SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Introduce internal conflict within a kingdom with Claimants. Also Ambush mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Claimants are Lords or famed individuals who hail from factions that have either been outcasted, exiled, outlawed, whatever.

My idea so far: Battanian Claimant, blonde-haired long-mustached, falx wielding crazy guy. Face and body tattoos, typical woad warrior type. Doesn't like the nobility of a monarch that Caladog has brought forth. Prefers to duel his opponents rather than hide behind the battlefield with a shield or bow. When you take up his banner, he will lead an army of mostly unarmored but savage falx-men. If you manage to help this claimant usurp the kingdom, Battania's cultural policy will be overhauled, as well as troop composition. Policies will generally benefit everyone more equally, but maybe a setback on prosperity and security for towns. Armies will field less archers and skirmishers and focus more on raw melee damage and speed. I'm talking fast sprinters with giant cleavers. Glass cannon armies of savages. Hell, throw in a new noble troop only when this claimant takes over. Some type of Rhomphalia-wielding, heavily armored bearskin savage on a horse or something. Something to make a tradeoff that compensates for previous weaknesses that the kingdom had. Was Battania having a hard time cracking those Imperial or Sturgian shieldwalls? Well now with their new ruler, the entire kingdom focuses more on using two-handed weapons and javelins to open up the pesky turtles.

My point is if there were to be any form of Claimant/Revolution component added to this game, it would need to feel like the player is actually changing a kingdom's culture to

In another suggestion, I thought ambushing should be a function in the game that requires the party to have no more than 50 troops (can be increased with cunning perks, max 100?). With this smaller number of troops, the party enters a stealth mode that many nobles cannot detect (depending on their scouting level). A special encounter menu appears when in this mode to ambush the enemy party, allowing preliminary troop positioning, boosted stats for the attacker and lowered for defenders for the first 30 seconds of the battle simulation.

This ambush mechanic would be introduced to allow for the ability for tactics like an army of all rangers, savages, bandit factions to have a tactical advantage in encounters.

+1 I like this idea!

A "failed" ambush setup should be close to a reverse ambush though! so as the ambusher, there are more risks than just a normal battlefield, should the defender detect it in time! :smile:

+1 for Claimants. Right now, the ruling clan of a kingdom is pretty much glued to the throne. It would make everything feel more dynamic if upon a king's death, some familly members or in-laws could contest the succession.

Back
Top Bottom