want to do usually is move your archers to the left that they are kind of positioned right in front of the their charging archers, put them in loose formation. I also like to put my horse archers standing with my regular archers as well in the begging. I then put my infantry behind my archers. I than tell me cavalry to follow me and go towards the right flank of my army. Then I start to go forward, at this point the enemy horse archers should be getting close to your army. Charge with your cav behind them so they can't really shoot you and also try to force (herd) them to go towards your archers. Once you've caught up with the enemy horse archers tell your cav to charge as well, You can do the same with your horse archers. At this point you have basically trapped their horse archers between yourself, your cav and your archers. Kuzait cav is very lightly armored, you should pretty much be able to destroy most of their horse archers before their main army arrives. Once their main army arrives just tell your infantry to charge. At this point I actually like to tell my cav to follow me and hit their foot archers really hard or if they don't have too many just charge behind their infantry which will give a big morale damage to them, you should see a huge chunk of their infantry route. I usually don't worry too much about their regular cav, they seem to kind of die easily. You can also just try to go after their main cav once you've dealt with the initial horse archer charge.
If you're fighting a huge battle with many enemy reinforcements don't charge too far ahead, stay close to your starting area where your own reinforcements spawn. The enemy usually comes in waives and you should have time to re-organize your army before the next wave gets there. I can usually take on like 1200 kuzaits with 800 of my own army.

I find the downside to that mod is 1v1 duals take forever unless one person is much higher skill level or armor level. I do like the realistic battle mod and find playing with that to be a big enhancement for the game.

Tournaments between two cataphracts; just walk away for a bit, stretch your legs, get a drink, etc.

Tournaments between two cataphracts using spear-and-shield; RIP.

thanks will try both
I was having a hard time vs Kuzaits as well for a while, but I've kind of figured out how to beat them. I don't play with any mods battle/unit changing mods. AI always sends their horse archers charging ahead of their main army. What you want to do usually is move your archers to the left that they are kind of positioned right in front of the their charging archers, put them in loose formation. I also like to put my horse archers standing with my regular archers as well in the begging. I then put my infantry behind my archers. I than tell me cavalry to follow me and go towards the right flank of my army. Then I start to go forward, at this point the enemy horse archers should be getting close to your army. Charge with your cav behind them so they can't really shoot you and also try to force (herd) them to go towards your archers. Once you've caught up with the enemy horse archers tell your cav to charge as well, You can do the same with your horse archers. At this point you have basically trapped their horse archers between yourself, your cav and your archers. Kuzait cav is very lightly armored, you should pretty much be able to destroy most of their horse archers before their main army arrives. Once their main army arrives just tell your infantry to charge. At this point I actually like to tell my cav to follow me and hit their foot archers really hard or if they don't have too many just charge behind their infantry which will give a big morale damage to them, you should see a huge chunk of their infantry route. I usually don't worry too much about their regular cav, they seem to kind of die easily. You can also just try to go after their main cav once you've dealt with the initial horse archer charge.
If you're fighting a huge battle with many enemy reinforcements don't charge too far ahead, stay close to your starting area where your own reinforcements spawn. The enemy usually comes in waives and you should have time to re-organize your army before the next wave gets there. I can usually take on like 1200 kuzaits with 800 of my own army.
thanks i will give this a try and see how it goes i hope they balance them in the future

This is a bit of a gimmick, but my strategy with Kuzaits is to always auto-resolve. I just loose too many units otherwise.

thanks will try both

thanks i will give this a try and see how it goes i hope they balance them in the future
Honestly I don't really think they need too much balancing, once I figured out how to beat them it became relatively easy and I feel like they are one of the few factions that really take any tactics or preparation to beat. All other factions you just put your archers infront of your infantry in loose formation and when they get close just charge your infantry in and hit them from behind with your cav.

Honestly I don't really think they need too much balancing, once I figured out how to beat them it became relatively easy and I feel like they are one of the few factions that really take any tactics or preparation to beat. All other factions you just put your archers infront of your infantry in loose formation and when they get close just charge your infantry in and hit them from behind with your cav.
In my opinion this is not the fault of Faction design, but the fallout of very small battle scenes and, more importantly, small armies. A 1000 man army on Bannerlord is very large, but decently sized battles historicaly had much larger numbers with multiple regiments each tasked with a role to play in a larger strategy.

I remember someone telling me that an easy couter to hourse archers was finding a courner of a map and parking your units there since that stops the mounted archers from being able to circle you, but that is just very cheezy.

In my opinion this is not the fault of Faction design, but the fallout of very small battle scenes and, more importantly, small armies. A 1000 man army on Bannerlord is very large, but decently sized battles historicaly had much larger numbers with multiple regiments each tasked with a role to play in a larger strategy.

I remember someone telling me that an easy couter to hourse archers was finding a courner of a map and parking your units there since that stops the mounted archers from being able to circle you, but that is just very cheezy.
I'm sure there are several ways that they can be dealt with, some cheezy some not. Part of the fun is figuring it out yourself what works and what doesn't. I wasn't really complaining about there not being enough tactics required to fight. I can think of dozens of cool things I could do if I wanted to but they would take a lot more management and I'm kind of lazy most of the time, what I do is "good enough". I mean some people just do f1 f3 and it works for them. I'm just putting the minimum effort to get close to the best result that I want. Once they fix the unit group assignments from resetting I think I will be doing a lot more cool stuff in the battle.

Fighting the Khuzait can get nasty and requires preparation. I usually focus on imperial units because i love their sturdyness and hate taking casualties.

1) Palatine guards close to the border of the map, if possible on a hill (loose formation)
2) Legionaries towards the front (shieldwall)
3) Cavalry either behind the guard or flanking them on the opposite side of the charging horse archers

Example: (LEG = Legionaries/Melee infantry, PG = Palatine guard/armored Archers, CAV = Heavy cavalry, KHA = Khuzait horse archer swarm, KI = Khuzait infantry)

.....................................KI
.......................KHA
....................................Leg
...........................PG.............CAV

The horse archers missiles don't do much against Palatine guards, meanwhile they are getting shot to pieces. At some point they will either get close or even charge into melee, that's when i order my heavy cav to counter charge. Thanks to the loose formation they have an easy passing into the melee fight and enemy missile fire tends to be less lethal. My legionaries usually shred the Khuzait infantry without any trouble and once their cav charges my guard they are done due to their heavy armor and my cavalry countercharge. Putting some Menavlions into the mix helps a lot though.

The most important thing is: NEVER EVER CHASE RETREATING KHUZAIT!!! The Khuzait are using fake retreats, just like the Mongols did. After butchering their initial assault the power bar tends to look good due to the casualties,but in most cases there are a lot of more where they came from. If you allow your troops to chase them, they end up in the Khuzait spawn zone fast, get surrounded by spawning reinforcements and are finished. Instead hold your ground, let your infantry charge, slaughter the enemies in range and call them back. Meanwhile use your "Hold fire" command to prevent your archers from wasting their ammo on scattered enemy infantry. Their job is to shoot horse archers, so wait until enough of them are in good range and maybe even standing still, wasting their ammo on your heavily armored shieldwall. Once the horse archer blob is big and delicious enough let loose a couple of arrow barrages until they retreat, then hold your fire again.This way you essentially grind down the Khuzait until their morale breaks. Knowing how many enemies you have to fight overall helps too, so you know how many are in reserve and if what looks like a full out retreat is a fake retreat or indeed due to army losses and shattered morale. Then you can order all of your troops to give chase and hunt them down. Fighting Khuzait is tedious, but not impossible. In my current playthrough they controlled almost half of the map, but with the mentioned tactic i slowly grinded them down with an army of just about 700 good men.

Last edited:
I kicked their butts now they're my vassals. I've said how I easily beat them 10 times on here already but in short:
Put ranged units (including HA)at back of map and face direction diagonally to the left. If you have Inf put it in front. If you have Cav set it on fallow me and drag them behind the HA as they enter fireing range of ranged units and charge them.
You probably just need more raged units and HA. Infantry is dead weight in this game. Some cav is okay but HA and archers are the best.
But you absolutely must position and face your ranged for them to shoot down the HA as they approach. If you have a lot of HA you also just change position after enemy starts to circle around and basically drop your HA on top of them. If thier normal cav charges put everyone in skein and they get ****ed hard. Works for any enemy cav.

You can also bait horse archers, so that they cycle directly in an MG Archer troop. Place your infantry(bait) in a square(with hold Fire if you have Legonaries) in front of your loose archer line. If the range gap is big enough they will cycle arround your infantry and get the full load of arrows from the archers. There is also the time i let my cav(who stays behind the archers) charge. With that i almost finish the first Horse Archer Wave before the enemy infantry arrives. In 2000 Men army fights its different though. For myself it seems that big scale battle always have 60% infantry 10%archer and 30%cav at the start and during the fight it seems that the archers are the last troop which joins the battle. You defnitly cant kill horse archers with 150 infantry men and only 10 archers behind them....

Back
Top Bottom