Is anyone else having trouble burning through enemy faction's high tier troops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Apocal

Grandmaster Knight
So, 1.6.1 added a feature where:

Settlement Actions (Town, Village, Castle and Hideout)
  • Notables now provide elite troops instantly instead of first creating a basic troop and then upgrading it to an elite troop.
OK, sounds good.

But I've noticed that the war flow has changed.

It used to be I'd have to beat up a few armies, but around a handful of complete whelps, the faction I was hurting would run out of high tier troops. Their new armies would be 60-75% infantry and half of those would be recruits. It made sense and allowed a degree of freedom when besieging settlements because the recruit-heavy armies couldn't beat me and generally wouldn't even try.

But now I'm hitting around my tenth army and Vlandia still has less than 10% recruits in its army. It makes it pretty difficult to actually besiege a settlement because the fifth army to show up still has a bunch of high tier troops in it. And the one after it. And the one after that one.

Is anyone else seeing this in 1.6.1?

@Apocal very interesting, have you been keeping an eye of kingdom strength and if you've whittled it down at least?

I haven't gotten to test yet, but IME vlandia has always been annoying with constant armies because of their 11 starting clans especially once they had a chance to age up and fill out all their low tier clans.

@Apocal very interesting, have you been keeping an eye of kingdom strength and if you've whittled it down at least?

I haven't gotten to test yet, but IME vlandia has always been annoying with constant armies because of their 11 starting clans especially once they had a chance to age up and fill out all their low tier clans.
Faction strangth went from 20K down to 10-13K, fluctuating because they keep firing and hiring mercs.

OK, sounds good.

It used to be I'd have to beat up a few armies, but around a handful of complete whelps, the faction I was hurting would run out of high tier troops. Their new armies would be 60-75% infantry and half of those would be recruits. It made sense and allowed a degree of freedom when besieging settlements because the recruit-heavy armies couldn't beat me and generally wouldn't even try.

But now I'm hitting around my tenth army and Vlandia still has less than 10% recruits in its army. It makes it pretty difficult to actually besiege a settlement because the fifth army to show up still has a bunch of high tier troops in it. And the one after it. And the one after that one.

Well... Maybe is it working as expected?
I mean Callum clearly stated that they had something to help with the problem of constant "recruits-mainly" armies.
Vlandia and Aserai may become now stronger than ever with constant decent tier troops armies...

I haven't been having any issues stomping all over Vlandia with my current game. Probably about 50-50 junk troops and real troops and their party sizes are often pretty small.

OK, sounds good.

Good changes,it seems you're not complaining,just wanting to check if it's common or only your save.
Hopefully it's universal and not only you.

I haven't been having any issues stomping all over Vlandia with my current game. Probably about 50-50 junk troops and real troops and their party sizes are often pretty small.
Did you do a fresh start? I'm playing on a fairly old save (from January or thereabouts) so it might be a residual issue from carrying it over so many patches.
Good changes,it seems you're not complaining,just wanting to check if it's common or only your save.
Hopefully it's universal and not only you.
I'm actually complaining a bit because before it was easy (IMO) to win a few big battles then siege down (starve 95-100% of defenders) of a town and get reasonable terms for peace as a result. It felt more like a real war where destruction of field forces meant sieges and being able to carry sieges would earn the winner peace without having to fully beat the loser into pulp.

OK, sounds good.

This is however exactly what we wanted for a long time.

Did you do a fresh start? I'm playing on a fairly old save (from January or thereabouts) so it might be a residual issue from carrying it over so many patches.

I'm actually complaining a bit because before it was easy (IMO) to win a few big battles then siege down (starve 95-100% of defenders) of a town and get reasonable terms for peace as a result. It felt more like a real war where destruction of field forces meant sieges and being able to carry sieges would earn the winner peace without having to fully beat the loser into pulp.

Id be concerned if it led to a worsening of the Groundhog Day effect when sieging, where you have to fight a dozen battles to take a city. When I'd prefer field battles to be much more rare and more meaningful.

What I am noticing is most of lords are pretty poor in early/mid game, and Vlandia is getting crushed in my 1.6.1 campaign by WE. Most of lords have 40-70 men parties and Vlandian armies are composed of 600 men as much.

@Apocal have you started a new campaign in 1.6.1 or it is an old save?

EDIT: I have just read that you are playing an old save. If you start a new campaign in 1.6.1, you will notice a pretty different scenario where everyone is simply too much poor except the player.

But that's good.
Otherwise is just too easy to snowball as a king/vassal.

OK, sounds good.

Playing as NE on Day 650 in 1.6.0 .

Vlandian armies are usually 20-30% recruits after routing a few of them, playing very defensively because most of the empire is fighting in the east. I notice Derthert keeps returning with swarms of knights, but the other lords are weaker. Surprisingly the most dangerous thing to my forces is their crossbowmen. Their armies tend to be 1/3rd crossbowmen, only half of them levy, and my cavalry is too busy chasing down their knights to deal with them. Cataphracts destroy Vlandian knights, sending them scattering about the field, causing any charge order to send my own cavalry chasing after them rather than the crossbowmen who are just freely shooting.

My guess is that AI has been given daily XP to their troops, and Vlandia's bonus to XP gain synergizes well with this. Or perhaps they've been taught to hunt bandits when they're too weak to fight the player.

It's noticeable that there's less recruit spam but I consider it just +loot and not a problem. TBF I'm stealing thier first slots of troops perpetually anyways so it may undermine it a bit, but hey that's the game. Anything the AI gets I get to use too. Unless they purposely give the AI cheat stuff, then BOO! But so far TW don't like to do that.
I'm on a fresh start and I feel there's a positive change in thier parties but not enough to become a problem. If they're fielding high tier armies against you repeatedly then yeah maybe it because of carry over conditions or perhaps it can become like that at a later game state. I'm still in the early game in 1.6.1 as a vassal around day 250-300. I've been a little busy this week and it's cut into my bannerlord playing.

To be honest, I'm liking the more higher tier troops.

It gives it a challenge and I'm glad it was incorporated into the base game. Right now I have to use a Realistic Battle Mod module to give me higher tier troops.

I've found Vlandian clans have low loyalty compared to other factions, so they have the numbers, but are also easier to "flip".

I was playing the game in similiar state of balance for almost a year (due to volunteers up tier mod) and what works for me is to just imprison half the nemy faction (just go to nearest friendly town / castle after every big battle). After few battles they have hard timy fielding enough armies against me.

Back
Top Bottom