Is the Forum a pit of disappointment? Yes it is :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Vanilla Warband delivered something so unique back in the days that even the industry failed to make a competition.
This goes without saying that it's becoming easier and easier to jump into game dev with tools and tuts today.

If I was to guess I'd say that publishers like EA decided that there wasn't a big enough market to develop a competitor to M&B.

If anything I would see Paradox Interactive, which by the way published Mount & Blade back in the days. Yes I know they are notorious for being unorthodox on their DLCs but still, they cater a PC audience and most of the games published under this company are quite mod-friendly and as far as I know the company is doing pretty well.

I really don't know their current relationship with TW as of now but I'm pretty sure at some point they would be interested to make a concept out of it.
It fits pretty well their " Strategy first " vision too.

Paradox game are in the Grand Strategy Games category, which has nothing to do with Mount and Blade. In their early days they may have been such a publisher but I do not see it happening any time soon.

I dont want Pdox anywhere near Mountainblade. You guys think TW is bad, theyre nothing in comparison.
But then you could use Influence to buy bandit troops which earns you Infamy that decreases your Prosperity but gives you a monthly bonus to Terror and if you earn enough Terror, you unlock evil dialogs that increase your Conquerness which you can spend to stake a claim on enemy fiefs unless your Civility is higher than your Lawfulness and it's Tuesday.

But then you could use Influence to buy bandit troops which earns you Infamy that decreases your Prosperity but gives you a monthly bonus to Terror and if you earn enough Terror, you unlock evil dialogs that increase your Conquerness which you can spend to stake a claim on enemy fiefs unless your Civility is higher than your Lawfulness and it's Tuesday.
I ****ing LOVE Mana bro

That's a subjective statement.

After I played Bannerlord for a while, and was disappointed, I asked myself the same thing.
I asked myself wether Warband (native) really was so much better than Bannerlord or if that was just my imagination from all the time I played with mods.

I started another game in Warband (native) and at first I thought; hell, Warband sure has some issues.
It's graphics are horrible, the randomized battle maps with their extremely unrealistic steep mountains were a pain in the butt and a lot of the issues I was complaining about in Bannerlord are present in Warband as well (mostly AI related).

But after an hour the magic reappeared.
There is far less of a grind. If you know what to do you can get going relatively quickly compared to Bannerlord and if you play intelligently you can even with just some dozen men swing the fate of wars (or at least try to). Also whilst the game had it's problems, at least it was playable. No broken sieges, less ridiculus steam rolling and most importantly of all: a degree of depth and immersion Bannerlord does not posess. Laugh about feasts and the like all you want. But they had their place and were important to worldbuilding.

Use the tools available to skip the grind. I mean they literally just dumped most of the worst grind in the game just now and a while ago opened up an easy way to get into holding territory. You get up ready and quick fast in bannerlord.

No broken sieges? Mate, sieges would bug out plenty.

What depth and immersion? Feasts? Is that depth and immersion? A mechanic I have put on hard ignore for YEARS. I guess the companions had more personality because they weren't procedurally generated and had things to say during the game. I do miss them, though I barely remember the vanilla ones I have fond memories on the pendor ones (the mod I played the most)

What steam rolling? The stuff they fixed?

The UI in warband is strict worse, there's no subjectivity in this one. The battles are worse, unless I guess you are some wierdo who hates having more options and formations and less weird terrain. And, shocking, without mods warband diplomacy and kingdom management gave you LESS to do than what is in bannerlord right now.

There are not many things vanilla warband did better than current bannerlord. Most of your issues are pretty dated.

There's all of one current game using this sort of mana.

If anything I would see Paradox Interactive, which by the way published Mount & Blade back in the days. Yes I know they are notorious for being unorthodox on their DLCs but still, they cater a PC audience and most of the games published under this company are quite mod-friendly and as far as I know the company is doing pretty well.

I really don't know their current relationship with TW as of now but I'm pretty sure at some point they would be interested to make a concept out of it.
It fits pretty well their " Strategy first " vision too.

PDox treats their non PDS (the dev studio) like absolute **** and burn those bridges pretty much immediately. They are terrible publishers, despite how much I love their dev studio's games.

There are not many things vanilla warband did better than current bannerlord.
And there are many things Bannerlord does better than Warband. You can post a long list of them, and people will ignore it because they're "just small improvement" over the old ones. People only look for huge, amazing brand new features, and glare at the flaws.

There are not many things vanilla warband did better than current bannerlord.
In the year of 2010, Warband had illusion to make you believe that you are a vassal or a king. Feasts, the claimant questline, plotting with some lord to start a war by raiding villiages, rebelling to your ruler if the ruler does not grant the fief you capture, lords commenting your kingdom with respect to your current Right to Rule points (I mean even gaining Right to Rule was so immersive when other faction makes peace with you which is obviously legitimize your kingdom) so on and so forth.

Let's be honest, we are playing Bannerlord Singleplayer to fool our minds that we are a vassal, a king, a merchant, a bandit in this medieval inspired fantasy. I don't strongly want better UI, graphic, economy, larger battles etc. I want better illusion Warband provided 11 years ago to fool myself.

Last edited:
They dont like Early Access and PDS doesn't really do EA.

I was talking about Paradox as a publisher, given they already published M&B.
They do EA, they absolutely do, Surviving the Aftermath being one of them.
I'm not quite sure how their relations work, if they go after promising projects and studios and publish them or if they suggest a concept and attract new companies and talents out of it, or both, I'm not in this industry at all so those are bold assumptions at best.
Given how Surviving the Aftermath got developed ( making a franchise after Surviving Mars, made by a totally different studio for that record ) it looks it's definitely both.

PDox treats their non PDS (the dev studio) like absolute **** and burn those bridges pretty much immediately. They are terrible publishers, despite how much I love their dev studio's games.

Yeah that's definitely a sad thing, funnily ( well maybe not ) I've read quite a few articles pointing that subject shortly after posting my message. It wasn't intended, I found the odd amusing.

Right to Rule points (I mean even gaining Right to Rule was so immersive when other faction makes peace with you which is obviously legitimize your kingdom) so on and so forth.

You got RtR with peace treaties while a being a vassal aswell though, so could (and probably had it) max it out by the time you started your kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom