SP - World Map Is real-world inspired repositioning on a large scale worth a map revision?

Users who are viewing this thread

4E446EA996CC4EC724ABD3DA48E9182CBF036A5D

Fun with maps :eek:
EEE3BF97091DA5A3E336AC3B130EF73018D8A483

Second draft.

I would also be interested in bringing it closer to the original warband map.
Your map is stunning, and seems a real improvement compared to the one we have in the game, being much less "peppered with mountains and blockades".
But it's still based on the "updated" map in Bannerlord, which itself was a departure of the Warbands one. Don't you think you should base it on the first one, which was much closer to Warband ?

I'm speaking of this one :
8786152200A8E3EB23DA54174B625397D0EF3C97

Also, I think the mountains in your map don't really align the Warband one (they should run all along the south and in the jut in the northwest, and start to be more numerous in the east, with rather large plains in the center instead of the huge moutain range you put here).

I'd love to see your take on a Warband-valid map based on the old Bannerlord map, that would certainly be a MASSIVE improvement over the one we have right now.

@Akka

Certainly, the warband map is that flat because of the technical difficulties of the time. Now there are landscape and orography modelling tools that give a much more realistic touch. For that reason for me, a more mountainous map in this installment is better. Also, in Bannerlord the Battania faction is introduced and the only space available was the centre of the map, which is flat in that area (warband) and "more mountainous" is required for this new lore.
Also the fact that the map has been prepared for future expansion where river and sea navigation is allowed, makes this new design the best scenario for a favourable experience for the player. The constriction points offered by the orography are also, I believe, a point of difficulty that nourishes this new game.

That's why when I comment about this approach to the warband map I refer to the basic shapes (Sargoth in it's right place f.e.), but I'm certainly in favor of an evolution of the map.

@Akka

Certainly, the warband map is that flat because of the technical difficulties of the time. Now there are landscape and orography modelling tools that give a much more realistic touch. For that reason for me, a more mountainous map in this installment is better.
Oh, I certainly agree that the "completely flat" aspect was due to limitations, and a more "hilly" aspect, with possibly highlands and rugged terrain, will be both more natural, logical and varied.
But it was already possible to have "mountains", so I would be more cautious when adding big mountain range, and a good amount of the relief was actually tied to lore (Rhodoks were specifically in mountainous regions hence their heavy emphasis on defensive ranged weapons and spears ; Swadia was famous for its heavy cavalry, made powerful by flat plains, etc.) so I think a "faithful" map should keep this into account. Samely, the Empire was originally a confederation of cities, and that implies that they could somehow communicate easily between themselves, so I'd say the core region of the Empire should have a rather lenient topography (which tie in pretty well with the central plains of Warbands).

So yeah, I agree that giving more character to the map compared to the very basic Warband one is good, but I don't think literally moving mountains is required, and it would actually be counter-productive.
Also, in Bannerlord the Battania faction is introduced and the only space available was the centre of the map, which is flat in that area (warband) and "more mountainous" is required for this new lore.
Good point, and it would make Battania very vulnerable to just be a flat plains. But I'd say, the Celtic feeling of Battania combined with Warband precedent make me feel it should more be "hills and forests" than "mountains". Like the big druidic forests of Gaul.
Also the fact that the map has been prepared for future expansion where river and sea navigation is allowed, makes this new design the best scenario for a favourable experience for the player. The constriction points offered by the orography are also, I believe, a point of difficulty that nourishes this new game.
Water navigation would certainly make the big inner seas less aggravating, but that's not here for a long time.
That's why when I comment about this approach to the warband map I refer to the basic shapes (Sargoth in it's right place f.e.), but I'm certainly in favor of an evolution of the map.
I don't mind "evolution", but I think it's good to still keep with the general configuration for the very rough approximation, like as you say shapes and, as I'd say, mountains.

In regard to Batania it seems like many ppl forgot that Celts were not just in Britania, Central Europe but also in Asia Minor - even their name is "crying loudly": Galatians.

In regard to Batania it seems like many ppl forgot that Celts were not just in Britania, Central Europe but also in Asia Minor - even their name is "crying loudly": Galatians.
You're right, but I think it's pretty clear that the Celts from which the Battanian draw inspiration from, are of the Brittany/Britain variety, due to how their names sound, their geographical position and their appearance.

6992E7394091C83E129BABA9D5DE6B8DDCABB270

7AA5924698CBC744769D8F23257D03B25DC48D90

FCE8CAF7698FC6F340BBD794BAC45BE05AB6DC57

I thrashed those maps for Svadian-Rhodok river.
16FB5A73A1731CAD600E2966B2DC8FA2036113F4

EEE3BF97091DA5A3E336AC3B130EF73018D8A483
DDAE79F2863B67E2FCB56388F59FE5334289EE07
5A2A1BB8416570B2AB86F1B94A27464695E431AB

0EE6091DF868BCC47BAE841839F93F55576ED164

Gud times
49BA719045C258813E7C8316C8CBEE043C17666A

Last edited:
I wanna give a feedback about thoose 2 lakes in Western Calradria @Akka @Terco_Viejo ,adding lakes in Western Calradria is Scientific (Geographic and Social Scientific) because of people gain more habitatating chance to make farms (Agricultural civilizations) and we are gaining more oppurtunity for more cities or civilizations.
*TRASHED POST*

Last edited:
We have talked at length about repositioning settlements, types of orography, roads and so on. When I look at the map, it still creeps me out to see Sargot in the south and I have thought about this kind of carom. I would like @cuce to take a look at it and if possible comment with regard to the pros and cons that could cause the proposed relocation. I hope that the diagram using arrows is easy enough to be understood.

Diagram conceptSimulated
5RvFr.jpg
oawTr.jpg

Edit: I've done a photomontage because I'm too lazy to download the beta tools on purpose to move just a couple of settlements in the editor...:lol:

Last edited:
We have talked at length about repositioning settlements, types of orography, roads and so on. When I look at the map, it still creeps me out to see Sargot in the south and I have thought about this kind of carom. I would like @cuce to take a look at it and if possible comment with regard to the pros and cons that could cause the proposed relocation. I hope that the diagram using arrows is easy enough to be understood.

5RvFr.jpg

+1

Diagram conceptSimulated
5RvFr.jpg
oawTr.jpg

Edit: I've done a photomontage because I'm too lazy to download the beta tools on purpose to move just a couple of settlements in the editor...:lol:
I like it, +1, but I think Charas should remain as it is or be more eastern, for example take place of Usanc castle.

I like it, +1, but I think Charas should remain as it is or be more eastern, for example take place of Usanc castle.
+1 It would not be a bad idea to exchange these positions. But there I personally have a dilemma :lol: .

The current map is beautiful and in my eyes it beats any previous version; however, the positioning of the settlements in specific cases would make me cry at their current location.
Speaking strictly of Vlandia. I consider that all that southern "rocky" coastal part where Charas is located in the Native, there should not be any city, more than anything to preserve a "geographical prequel" heritage if you allow me the expression.

For me the coastal towns par excellence should be Praven (personally I would place it on the coast - imperial heritage - exchange positions with Drapand Castle), Sargot MUST be repositioned as a coastal town back to the north. And on the other hand, if one day river/maritime navigation mechanic were implemented, in my opinion Ocs hall and Jaculan should have access to the sea by river and thus we would keep that "geographical prequel" heritage here too.

Last edited:
I wish at least the part of the old vibrant vista to be back, current map is beautiful, but vista colors (most of the seasons) are sort of washed out across the whole map.
It used to be like this, and it could be improved upon with just a tad bit of regional difference (neglect the obvious geographical changes)
1000.png
1000.png

Back
Top Bottom