Interior and exterior in scene editor

Users who are viewing this thread

So I was messing around with the scene editor and saw an castle exterior and interior, I would like to know how should I apply them, is the interior of the castle a seperated file?

Solution
My idea was to make a castle interior possible to enter without loading screens, similar to the gate interior in sieges.
But I might try do a interior for the castle in blender, maybe the interior could be rescaled.
An interesting thought. Some of the smaller buildings in the scene editor (some tents and shacks) have a door and can be entered. In addition, many of the castle gate houses and towers and the like can be entered. However, in terms of interior rooms and halls and the like where you would want to add detail and character, these are typically designed as their own scene.

I'd imagine the biggest reason is that this allows interiors to be customized via the scene editor rather than constrained by whatever their outer...
@NPC99 So If I perhaps wanted to join the two together, could I remove a door to make it possible to come in or would I be better off doing a new interior in blender and export to the scene editor?

Upvote 0
@NPC99 So If I perhaps wanted to join the two together, could I remove a door to make it possible to come in or would I be better off doing a new interior in blender and export to the scene editor?
That's probably not possible. The internal scene's are much bigger than the external buildings that are supposed to contain them. A bit like Dr Who's Tardis. :smile:
If you try anyway, let me know how it turns out.

Upvote 0
My idea was to make a castle interior possible to enter without loading screens, similar to the gate interior in sieges.
But I might try do a interior for the castle in blender, maybe the interior could be rescaled.

Upvote 0
An interesting thought. Some of the smaller buildings in the scene editor (some tents and shacks) have a door and can be entered. In addition, many of the castle gate houses and towers and the like can be entered. However, in terms of interior rooms and halls and the like where you would want to add detail and character, these are typically designed as their own scene.

I'd imagine the biggest reason is that this allows interiors to be customized via the scene editor rather than constrained by whatever their outer proportions are for the exterior asset. Imagine, for example, having to redesign an entire town space because you needed to make certain rooms, etc. bigger after the fact. Or having to deal with looking at 100's of objects inside something else you added. It would make the viewing rather tedious. It is weird if you are used to building in something like say, the sims, where interiors and exteriors are handled together. However, handling these separately has its benefits when you want to design complex interiors.

So, in terms of the mod tools, those two files (I think that is what you saw?) were designed with this intention and are two completely different scenes. There is no way I can think of to try and merge the two together. If you want them to exist in one setting, then both exterior and interior need to be designed in one scene. This is how it is done with any interior for MP for example. However, those interiors are somewhat limited in their complexity from prefab. It doesn't mean you can't improve upon them. For example, below I have made a prefab gatehouse in the scene. If I go into it, I can still add stuff to accent it. Through the door in second image you can see an unfinished part of the rest of my scene.

r5Tvy.png

xCi2j.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Yes, I was thinking of making a total conversion mod with my own creative storyline and the amount of loading screens in warband was too much, they seem to be cutting some in bannerlord and I was hoping castles interiors could be one.
But anyway I was thinking of creating a town and start with the exact sizes to match the interiors with exteriors, maybe if possible just edit some castles exteriors and build right into it an interior, if doesnt have some performance issues related too but I hope not.

Btw @NLCRich is it possible to edit castles(like their structure, walls, windows) in the scene editor or just in an external program like blender?

Upvote 0
There are some things you can do in the scene editor in terms of overlaying mesh and colors. You could for example take a stone gray castle and make it Mordor black. Other than that, you could arrange the external castle pieces (wall etc.) to make whatever kind of courtyard area and such that you want, and you can position the prefab towers however you want. For the items that have interiors, you can add other objects inside those interiors as well to create diversity. So there is a lot of room for creativity in each scene depending on how you place the prefabs. In terms of playing with the geometry and shape of each piece, there is not a whole lot you can do in the mod tools right now. I haven't played with importing assets but that is something else I hope to get into. I know you can use blender to create new stuff for the game, but I'm not sure if anyone has tried to bring new assets into the scene editor yet with this. I've been playing in blender and am trying to understand the process for getting new assets into the game, but I'm not qualified to answer questions on it at this point. I just have a pretty good handle on the scene editor right now. I'd think you'd have some options in terms of whether you wanted to design just the castle frame in blender and add modifications in the scene editor, or whether you wanted to add decor to it directly in blender as part of the base asset.

A community guide has been created and workflows have been determined for some asset types, but scene assets has not yet been explored. In the official documentation of the mod tools, it mentions you can add objects from the resource browser, but little more. If I look at the resource browser, I see all of the TW TPACs but I'm not sure what other file types (if any) it accepts.

Below is the community guide on assets:

Upvote 0
For some Native assets such as the three parts of vlandia_city_house_a_interior you might want to go the other way and build outer walls around the internal assets.
TGj6f.jpg

You can export Bannerlord buildings with TpacTool and play with them in Blender. You'll even find some of Bannerlord's architectural textures aren't locked in gtex tilesets, so these can also be exported with TpacTool. You can then reimport the meshes as fbx files provided Blender doesn't mess up the normals etc. during your edits.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom