Is it too late for TaleWorlds to scrap the current MP component and start anew?

Users who are viewing this thread

flashn00b

Sergeant at Arms
Between playing Warband MP, BL MP, and Chivalry 2, I actually can't help but wonder if it'd be worth it for TaleWorlds to scrap their version of the multiplayer mode entirely and have MP development be outsourced to another company, while TaleWorlds themselves focuses entirely on the singleplayer component.

In fact, I can't help but think that the best studio to make a multiplayer component for TaleWorlds' game isn't TaleWorlds themselves, but rather Torn Banner Studios. For the most part, they seem to have a decent understanding on how to balance the rather delicate relationship between melee and ranged combat, so if we're not going to see a full release of Bannerlord any time soon (if ever), perhaps it'd be worth it to have a "Multiplayer 2.0" developed by a third party? Another reason i'm asking this is because I've noticed a lot of resentment from singleplayer mains who think that TaleWorlds is wasting too much time focusing on a mode that already lost a huge chunk of players to well... Torn Banner.

I mean it's never too late to change decisions, only problem is, if they're aiming to finish the game soon, then it's too late
I don't think they plan on finishing Bannerlord ever is the thing. Which makes me wonder if there's much to lose if they scrap what they currently have and hire a third party developer to rebuild multiplayer from the ground up.

Ideally, I think Torn Banner Studios would be the best candidate for developing a Multiplayer 2.0, but I think we can agree that we can't trust TaleWorlds in making a multiplayer component for the Mount&Blade games moving forward.

They literally added a ranking system for it, as if people will want to play through the mess just to earn a medal

So I started steam today and saw a Bannelord patch.. yeah!

then read the patch notes and saw it was only for SP.

I was disappointed, but then I realized their niche is SP campaign they need to cater that first, but I think its pretty much complete.

DEVS need to focus in MP now.

that being said, talking of scraping current MP is nonsense, also comparing it to chival2

that being said, talking of scraping current MP is nonsense, also comparing it to chival2
Having a third party would still likely be a major improvement to Bannerlord's multiplayer, i think. As it currently stands, TaleWorlds has a very specific vision for BL MP that is objectively wrong as evidence shows. There are probably other developers that i'm forgetting who could make a better Bannerlord multiplayer mode than TaleWorlds themselves but the point is that such developers exist.

Last edited:
Another useless thread by "flashnoob" lol. Do you seriously believe what you write? Why would TW ever hand out MP to another company to develop, especially developers of Chivalry. M&B and chivalry are nowhere close but you wouldn't know since you don't play Bannerlord. It's too late and MP will never be good until they release custom servers.​

Another useless thread by "flashnoob" lol. Do you seriously believe what you write? Why would TW ever hand out MP to another company to develop, especially developers of Chivalry. M&B and chivalry are nowhere close but you wouldn't know since you don't play Bannerlord. It's too late and MP will never be good until they release custom servers.​
If i'm perfectly honest about the state of Bannerlord's multiplayer, I seem to be the only sane person in the face of TaleWorlds' intentional imbalancing between all-archer teams being able to make inf and cav unplayable, while certain classes are either too powerful or too weak relative to their gold costs in the rare occasion that both teams have enough honor to make inf and cav playable.

Have you ever stopped to think why Bannerlord has lost nearly all of its multiplayer userbase to its Epic Exclusive counterpart, with the only people still playing Bannerlord being the people who outright refuse to give Tim Sweeney any amount of money? Because from what I've seen so far, people are perfectly cool with certain factions and units being clearly better or worse than others whenever players don't decide to steamroll everything with an all-archer team, while the option to steamroll everything with all-archer teams is still there.

Last edited:
If i'm perfectly honest about the state of Bannerlord's multiplayer, I seem to be the only sane person in the face of TaleWorlds' intentional imbalancing between all-archer teams being able to make inf and cav unplayable, while certain classes are either too powerful or too weak relative to their gold costs in the rare occasion that both teams have enough honor to make inf and cav playable. Have you ever stopped to think why Bannerlord has lost nearly all of its multiplayer userbase to its Epic Exclusive counterpart, with the only people still playing Bannerlord being the people who outright refuse to give Tim Sweeney any amount of money?
The only class that is unbalanced is cavalry. You can couch forever even going uphill, couch hitboxes are broken and you can run into other cav or teammates and not get reared unlike warband. Archers is almost useless, they're not as accurate as they used to be and inf can catch archers pretty quickly. But you don't know these things because you don't play the game or maybe you're not able to. You've proven it many times:

Bannerlord MP has lost almost all of its playerbase withing the first 2 months. There was thousands of ppl queuing for skirmish/captain when it first came out. People realized that the game is trash and won't ever be good. Most of them either went back to warband or to another games. Do you have any evidence of most of the lost players playing chivalry instead of bannerlord? No you don't. Why make useless threads about a game you don't play then? Lol

Best call they could make it either outsource multiplayer to a 3rd party or completly revert back with classes to the warband system where you just have inf, cav, archer and the just put your equipment together instead of inbalanced perks. The weapons are there, The armor is there, The game modes are there. Classes are already a thing why not put it back to the 3 basic classes and let everyone pick their **** for themselfs.

The only class that is unbalanced is cavalry. You can couch forever even going uphill, couch hitboxes are broken and you can run into other cav or teammates and not get reared unlike warband. Archers is almost useless, they're not as accurate as they used to be and inf can catch archers pretty quickly. But you don't know these things because you don't play the game or maybe you're not able to. You've proven it many times:
Archers aint that useless the system is a bit different from warband and archer has always been a heavy hour skill investment to do it properly people still seem to not be used to the current system. Aim itself aint to inaccurate either you just gotta give a bow more time to settle not draw and when the string is back instantly fire you have to wait a good second and it stabilizes

I don't even have to try hard to get in the top 5 with playing archer the aim is fine it's better then warband and more realistic in anyway which I actually prefer over the warband archery sheningans. Yes they get caught up easily but that's fine especially when you're playing heavy archer classes like palatine guard and fians.

MP aint too bad most of the weapons are fairly balanced it's just the same 5 maps over and over again with the same 3/4 factions that is killing it. Either taleworlds need to remake maps, put in current singleplayers maps that have slightly been revised for MP, custom servers and scrap multiplayer fully and bring it back to the warband system we know and love with the classes.

Best call they could make it either outsource multiplayer to a 3rd party or completly revert back with classes to the warband system where you just have inf, cav, archer and the just put your equipment together instead of inbalanced perks. The weapons are there, The armor is there, The game modes are there. Classes are already a thing why not put it back to the 3 basic classes and let everyone pick their **** for themselfs.

Archers aint that useless the system is a bit different from warband and archer has always been a heavy hour skill investment to do it properly people still seem to not be used to the current system. Aim itself aint to inaccurate either you just gotta give a bow more time to settle not draw and when the string is back instantly fire you have to wait a good second and it stabilizes

I don't even have to try hard to get in the top 5 with playing archer the aim is fine it's better then warband and more realistic in anyway which I actually prefer over the warband archery sheningans. Yes they get caught up easily but that's fine especially when you're playing heavy archer classes like palatine guard and fians.

MP aint too bad most of the weapons are fairly balanced it's just the same 5 maps over and over again with the same 3/4 factions that is killing it. Either taleworlds need to remake maps, put in current singleplayers maps that have slightly been revised for MP, custom servers and scrap multiplayer fully and bring it back to the warband system we know and love with the classes.
Archer is nowhere as good as it was in release. You didn't even have to have a good aim before, the crosshair was way too accurate. I agree that archers can be useful but it's very situational imo. In some closed maps, you can get rushed as archer and not have an opportunity to shoot. OP claims archers are unbalanced and and all archer team can roll any team lol. He also believes shields are useless and arrows go through your shields.

Archer is nowhere as good as it was in release. You didn't even have to have a good aim before, the crosshair was way too accurate. I agree that archers can be useful but it's very situational imo. In some closed maps, you can get rushed as archer and not have an opportunity to shoot. OP claims archers are unbalanced and and all archer team can roll any team lol. He also believes shields are useless and arrows go through your shields.
I mean, shields going through arrows might not be too much of an issue in a 1v1 context but when you have multiple archers raining hellfire on your ass, you're more likely to die sooner than your shield.

I actually have stuck around for Bannerlord's multiplayer, surprisingly enough. It's just that during Epic Games' Lunar New Year sale was when I finally decided that I had enough with all the imbalances that TaleWorlds insisted on keeping in their game. It also doesn't help that a lot of people on the Steam forums resent the fact that Bannerlord has a multiplayer mode even though it's basically the M&B combat system without the tedium of appeasing nobles, shooing off bandits and hoping you live long enough to build up what most major factions consider to be a scouting party, let alone an actual army.

I wanna think that if TaleWorlds decides to pony up and hire a third party to make a "Multiplayer 2.0", the singleplayer crowd would be pleased to know that TaleWorlds' development team is focusing entirely on the singleplayer, while the MP crowd might actually play Bannerlord again just to see how the new dev team would do things differently. And much more likely than not, a third-party developer would likely have a greatly different design philosophy on what Bannerlord's MP should be for the better.

I also love how you say that a lot of the MP playerbase decided to go back to playing Warband though if my experience with the NeoGK server is of any indication, most of the regulars have actually moved onto other games, and Bannerlord's multiplayer has ultimately failed to be the successor to what Warband had to offer.

Last edited:
I mean, shields going through arrows might not be too much of an issue in a 1v1 context but when you have multiple archers raining hellfire on your ass, you're more likely to die sooner than your shield.

I actually have stuck around for Bannerlord's multiplayer, surprisingly enough. It's just that during Epic Games' Lunar New Year sale was when I finally decided that I had enough with all the imbalances that TaleWorlds insisted on keeping in their game. It also doesn't help that a lot of people on the Steam forums resent the fact that Bannerlord has a multiplayer mode even though it's basically the M&B combat system without the tedium of appeasing nobles, shooing off bandits and hoping you live long enough to build up what most major factions consider to be a scouting party, let alone an actual army.

I wanna think that if TaleWorlds decides to pony up and hire a third party to make a "Multiplayer 2.0", the singleplayer crowd would be pleased to know that TaleWorlds' development team is focusing entirely on the singleplayer, while the MP crowd might actually play Bannerlord again just to see how the new dev team would do things differently. And much more likely than not, a third-party developer would likely have a greatly different design philosophy on what Bannerlord's MP should be for the better.

I also love how you say that a lot of the MP playerbase decided to go back to playing Warband though if my experience with the NeoGK server is of any indication, most of the regulars have actually moved onto other games, and Bannerlord's multiplayer has ultimately failed to be the successor to what Warband had to offer.
TaleWorlds already have a plan for multiplayer and they're working on it. I don't think they can ever revive multiplayer without custom servers. Everyone already know that TaleWorlds is mainly focusing on singleplayer, there's only like 2 devs working on multiplayer. Trying to let a 3rd party to develop multiplayer would be pointless and no better than what its current state.
Most warband vets played the game during first few weeks and either went back to warband or to other games. They still play battle almost everyday. Warband literally has more playerbase for mp than bannerlord lol. You claimed that players went on to play chivalry but haven't provided any evidence for that yet. I don't think anyone left to play chivalry, the game is just bad and they're waiting for the servers.

Buy a 2nd TW studio and decidate it to MP development. Xfer the current MP devs to this new studio and make them head of the developement. It can be a studio anywhere, doesnt matter where, so long they are enthusiastic and decidated. When I say studio, I dont nessesarily mean a well estabilished multi million company, can also be a group of young dedicated nerds or a newly started company in a developing country.

Win/win

Win/win

It's only a win-win if the other studio isn't as much if not more out of touch with the multiplayer than taleworlds is.

You all think a studio that understand what people want for multiplayer is going to pop out of existence somehow

don't understand, are these ridiculous "suggestions" or questions serious?
Do you trust TaleWorlds' current team with making a proper multiplayer mode for Bannerlord?

As i've mentioned before, a lot of people on the Steam Forums resent the fact that a multiplayer mode exists since they think that work being done on multiplayer is not work being done on singleplayer, while multiplayer mains are dissatisfied with TaleWorlds' way of handling M&B multiplayer in some shape or form. Am thinking that if development of multiplayer was outsourced to another company, the SP mains will be pleased to know that TaleWorlds will focus entirely on the singleplayer while people playing multiplayer would be glad to know that a (most likely) more capable developer can take TaleWorlds' place in making a multiplayer mode.

Back
Top Bottom