Is the Column formation broken?

Users who are viewing this thread

When trying to be aggressive, I like to use the column formation to move my party or army closer to the enemy’s defensive position. I like the look of the columns, generally, and feel like it makes sense that each portion of my troops should move in that formation if we’re traveling a ways across the map. However, I’ve noticed as of late that it is by far the second slowest (next to shieldwall) when moving troops across the map. Primarily it seems to be because an individual agent (or multiple) will get stuck - usually starting to run sideways or similar - when towards the front of the column. And so the column advances exceptionally slowly, with the AI seeming to struggle with making sense of movement. Any other formation seems be otherwise fine.

This is a shame, since it feels like a column formation should be faster at moving across the map than any other (except perhaps when charging). Has anyone else noticed this or even bothered to use the column formation?

I try to use it for my HAs, and notice they clump up and the second I hit Follow Me or Charge (only way to get them to caracolle) they break into a big blob and get in each other's LOS.

Same thing for the wedge/skein formation. I think shield wall was the only formation really optimized, hope the others get a pass too.

In fact, this formation is practically broken since we (the fans/testers) were able to test it. With a number of bots less than 10 it works fairly well; however with high volumes it is mayhem. The problem is the way the bots try to position themselves in big spaghetti like kindergarten children going for a walk waiting for the companion and taking the hands. All of this talking about the infantry; with cavalry it is utterly unfeasible to try to carry out manual caracoles or cantabrian circles using follow me functions in column formations.

All formations, in my point of view (I've commented it here before ad nauseam) work badly because when charging you lose cohesion due to the bot "deciding" what's best for the formation instead of the player.

I don't know if you have tried Realistic Battle. The bots during cavalry charges with this mod maintain a minimum cohesion in formations (in line is very noticeable); why not in Native? I don't know... do the devs know?

giphy.gif

I try to use it for my HAs, and notice they clump up and the second I hit Follow Me or Charge (only way to get them to caracolle) they break into a big blob and get in each other's LOS.

Same thing for the wedge/skein formation. I think shield wall was the only formation really optimized, hope the others get a pass too.
The skein seems to work okay for at least cavalry. I do wish there was a “raise shields” command as I’d love the option to have infantry in another formation.
In fact, this formation is practically broken since we (the fans/testers) were able to test it. With a number of bots less than 10 it works fairly well; however with high volumes it is mayhem. The problem is the way the bots try to position themselves in big spaghetti like kindergarten children going for a walk waiting for the companion and taking the hands. All of this talking about the infantry; with cavalry it is utterly unfeasible to try to carry out manual caracoles or cantabrian circles using follow me functions in column formations.

All formations, in my point of view (I've commented it here before ad nauseam) work badly because when charging you lose cohesion due to the bot "deciding" what's best for the formation instead of the player.

I don't know if you have tried Realistic Battle. The bots during cavalry charges with this mod maintain a minimum cohesion in formations (in line is very noticeable); why not in Native? I don't know... do the devs know?

giphy.gif
You describe it perfectly. And I see from those posts that it’s been an issue since 2019. I’ve actually kept to infantry heavy armies until this last playthrough, so I’m just now seeing the problems with cavalry formations. But have experienced the infantry formation problems regularly over the last year.

I’ve not yet tried the Realistic Battle Mod but I see nothing but good things about it. I’ve wanted to experience all the changes in each patch (sigh) so I’ve kept it simple. I’ll have to try it out soon.

Back
Top Bottom