SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Inverted troop upgrades vs denar magic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wait, what the **** is denar magic ?

To upgrade a vlandian recruit into a levi crossbowman he needs to stab others in the face with his pointy stick (polearm), then a lord has to throw some denars at him and speak the magic words: "levi crossbowman", and he turnes into a levi crossbowman, with skills in crossbow, despite the fact he never held a crossbow in his hands. Ever. Never ever. I would call this: denar magic.

And what are inverted troop upgrades ?

Buy your recruits the equipment they are supposed to use, when you can afford it. Have them gain experience while using that equipment and turn into a tier 2 unit when they are ready. So instead of deciding what your recruit has become on a whim, you (and all ai lords) have to tell every recruit what they are supposed to become. And buy them the equipment required to do that. Want your imperial recruits to become bowman, then give them a bow. Want your sturgian recruits to become sturgian warriors, give them a shield and some very basic armor. And THEN they gain experience towards becoming a tier 2 unit.
When a city is under siege, it's weapon chambers full with bows/xbows and arrows/bolts, why would you not hand those weapons out to your recruits? I would give them to women and children too if i hade spare ones. But no, they have to stab someone with a spear or sword or axe first, to know how to use a bow or wear a leather vest. Why? You can be king, your treasure chamber overflowing with wealth, but lacking good soldiers to fight an invading army. Get your recruits some gear? Nope. Training? Nope. Looter genocide? Of course! (Really? I mean really really?)

Some of the benefits of inverted troop upgrades are (but not limited to):

1. Less kings and lords with armies of peasants. Well they are still recruits but they would look more like an army.
2. More distinct factions on the battlefield. Yes the recruits use different weapons, but the "peasant blob" is always the same. Giving them a little bit of faction equipment can make every faction more unique on the field of battle.
3. Stay truth to bannerlords "learning by doing" level/skill system
4. Make more of a difference between a poor and a rich lord/king
5. Increase the potential threat of ai lords, completly without (additional) cheating. (Can you kill 100 recruits with xbows without loosing a single unit?)
6. Make it easier to setup a very basic garrison.
7. No more denar magic!

What needs to be looked at:

1. Not to give a recruit with 0 weaponskill a weapon that has skill requirements, for example, a 20 skill crossbow.
2. Mounted recruits should not be a thing. No mounts for reasons of balance i would say.
3. Balance in general will be turned upside down, but that could be tested in an alpha branch (or a mod if nothing else)?
4. Increased wages? Maybe 1 for a basic recruit, 1 extra for the equipment and another one for the finished tier 2 unit (3 denars)?
5. Impact on autocalc. Basic recruits could actualy be reduced to no tier, like peasants. Or use a value between tier 1 and 2 for recruits with equipment.
6. Giving them a proper name. Like vlandian aspiring levi crossbowman, but in good. Vlandian crossbowman recruit? something along those lines.

So, friendly forum users, what do you think of this suggestion ? Could this help make the game better? Have i overlooked some aspects? Maybe im just dumb? But i think this would be waaaay better than the current system. Please let me know! And have a nice day!

P:S: This Post is supposed to both be a serious suggestion and for the reader to have a bit of fun.

I like the idea of changing the leveling up system. Clicking and paying 100 denars to give someone armour that costs 50,000 denars when he only makes 20 a day while I'm wearing rags seems very primitive to me. Equipment can be seperate to level and it would be neat if troops had an equipment tier beside their skill tier so economics can be represented in how well the army is armed. Then you limit the equipment level to skill tier +1 to implement the training system so recruits can pick which upgrade to load up as.

The problem is that at the moment armies explode after one bad battle and are recruited in the thousands by the ai while recruiting is far more tedious far players. Until we get more options to preserve our troops like better retreating and buying back our captured troops more investment into my troops will make me more paranoid.

I think the conundrum, though, of recruits becoming archers by stabbing looters becomes less conspicious when we get training fields that actually do anything so hopefully we'll never have to march to war with recruits again. In Warband my training skills always beat the upgrades out of my recruits before we got to battle.

Back
Top Bottom