Is Smithing fixed/nerfed yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Last I played banneerlord was 6 months ago, and back then smithing was a broken source of income. Is this still the case or is it fixed?

This + siege AI is what I'm currently waiting for before I start a new campaign. So basically I'm never gonna play again lol

This is actually quite difficult to fix.

Reasons:
1. The value of items in the game is much too high.
2. Javelins do too much damage.
3. The base value of a weapon is determined in large part by how much damage it does.

If you let players craft powerful weapons, they will always be worth too much money. The only way to fix this would be to reduce the overall value of items in the game and reduce the amount of damage the most powerful weapons do. I highly doubt Taleworlds will do either, making this problem unfixable.

There is a mod that reduces the value of items in the game and that mod will reduce the value of crafted items. This is the only fix that I am aware of.

When they "fix" the smithing.. The outcry over how they can't play the game anylonger because they go broke, will be way higher than the cry from people who can't restrain themselves from abusing the system and cry about it need to be nerfed.

This is actually quite difficult to fix.

Reasons:
1. The value of items in the game is much too high.
2. Javelins do too much damage.
3. The base value of a weapon is determined in large part by how much damage it does.

If you let players craft powerful weapons, they will always be worth too much money. The only way to fix this would be to reduce the overall value of items in the game and reduce the amount of damage the most powerful weapons do. I highly doubt Taleworlds will do either, making this problem unfixable.

There is a mod that reduces the value of items in the game and that mod will reduce the value of crafted items. This is the only fix that I am aware of.
That is most definitely not the only way to fix it.

For starters, there is no reason why the main determinant of the value of a weapon has to be how much damage it does. It should be mostly base material and smithing difficulty, as well as quality of the work itself. If it's cheap and easy to make it shouldn't be worth much, no matter how effective it is in battle. If it's difficult to make and uses expensive materials and is actually made flawlessly, it should be worth a bunch, but you also also spent a lot of money on the materials and a lot of time on skill training.

There are already quality prefixes like "rusty", "cracked", "splintered" and so on, that (I assume) can be attached to an item as it is generated and affect its sale value. So it genuinely should not be a big implementation issue to add more, such as "shoddy", "crude", "subpar", "flawed", "botched", and attach them to items that receive quality penalties in the crafting process. Give them resale value penalties of up to 95% or something.

There are many, many ways you can rework Smithing to be something better than it currently is (including how the skill is trained), especially when you don't have the restrictions on what you can do that modders have. I suspect that's also part of why it hasn't been done yet. When you have many options, it takes longer to figure out the best one. And because Smithing is tied into the general game economy system, it's difficult to re-work Smithing without also re-working the economy, so it makes sense to leave it until later in the Early Access schedule.

In the meantime - single player games don't need to be balanced to be fun. My chosen workaround is to never sell anything I've crafted. I either use it or smelt it.

Last I played banneerlord was 6 months ago, and back then smithing was a broken source of income. Is this still the case or is it fixed?
I hope it never gets fixed, it's a source of income and it's a great source of xp points that really help with the grind that is leveling.

Let's be honest we all have a roleplay in mind, smithing helps us quickly set up every starting point that the character creation can't. It's the same reason that we spend the first 5 to 10 real life days in a new play through of Skyrim on Smithing and enchanting daggers before we actually start playing the game.

It allows us to start with a character more fitting to the roleplay we have in mind.

Honestly the game would become unplayable for me without the smithing "exploit" and maybe the retreat "exploit"

For starters, there is no reason why the main determinant of the value of a weapon has to be how much damage it does. It should be mostly base material and smithing difficulty, as well as quality of the work itself.

That isn't how the game works though. There is ONE value for a sword. It does not matter if it is crafted or spawned as loot or spawned as an item in town's trade goods. The value of the sword is mostly based on the damage the blade component is capable of.

All the items in the game a priced by a single, somewhat complicated routine. There is an insane inflation of the values of items on the high end. If you make the value curve more reasonable, crafted items loose much of their sky high value.

There is a mod called "Make Everything Cheaper" on the nexus that flattens the value curve for all items. Crafted weapons are affected by the mod and their value is much more reasonable. Javelins are still quite valuable though, because of their massive damage.

This hasn't been fixed yet as it isn't an easy thing to do. The games item valuating is just crazy and it is the main thing making this nigh on impossible to address.

Or leave it as is, and the people who are annoyed by it can simply not "exploit" it instead of demanding the option of having fun this way is removed entirely for everyone.

Or leave it as is, and the people who are annoyed by it can simply not "exploit" it instead of demanding the option of having fun this way is removed entirely for everyone.
It's an exploit that will eventually get fixed. It devalues all the other ways you can earn money, making the game objectively less fun. That's why exploits are not features.

You can still just cheat money if this is fixed and you still want to cheese the game, no worries.

Selling basic weapons for xxxxx+ denars is nothing else then cheating money.

It's an exploit that will eventually get fixed. It devalues all the other ways you can earn money, making the game objectively less fun. That's why exploits are not features.

Ah, but fun is relative. Some might think play with numbers and run a caravan from town to town being the best ever, while others think its tedious chore they would like to see burn.

You already have an option for exploiting easily the game: use cheats.

Keeping gameplay exploits in the game for make it easier does not make any sense for me.

You already have an option for exploiting easily the game: use cheats.

Keeping gameplay exploits in the game for make it easier does not make any sense for me.

Do we have to wrap players in bubblewrap to protect them vs themselves? If a player chose to exploit mechanics in a game that is their choice and not forced upon them. It's a single player game, whatever you do only affect you the player, no one else. In my current playthrough on 1.5.9, I was clan level 5 before I could even make a pike or a javelin. None of the shaft recipes did drop at all. I had already 2m+ in the bank before I could "exploit" it if I wanted. You can still make a nice income forge weapons, Even though you don't get those silly prices for them.

Do we have to wrap players in bubblewrap to protect them vs themselves? If a player chose to exploit mechanics in a game that is their choice and not forced upon them. It's a single player game,
Actually, it turns out that, yes, players need to be shielded from themselves when they abuse mechanics to get an unfair advantage. This is why exploits are actually fixed, same as bugs.
It's reasonable to assume that the game designer balanced the challenges and the rewards in the game for the player to have a sense of accomplishment proportionate to their skill and effort. Exploits disrupt that balance and players like you have a hard time resisting abusing exploits.

Back
Top Bottom