Intra-Unit Missile Wounding Should Not Take Place

Users who are viewing this thread

Zarthas

Knight at Arms
The game's AI is not designed to avoid hitting allies at all costs. The vast majority of the time it is just not a consideration, as it is not possible for friendlies to shoot each other in Single Player. AI Troops within the same unit should not be able to shoot each other at least at very short ranges. They should still be able to hit their Captain, as you are a human and can get out of the way. I'm just really tired of watching my Recruit viciously stick a pilum in his neighbors head while he innocently stands there. I absolutely did not tell him to blatantly murder his friends.

Friendly Fire between Captain Units is good game design. It encourages missile troops to pay attention to fields of fire and allied Captains to be aware of each other. It punishes bad play and creates a decision point on when it is acceptable to risk friendly casualties.

Friendly Fire within a unit will still somehow happen when all my Skirmishers are standing in a straight line in loose formation with appropriate facing commands with no one around to confuse them. This randomly punishes players for playing appropriately, and heavily punishes a class that is already borderline useless.

It also makes it very difficult to use advancing, or retreating, fire as a Skirmisher. This is a problem, as the only time the AI can actually consistently hit a target with a thrown weapon is when they are fleeing from you (due to the AI aiming for headshots with an absurdly inaccurate weapon). Skirmishers are built as mobile harassers, but playing them that way will result in being randomly punished with troop death.

As a player, you will already be punished for allowing this Ghost TK to happen by having that Projectile disappear instead of reaching an opponent. I do not need the double punishment of losing the Throwing Spear due to the AI's foolishness and losing a troop with it.

It is also absurdly abusable by a rambo Solocav, as anyone who has ever played this game will agree. Its a no-brainer to trade one of your light cav for several Rangers as they shoot each other to bits trying to hit your fancy dancing pony.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom