Is the smith guy on vacation, it has been almost a year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Coincidentally, that's also "the smithing guy" who no-lifed the last few days before EA launch to finish the first iteration of the system after announcing it wouldn't make it for initial EA. Did it feel rushed? Of course it did, it literally was. It's also not a critical feature of the game, so there are other priorities. The alternative was another empty hole where a promised/advertised feature should be, and of course there would have been complaints about that. It'll get another pass eventually.

In the meantime, calling for violence against anyone--even in jest--is a no-go on this forum. I hope you won't require another pass.
Would have been better to just ignore the smithing and adding some more working perks, talking about the release of course :wink: .

A totally broken smithing system doesn´t help much at all.

No offense though!

My issue is that "It'll get another pass eventually" is when? Dam 4 years down the line? I mean that's pretty realistic considering the pace of development.

The crafting skill should be removed and replaced with something more interesting. I can't think of something that the game lacks and whose addition of would make sense right now, but I definitely don't think the crafting skill has a place in Bannerlord.

How about enchanting and alchemy? That would bring in new players and delight the old ones!
Imagine if you could enchant your horse with "high jump magic" then dope it with "potion of meth".

The crafting skill should be removed and replaced with something more interesting. I can't think of something that the game lacks and whose addition of would make sense right now, but I definitely don't think the crafting skill has a place in Bannerlord.
Crafting isn't bad per see but the original iteration they showed us was a commission system where you payed a smith and he made the weapon you wanted, maybe they could keep both styles so players who don't want to craft can still get custom weapons (i know you can use a smith companion to craft for you but it's still crafting, he just provides the skill level)

Also they could add armor crafting/commissioning rather easily if it's just the pre-made armors and not custom parts like with weapons, there are mods for this already and would be a good way to get that specific armor you want for you or to outfit your companions for example when you have lots of cash to spend.

I like the crafting system, just think it needs fixes, improvements and an alternative if you are not in the mood to play a crafter.

Crafting isn't bad per see but the original iteration they showed us was a commission system where you payed a smith and he made the weapon you wanted, maybe they could keep both styles so players who don't want to craft can still get custom weapons (i know you can use a smith companion to craft for you but it's still crafting, he just provides the skill level)

Also they could add armor crafting/commissioning rather easily if it's just the pre-made armors and not custom parts like with weapons, there are mods for this already and would be a good way to get that specific armor you want for you or to outfit your companions for example when you have lots of cash to spend.

I like the crafting system, just think it needs fixes, improvements and an alternative if you are not in the mood to play a crafter.
This +1
And even if you're doing crafting playthrough, it's so frustrating unlocking parts you have no need for. You should be able to buy specific weapon part recipes from vendors.

Maybe also some quests for smithing? Like a lord/lady ordering a specific weapon from you, or street gangs ordering a batch of hatches etc. It has a lot of potential if done properly, imo.

Yeah a comission system would be better but the problem is that it just doesn't work as a player skill. It should be unrelated to skills and just be a mechanic you can engage with through notables in towns.

Yeah a comission system would be better but the problem is that it just doesn't work as a player skill. It should be unrelated to skills and just be a mechanic you can engage with through notables in towns.
Well yeah, but obviously this should cost a ****load of money too, when tf did a rich lord came down to the town and starting making weapons to break the economy? Commissioning it's 100% necessary.

Anyone who has worked on software projects can easily see that this is a project that is bogged down by terrible leadership. They lack the discipline, planning, focus and professionalism of a big boy organization.

You can see it everywhere you look:

- "Fixed" bugs that are not fixed or revert a couple of revisions later. Trouble with managing branches eh?
- Game-breaking bugs that are plainly obvious with even the most casual inspection. Many should have stopped at the devs desk before the code was even pushed, much less QA.
- Low-hanging fruit features and quality of life improvements implemented in mods a year ago remain unaddressed.
- Periodic appearance of UI and performance issues (map stuttering, UI latency, disappearing mouse pointers, memory leaks).
- Lack of communication except for a few brave devs.
- Lack of a detailed roadmap.
- Half-assed, poorly thought out and lazy implementations.

If anyone in charge knew what in the hell they were doing, they would lay out a detailed feature development roadmap with timing and they would hold the team to it. That won't happen because this is cluster**** turd factory that burns money for fuel.

A decade of development and a year of EA and here we are in a complete ****show.

Tough love TW.

Anyone who has worked on software projects can easily see that this is a project that is bogged down by terrible leadership. They lack the discipline, planning, focus and professionalism of a big boy organization.

- "Fixed" bugs that are not fixed or revert a couple of revisions later. Trouble with managing branches eh?
- Game-breaking bugs that are plainly obvious with even the most casual inspection. Many should have stopped at the devs desk before the code was even pushed, much less QA.
- Low-hanging fruit features and quality of life improvements implemented in mods a year ago remain unaddressed.
- Periodic appearance of UI and performance issues (map stuttering, UI latency, disappearing mouse pointers, memory leaks).

If anyone in charge knew what in the hell they were doing, they would lay out a detailed feature development roadmap with timing and they would hold the team to it. That won't happen because this is cluster**** turd factory that burns money for fuel.

A decade of development and a year of EA and here we are in a complete ****show.

Tough love TW.
100% Right on. I don't know how anyone could reach an alternative conclusion.

Tough love TW.

You just described most large game studios (with few notable exceptions).

Truth is, games are quite complex pieces of software and it is often very difficult to coordinate with a team of dozens of people that all work on the same project. It's a lot easier when you work on it yourself alone and take your time, or with a very small team (like the original Mount & Blade).

Also, from my (limited) experience working for a software company (not games tho, but simpler software) - people are generally complete GARBAGE at estimating how long a feature will take to design & implement. You can say 2-3 weeks and in reality it can end up needing several months... and management is always rushing to communicate to customers that a new feature is coming in 2-3 weeks, even though it is NOT guaranteed. Then what happens is customers want the promised feature, and you need to rush it in the last few days to an acceptable state...

Truth is, games are quite complex pieces of software and it is often very difficult to coordinate with a team of dozens of people that all work on the same project. It's a lot easier when you work on it yourself alone and take your time, or with a very small team (like the original Mount & Blade).

Also, from my (limited) experience working for a software company (not games tho, but simpler software) - people are generally complete GARBAGE at estimating how long a feature will take to design & implement. You can say 2-3 weeks and in reality it can end up needing several months... and management is always rushing to communicate to customers that a new feature is coming in 2-3 weeks, even though it is NOT guaranteed. Then what happens is customers want the promised feature, and you need to rush it in the last few days to an acceptable state...

I have played several EA games in the last year and all of them have done a FAR better job of communication and execution. It's not even close.

Believe me, I am rooting for these guys but this is a complete ****show.

You are describing the common "Small Boy" software company where chaos is the rule.
Big Boys take planning and organization more seriously and have more experienced people who give good estimates. And if they don't, the project leads/managers know this and slap a multiplier to their estimates.
Above all, the Big Boys managers actively track development and know every week how much they are missing or are ahead of the next deadline. They track changed requirements and update their plans accordingly.
I assume this is the biggest Taleworlds problem, they gave up on project planning and tracking at some point and were therefore unable to give any kind of date for a long time.

You are describing the common "Small Boy" software company where chaos is the rule.
Big Boys take planning and organization more seriously and have more experienced people who give good estimates. And if they don't, the project leads/managers know this and slap a multiplier to their estimates.
Above all, the Big Boys managers actively track development and know every week how much they are missing or are ahead of the next deadline. They track changed requirements and update their plans accordingly.
I assume this is the biggest Taleworlds problem, they gave up on project planning and tracking at some point and were therefore unable to give any kind of date for a long time.

The biggest asset a game studio can have is human talent. Taleworlds has made decent money with Warband, but they also needed to invest that money in senior staff with experience in the industry. Have they done it? Probably not... My current boss is also always looking only for new grads, or students that work part-time, because they are cheaper... but then you can't expect much in terms of quality or speed, right? I don't know how attractive are the job offers at Taleworlds...

Tough love TW.
+1. I've never done game dev, but working for AWS and some large security companies (which I am going to say is more complicated to build a cloud service than build a video game), 100% apparent.

With all the EA money I am pretty sure TW can afford *well* out-of-market on a talented layer of product managers, fully fluent in Turkish to boot, which can get a coherent feature roadmap, parallelize development, and implement much stricted release controls. Things like memory leaks, inefficient code, clustered development issues, and a handful of devs having to put the team on their back (like Mexx) are indicative of immature software development and not a single PM/Prod Manager in the place.

I have faith they can pull it together, I can only imagine how they feel internally, I wouldn't want to come here and seeing this if I was under the gun the deliver beyond my own capacity.

The biggest asset a game studio can have is human talent. Taleworlds has made decent money with Warband, but they also needed to invest that money in senior staff with experience in the industry. Have they done it? Probably not... My current boss is also always looking only for new grads, or students that work part-time, because they are cheaper... but then you can't expect much in terms of quality or speed, right? I don't know how attractive are the job offers at Taleworlds...
Taleworlds' salary levels are probably reasonably good for Turkish standards, but I'm not sure if they would put those millions of EA money to work and hire experienced internationals who will want international salaries and don't want to move to Erdoganistan (= they'll want to work remotely).
Of course you'll lose some very bright people who are willing to emigrate from Turkey (not an easy choice and not for everyone!), but you should be able to keep most of the competent ones and hire and develop new hotshot devs straight outta uni.
However, if the company struggles to release a game in 6-7-8-9-10 years because the leadership is incompetent, you want to get out. In the same time you would have put 3 game releases on your CV elsewhere. It's natural that the best and the most ambitious people left Taleworlds over the years because the project dragged on (there's no end in sight even now in 2021), although some stayed out of loyalty to the staff or the game. What is left is a poorly motivated bunch that can't or don't want to move on.

Back
Top Bottom