• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Revilo

Grandmaster Knight
Into the fires of Mount Doom!
An AAR of Third Age: Total War​
Image_2_-_Map_of_Middle_Earth.jpg
Timeline:
    Year 2 - Planting of the Second White Tree at Minas Tirith, Death of Isildur by Orcs in the Disaster of the Gladden Fields, losing the One Ring in the Gladden river
    109 - Elrond weds Celebrían, daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel
    129 - Elrohir and Elladan are born to Elrond and Celebrían
    241 - Arwen Undómiel is born to Elrond and Celebrían
    490 - Easterlings invade Gondor
    541 - Easterlings invade Gondor once more, slaying King Rómendacil
    c. 550 - King Turambar of Gondor defeats the Easterlings of Rhûn; the Kingdom of Rhovanion becomes an ally of Gondor
    861 - Following Eärendur's death, the kingdom of Arnor breaks up into Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur
    933 - Eärnil I of Gondor takes Umbar in a surprise attack
    936 - Eärnil I lost at sea
    c. 1000 - The Wizards come to Middle-earth
    1015 - Hyarmendacil I ascends throne of Gondor
    1015 - Black Númenóreans of Umbar besiege their old city
    1030 - Siege of Umbar ends, Umbar retaken by Black Númenóreans.
    1050 - Hyarmendacil I, king of Gondor, conquers Umbar, Hobbits migrate to Eriador. The shadow of Sauron falls upon Greenwood the Great, which is renamed Mirkwood.
    1149 - Death of Hyarmendacil I, Atanatar II takes the sceptre of Gondor
    c. 1200 - Rulers of Rhovanion assume the title "King of Rhovanion"
    1248 - Rómendacil II of Gondor strikes decisive blow to the Easterlings; forms a strong alliance with Rhovanion, to which he cedes all the lands east of Anduin
    1255 - Eldacar born
    c. 1259 - Castamir born
    1300 - Nazgûl reappear in Middle-earth, the kingdom of Angmar first appears at Arthedain's north-eastern border, built by the Witch-king, later revealed as Lord of the Nazgûl.
    1344 - Death of Vidumavi
    1356 - King Argeleb I of Arthedain is killed during an invasion by Rhudaur, now controlled by Angmar; his son, Arveleg I, ascends the throne
    1366 - Valacar ascends the throne of Gondor
    1409 - Cardolan is conquered by the kingdom of Angmar and Rhudaur disappears; Weathertop watchtower and fortifications are burned and destroyed
    1432 - Eldacar succeeds his father, Valacar, as king of Gondor
    1437 - Castamir the Usurper, Lord of Ships, usurps throne of Gondor; Osgiliath's palantír is lost in the river
    1447 - Eldacar reclaims Gondor with a Rhovanion army and kills Castamir
    1448 - Sons of Castamir the Usurper and most of the fleet of Gondor flee south to Umbar; become known as the Corsairs of Umbar
    1540 - King Aldamir of Gondor is slain by Haradrim
    1600 - Two Fallohide brothers decided to cross the River Baranduin and settle on the other side, and are followed by large numbers of Hobbits
    1601 - The Shire is first settled by Hobbits
    1634 - Corsairs of Umbar attack Gondor, slaying king Minardil at Pelargir, and raiding the city
    1636 - The Great Plague decimates Gondor and Rhovanion; Cirith Ungol is abandoned
    1810 - King Telumehtar of Gondor destroys Umbar; renames himself Umbardacil
    1851 - The Wainriders first attack Gondor
    1856 - The Wainriders overrun eastern territories of Gondor; death of Narmacil II in battle.
    1899 - Gondor attacks Wainriders from the east; the Kingdom of Rhovanion, occupied by Wainriders, rebels and is freed
    1936 - Ondoher succeeds Calimehtar as king of Gondor
    1944 - During an invasion by the Wainriders and the Haradrim, King Ondoher of Gondor is killed in battle with his sons; Haradrim, Wainriders and the Variags of Khand take Umbar; new Corsairs of Umbar emerge.
    1945 - Eärnil II succeeds the crown of Gondor
    1964 - Arvedui, son of King Araphant of Arthedain, ascends the throne
    1974 - The kingdom of Arthedain is conquered by Angmar
    1975 - Gondor destroys Angmar in the Battle of Fornost, death of Arvedui
    1980 - The Moria Dwarves awaken Durin's Bane, a Balrog, which kills Durin VI, king of Khazad-dûm; the Nazgûl return to Mordor and lay siege to Minas Ithil.
    1981 - Durin VI's son, Náin I, is also killed, and the Dwarves flee Moria; deaths of Amroth and Nimrodel
    1999 - Erebor is founded by Thráin I, discovers Arkenstone
    2043 - King Eärnil II of Gondor dies and his son, the Witch-king's old enemy, Eärnur inherits the throne. Upon his coronation, the Witch-king challenges him to combat, but King Eärnur refuses.
    2050 - The Witch-king again challenges King Eärnur, this time he accepts. Eärnur rides out of Minas Tirith to meet the Witch-king in Minas Morgul. He enters the city's gates and is never seen again, thus ending the reign of the Gondorian Kings and causing the beginning of the Ruling Stewards of Gondor, until the time of King Elessar.
    2063 - Gandalf drives Sauron from Dol Guldur. The Watchful Peace begins.
    2210 - Thorin I, son of Thráin I, leaves Erebor with most of his people, settles in the Grey Mountains
    2430 - Approximate birth year of Sméagol
    2460 - Sauron returns to Middle-earth; establishes himself in Dol Guldur in southern Mirkwood. The Watchful Peace ends.
    2463 - Sméagol (later known as Gollum) becomes the fourth bearer of the One Ring, after killing his cousin Déagol
    2475 - First Uruks appear out of Mordor in attacks on Gondor.
    2501–2510 - Eorl the Young, lord of the Éothéod and first king of Rohan (2510–2545).
    2509 - Cirion, Steward of Gondor, sends summons to the Éothéod for military aid; Celebrían is waylaid by Orcs, receives a poisoned wound, and consequentially departs Middle-earth
    2510 - The alliance between Rohan and Gondor comes into existence. The Easterlings launch a massive invasion of Gondor. The Balchoth invade Rhovanion (which disappears as an independent realm) and Gondor, conquering much of Calenardhon, but are driven back by the people of Éothéod; Gondor gives the now-uninhabited province of Calenardhon to the people of Éothéod
    2545 - Eorl the Young, king of Rohan, dies in the battle in the Wold against the Easterlings. Brego succeeds him as the second king of Rohan
    2570 - Aldor, aged only 26, becomes third king of Rohan at the death of his father Brego; Dragons attack the Dwarf settlements in the Grey Mountains
    2589 - Dáin I and his son Frór are killed by a cold-drake
    2590 - Thrór, son of Dáin I, leaves the Grey Mountains and resettles The Lonely Mountain, his brother, Grór, settles in the Iron Hills
    2645 - Fréa becomes fourth king of Rohan after the death of his father Aldor ('the Old')
    2659 - Fréawine, fifth King of Rohan
    2680 - Goldwine, sixth King of Rohan
    2699 - Déor, seventh king of Rohan
    2718 - Gram, eighth king of Rohan
    2741 - Helm Hammerhand ninth king of Rohan ascends the throne as last king of the first line
    2746 - Amrothos, fifteenth Prince of Dol Amroth, falls while defending Dor-en-Ernil against the Corsairs of Umbar
    2747 - Bandobras "Bullroarer" Took leads a force of hobbits and defeats invading Orcs of the Misty Mountains in the Northfarthing at the Battle of Greenfields
    2758 - Dunlendings, under Wulf, invade Rohan, supported by the Corsairs of Umbar
    Long Winter of 2758–2759 - The Dunlendings lay siege to Hornburg
    2759 - Helm Hammerhand, king of Rohan, freezes to death outside the fortress of Helm's Deep, where he and his loyal subjects have taken refuge from the Dunlendings. He is succeeded by his nephew Fréaláf Hildeson; Saruman settles in Isengard
    2770 - Smaug lays waste to the town of Dale and captures Erebor with all of its treasure. The surviving dwarves there are driven into exile.
    2790 - Thrór enters Moria and is killed by Orc chieftain Azog, starting the War of the Dwarves and Orcs
    2798 - Fréaláf Hildeson, tenth king of Rohan, dies. He is followed by his son Brytta Léofa
    2799 - The Battle of Azanulbizar, the culmination of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs, is fought on Moria's East Gate, in which the Dwarves defeat the Orcs of Moria, including slaying their chieftain Azog, but lack the strength to retake Moria.
    2802 - Thráin II, son of Thrór settles in the Blue Mountains
    2842 - Brytta Léofa, eleventh king of Rohan, dies. Succeeded by his son Walda.
    2845 - Thráin II is captured by forces of Sauron and imprisoned in Dol Guldur after having wandered for four years trying to reclaim the lost treasure at Erebor and the last of the Dwarven Rings of Power is taken from him
    2850 - Gandalf enters Dol Guldur and confirms that the evil thereby found is indeed Sauron returned; Thráin II, broken, raving, and dying, gives Gandalf his map and key to be passed on to his son, Thorin Oakenshield
    2851 - Walda, twelfth king of Rohan, is killed by an orc, his son Folca succeeds him
    2864 - Folca, thirteenth king of Rohan, is killed by the Boar of Everholt. He is succeeded by his son Folcwine
    2879 - Birth of Gimli
    2885 - Harondor is once again claimed by the Haradrim, supported by the Corsairs of Umbar. Fastred and Folcred, the twin sons of king Folcwine, were killed during the Battle of Crossings of Poros
    September 22, 2890 - Bilbo Baggins is born
    2903 - Folcwine, fourteenth king of Rohan, dies and is succeeded by his youngest son Fengel
    2907 - Birth of Gilraen (later wife of Arathorn II)
    Fell Winter of 2911–2912 - wolves invade the Shire. Tharbad is ruined in the following floods.
    2930 - Arathorn II becomes the Chieftain of the Dúnedain
    2931 - Birth of Aragorn, son of Arathorn II and Gilraen
    2933 - Arathorn II is killed while hunting Orcs
    March 15, 2941 - Thorin Oakenshield meets with Gandalf the Grey at the Prancing Pony in Bree, the Quest of Erebor begins
    July, 2941 - Bilbo Baggins obtains the One Ring; the White Council drives Sauron out of Dol Guldur
    October, 2941 - Esgaroth is attacked by the dragon Smaug, who is consequentially killed by Bard the Bowman; Thorin Oakenshield, Fíli, and Kíli killed at the Battle of Five Armies along with Bolg son of Azog; Dáin II Ironfoot becomes King of The Lonely Mountain; Town of Dale reestablished by Bard
    June 22, 2942 - Bilbo Baggins returns to Bag End
    2951 - Sauron reveals himself in Mordor, and starts raising Barad-dûr anew. Estel, later known as Aragorn, comes of age and is told about his heritage; the Corsairs of Umbar officially ally themselves with Mordor and destroy great monument commemorating Ar-Pharazôn's victory over Sauron
    2953 - Last meeting of the White Council. Fengel, fifteenth king of Rohan, dies. His son Thengel returns to Rohan to succeed him.
    2956 - Aragorn first meets Gandalf the Grey
    2957-2980 - Aragorn as Thorongil serves in the armies of King Thengel of Rohan, and Steward Ecthelion II of Gondor
    September 22, 2968 - Frodo Baggins is born
    2978 - Birth of Boromir
    2980 - Arwen pledges her hand in marriage to Aragorn; Frodo Baggins loses both of his parents in a boating accident; Aragorn, in the service of the Steward of Gondor Ecthelion II leads a taskforce south and kills the Captain of the Haven, ruler of Umbar; Samwise Gamgee born; Théoden, son of Thengel, becomes seventeenth king of Rohan after the death of his father.
    2982 - Birth of Meriadoc Brandybuck (Merry)
    2983 - Birth of Faramir
    2989 - Frodo Baggins comes under the guardianship of Bilbo Baggins; a company of Dwarves, led by Balin, try to recolonize Moria
    2990 - Birth of Peregrin Took (Pippin)
    2991 - Birth of Éomer
    2994 - Balin is killed; the dwarf-colony in Moria is destroyed
    2995 - Birth of Éowyn
    3001 - Bilbo Baggins turns 111, passes the One Ring on to Frodo Baggins, and leaves the Shire. From now on Aragorn and Gandalf intermittently hunt Gollum
    3002 - Lalia Clayhanger, the matriarch of the Took clan, dies, aged 119, and possibly pushed by Pearl Took; Bilbo settles in Rivendell
    3007 - Gilraen, Aragorn II's mother passes away at the age of 100 years
    3014 - Saruman begins using his influence to weaken Théoden, king of Rohan
    3017 - Gollum is released from Mordor; Aragorn finally tracks him down in the Dead Marshes, and brings him as a captive to King Thranduil's halls in Mirkwood

My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles and Proudfoots...

Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday! the day I finally start to try and write a successful AAR, inspired mostly by my love of Tolkien and also in no small way by Arch's brilliant AARs about various games.

The aim is to keep this fairly updated and to play right through to either the destruction of Sauron, all free people of middle earth or my own, sure to be grisly, end. It will be the Third Age Campaign (not the fellowship one) with a starting faction of whatever the majority wants. (Refer to the poll, kthx.)

I've only ever played as the two elvish factions (Silvan and High Elves) so hopefully I can try a different faction. Everything will be on Very Hard/Very Hard as it's supposed to be, and I will be playing with a MODDED game although this is only certain tweaks and improvements to make it more interesting. I'll give the exact list of what I started with option wise when I start this thing off.

Hopefully this will generate enough curiosity for it to be as interesting for me to write it as it is for you to read it (hopefully).
icons3r.png

Factions:

tatw1.jpg
tatw2.jpg
tatw3.jpg
tatw4.jpg
tatw5.jpg
tatw6.jpg
tatw7.jpg
tatw8.jpg
tatw9.jpg
tatw10.jpg
tatw11.jpg
tatw12.jpg
tatw13.jpg

Hopefully we'll get started later today, I've got a Chemistry exam in a few hours.

I'd say Isengard, the beginning is pretty hard, and it's pretty awesome knowing that you're spreading industrialization across middle-earth... with the pike end.

I am quite tempted by an evil faction to be honest, although I'm leaning more towards Mordor than any of the others. Let's see how the poll goes though.

Mordor always came across to me as you original generic run of the mill evil faction with a little bit of everything. Isengard on the other hand, makes me think of what would have happened if the Orcs in Arcanum formed a pre-renaissance army.

Both elven factions are very strong and fun, but unfortunately they play too slow for a decent AAR. I vote for Isengard, lot's of battles there  :razz:

WAAARRRGHHHHH! The Uruk marxist uprising! Down with the human despots, the elven oligarchs, and the Mordor slave owners! A new era will be prodded into existence at the pointy end of the pike with Christopher Walken Lee at it's cleft!

I'll give it until about 7:00pm GMT (about 1 hour 40 mins from now for those on other times) until poll get's locked and the warring begins.

Deadline is being extended another few hours guys - mate is having a girl crisis and I'm heading over to see what I can do. Always the bloody moderator of these things...

Anyway, chocks away when I get back.

Back
Top Bottom