Is the dynasty mechanic wasted feature and is it also the reason fast paced combat agenda pushed by TW?

How many generation did you play in Bannerlord in your longest campaign?

Votes: 71 79.8%

Votes: 12 13.5%

Votes: 3 3.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Sadly most of the features in native Bannerlord feel wasted, because of not being fully developed or balanced. Dynasty mechanic could be improved in many ways, mainly by cuting the time it takes for children to mature (age of 12, which is reasonable since nobles die around age of 58+ which was normal for medieval times). Also speed up a little time and change inheritance of skills/perks to children. There's a lot of room for improvements, so it doesn't feel like a waste to die for main character and play as his children. One way would be to give us control over our family. This would mean we fully control their parties or characters in combat. We could lead our army as our main and play a fighter/warrior/archer as our child. This would open up so many possibilites for the game. Even controlling a separate party just to skill up our family members in a way we want (and in a way we can;t with companions).
I thought this would be part of the main game since it sounds like a no-brainer. I guess we gotta Holla out these ideas for TW, which is wierd. TW pls

I thought this would be part of the main game since it sounds like a no-brainer. I guess we gotta Holla out these ideas for TW, which is wierd. TW pls
I heard they had some problems with "kids marrying and having babies" ?, but they could just fix it by babies starting at age of 6 (making 12 years time pass for them to be mature).

Although time still will be a problem, there is a easiest way to solve this problem. That is adding the option of retirement of your char. Ananda The Destroyer suggested this some time ago. This was in Warband although it does not mean anything. In Bannerlord, it is making perfect sense to be able to retire and play as your child but for some odd reason, we dont have this feature anymore. @Dejan , please forward this to the team.

Although time still will be a problem, there is a easiest way to solve this problem. That is adding the option of retirement of your char. Ananda The Destroyer suggested this some time ago. This was in Warband although it does not mean anything. In Bannerlord, it is making perfect sense to be able to retire and play as your child but for some odd reason, we dont have this feature anymore. @Dejan , please forward this to the team.
I remember, someone from the dev team mentioned the retirement feature in the times of 1.7.0 release or so.

This feature is already planned. TW mentioned it in the future plans blog in the singleplayer section under Other ---> "It also covers the addition of smaller mechanics, like an AI death chance in simulation battles, an option to respec perks, and the ability to retire the active main character" (https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/467)

For me, it's a complete waste of a mechanic. To me it seems they just added it for the lulz "because we can" and then did nothing with it. The whole marriage, having children/forming a family system is terrible and underwhelming. It lacks soo much depth, so much dialog, so much interaction, that having a child and then playing as them is just a pure cosmetic feature in the end. If they expanded it, made the children age faster, add more interaction with them (you can't even see them until they grow up?? Damn nice absent parents we are in this game lol), maybe it would be an interesting RPG mechanic, right now it's useless
I'm playing the beta, so I might be a bit ahead, but there are interactions as they age, key choices, a coming of age (with a huge boost of skill points to start out their level 1 careers. The kids make great caravans, and they don't limit how much family you can have either. My longest campaigns, I only play the main character, but I usually end up with 8 or so of my kids running caravans after I push them into trade throughout their early life. So, imo, the dynasty system isn't a waste, so much as it is a part of life in Calradia that can be used or not with little harm.

In my longest play I've got the reins of my heir 1 time.
but basically there wasnt much to do then, as there was no land to conquer etc.
The dynasty feature is kind of waste in the current form, "takes to long" to lvl them up so to speak(no not really if you do it right) - but since there is just endless wars in my play(peace is overall to short 30 days is too little) I pretty much end up conquering the map on 1st character or I just stop playing as it gets boring with endless/constant war with no down time.

They really need to add more depth to diplomacy like some mods I'm tracking have, cant wait for this game to be out of EA and there is a stable release that modders will rally around and it wont be hassle playing with mods.

It's one of my favorite features in the game, and most of my playthroughs see at least one generational change, and often two or more. My favorite long-term playthrough is to start with a pure merchant character who basically just accumulates money and levels trade, without getting involved in any factions (and thus staying out of wars), until they can buy fiefs. All that money then goes into establishing a foothold for a new kingdom, and children are raised with more military-minded training so that they can wage war effectively once they're in charge. The next generation then starts their world conquest with a solid power base of happy well-developed cities producing a steady supply of gold, and lots of trained troops - but without any strained relations with other lords.

That said, I also spend an inordinate amount of time micro-managing the clan. Marriages are carefully arranged to forge connections with influential families, but also to ensure the right mix of cultures (since babies inherit mother's culture) for future governors. Family members are rotated (or not) between governor and field duty to min-max the desired skills.

I absolutely love it, I had a mod for it for warband and am so glad they added it for BL. I can’t wait to see how far I can get into a playthrough. Wonder if I’ll ever make it to the 1200s o.0

My favorite long-term playthrough is to start with a pure merchant character who basically just accumulates money and levels trade, without getting involved in any factions (and thus staying out of wars), until they can buy fiefs.
Huh. It is interesting. I also love trading but how do you manage to pass so much time without war and not getting bored? I mean, without war, other things you can do in the campaign map so minimal and boring for me.

Huh. It is interesting. I also love trading but how do you manage to pass so much time without war and not getting bored? I mean, without war, other things you can do in the campaign map so minimal and boring for me.
Different ppl different strokes.

I cant answer for the op, but I too get abit bored without some action once in a while, my solution for this is to be merc at times.
Usually for factions that tend to be ganked upon by other factions around them.
This way I also release the lords I capture - build relations and skill up charm etc - Immortal charm ftw!

Npcs dying of old age is really negligible to the balance with longer or shorter pacing, the greatest impact comes from death in combat and the shorter yearly cycle of pacemaker mod really improved the population of clans since children grew faster and were married off to make offspring of their own before their clans were severely depopulated from the constant fighting that goes on Calradia.

To be honest,m I think the odds of dying in battle and of old age need adjustment.

It would be a cool system if not for the fact that dying either by battle or old age takes too long, and making it faster would also suck. Unlike in Total War, you're playing as one character whom you get really attached to. Their death will hit you worse than the death of a character in Total War, because you're controlling many characters in that game.

It's either dying so much to the point that I don't get attached to my character (pretty much impossible with this model) or no dying at all. Thankfully they do have the immortal mode, but that's not the topic of this thread.

TBH I never cared about this dynasty building thing. For that I have CK3 sleeping on my drive. I'd like to have back 365 days/year world were people go about their business during day and have to sleep during night (so I can rob them blind ?) Normal RPG, not a weird sleepless mute world of wannabe grand strategy.

The longest campaign I have ever played in Bannerlord was 500 ingame days. It is not a feature that is relevant for me nor do I think there is anything that TW can really do that would make it relevant (for me).

That said, I do not mind that the option is there. My only concern is that the vision of very long campaigns might be partially to blame for the (lack of) balance for skill progression.

I have basically used the same build for every single campaign since release since the potentially interesting alternatives takes too long to level to be viable.

Last edited:
I don't like the feature, I'm glad that they gave us the option to turn birth/death off. The current character progression for both the main char and companions is way too slow for me to play with death enabled.

I don't like the feature, I'm glad that they gave us the option to turn birth/death off. The current character progression for both the main char and companions is way too slow for me to play with death enabled.
Well they could introduce some kind of passing skills on the kids (inheritage). Also allowing us to pick which character we control from family. This would allow/expand our playabiltiy. We would get ability to play various builds/characters in 1 playthrough. Bored of fighting? Play your int son. Bored of that too? Play your trader daughter.

Like my idea of bannerlord is having the ability to control my family members and them starting to gather parties at age 12. Also faster time passage. Right now you can beat game before seeing your kid turn 18.

I'm a huge fan of the perma-death and inheritance system. Could it be better? Absolutely; but it's one key feature where bannerlord actually is a genuine step up from Warband. It could potentially lead to semi-endless games.

Also just an additional point on this - Bannerlord needs more features not less. Removing functional mechanics from the game would be a giant waste of resources and time. If you don't like it - just click no-perma death.

Back
Top Bottom