INT character woes, 1 week re-roll blues, character build discussions, Engineering, Medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Made new character of course for 1.7, made a cunning/INT build as I always feel I would like to use the MC for the INT roles, however after a week of it I feel I would in fact rather have had other stuff instead. This happens every time, when I make a Soc build I think I would rather have INT stuff, when I make the INT build I would rather have the Soc stuff. Of course charm getting some sweet upgrades isn't helping. I also join Derthhert this game, it's too easy, I have almost all of Battania, well I guess it's day 642 so it's been a lot of play anyways.
Here's my character, actually pretty good for int skills:
8JvMN.jpg

Steward: So yeah, I didn't invest in steward much yet... that's because actually it's really good to have basically everyone in the clan take turns doing it, since they're all going to be a party leader or new vassal eventually.... so yeah just haven't gotten to it...even at 600+ days (I can close the out the map via execution in less then that in other games). I always like the idea of having steward on the MC but in practice.... it's just so easy to use someone else and it help that member out so much!
Medicine: Well, I did pretty well, but I had to use a ton of infantry and cavalry and basically let the them duke it out every battle, I used my clan parties packed with ranged to clean up. I tried the starvation trick once but it was actually pretty slow and a waste of time. Of course you need good leadership or you will get moral too low doing that and lose troops, so don't try it at home if you don't have it! I wanted to go let forest bandits shoot my guys too but I actually could never find them when I went looking, I'd see them when my party was too big though and they'd surrender! Anyway I still think medicine needs some quest or activity to help build it up and also a small daily tick like steward! There's got to be plenty of other medical stuff to do for hundreds of troops! I just don't like having to get KO's and heal them because I have to play bad on purpose. Also, the time to get to 120 skill (the amount a wanderer can have) is a long span of the game, so it's very appetizing to just wait for one of them!
Engineer: First time trying to really do it on MC. It's improved a lot since the early version of the game and some perks are really helpful! Of course, I realize I'm actually missing out on a lot of it's benefit since my MC can't be a governor to use the upgrade +speed. To crank it up I basically did my normal siege routine but then after the walls were down I build all the other gear too while bombing enemy gears. It was better the I expected but of course gets slow after 125! Of course doing this you get a conga line of enemy armies, but that's a good thing as I can't chase them around with my big bulky clan party army, so it's like they bring the loot to me and let ram my infantry and cav for medicine! It is silly though how many armies will keep coming. The other issue is of course, as a vassal the kingdom may want peace so that's why I always treb the wall down first, so I can keep making gears until it gets down to like 2 hours to vote, the finally do the siege before peace gets passed. One thing of interest though is the Tactics perk "Make them Pay" (and it's alt) are for engineer, I don't know how to get 175 tactics on a NPC, it'd be cool if there was a carry over type effect where you could still get this perk form the MC and have somebody else be engineer! Well I think it's a good skill, but like medicine, a daily tick and other activities would help a lot. An engineer would do more things for an army then just siege gear.

And as always, scouting in so sweet and so good. Mounted patrols + keen sight, still amazing even as a vassal! Melee skill can eat a ?, I can 1 shot everyone with the long glaive, win any tournament, the skill is just not needed at all.

Although I like the idea of covering the INT roles as MC, I actually revert back to wanting to focus more solely on what only the MC can do for the clan. I also realize I can do stuff like switch the steward to engineer just when sieging, so using a high int family member for both is somewhat possible. I wish we could just assign multiple roles though.

Well probably gonna start a new game and see how it's goin on Monchump and moosie's side of the map!

Last edited:
I started 1.7.campaign with "I don't need companions at all, and F smithing too" motto, so my build is 10 Intellectual, 7 Social and a minimum of 3 Cunning needed to reach "Keen Sight". Took a lot of solo looter shooting to get all attributes and focus points, though.

I'm holding all roles for my party and it's going pretty good. I running as mercenary making absurd amounts of money from loot and contract and waiting for rebellion to crush and start my own kingdom. Maybe I will forfeit this part and join as vassal, because rebellions is too scarce in my game, got only one in 10 years.

Steward: Agreed, you are the only one who can keep high fooddiversity. Its better used to rotate your governers and party leaders.

Medicine: Yeah, too impractical to level. If you are hell bent on going inf/cav heavy I guess you might consider it. But, even then I would use an actual healer for the battles and swith-in your char to gain xp from healing the wounded in-between.

Engineer. Nothing that is really impressive for a party leader.

Scouting. The opportunity cost is too large for my taste; its very useful early. By the time you will actually reach the interesting party related stuff you will long since have reached the point where you spend most of your time in siegecamps or going to the next siegecamp. However, I tend to play "EU IV" stile (crush them, peace out, crush the next, peace out, repeat..) so keen sight isnt particularly crucial for me.

Charm. Couldnt imagine life without it:wink:

I'm holding all roles for my party and it's going pretty good. I running as mercenary making absurd amounts of money from loot and contract and waiting for rebellion to crush and start my own kingdom. Maybe I will forfeit this part and join as vassal, because rebellions is too scarce in my game, got only one in 10 years.
just starve the town you want to rebel - buy everything consumable and sell in some town far away (otherwise caravans form a train to resupply starving town), repeat that every week, so they start loosing troops very fast...

just starve the town you want to rebel - buy everything consumable and sell in some town far away (otherwise caravans form a train to resupply starving town), repeat that every week, so they start loosing troops very fast...
Ohh good god!

It hurts my very soul to read this. I want to conquer a couple of rich fat towns, not destroy them.. arghh...pain..

Ohh good god!

It hurts my very soul to read this. I want to conquer a couple of rich fat towns, not destroy them.. arghh...pain..
ha, by conquering you mean... kill them all? :xf-cool:
it is even easier if town belongs to your enemy - all you need is stand close to the gates, scearing all willagers and caravans and town fall into your hands for free....

ha, by conquering you mean... kill them all? :xf-cool:
it is even easier if town belongs to your enemy - all you need is stand close to the gates, scearing all willagers and caravans and town fall into your hands for free....
Noooo, now you are being cruel.

I of course borrow an army from the neighboors, swoop in and grab the richest cities.

With a minimum of damage you savage barbarian!

Melee skill can eat a ?
It's quite the conundrum. Back in Warband we could be an invincible warrior cutting down hordes of enemies by ourselves with high ironskin and absurdly fast swings. Bannerlord is going the more "realistic" approach, and that itself is not wrong, but it's not fun. Melee skills become useless because you will die when you get ganged by 3 enemies on foot, which is, again, realistic, but not fun. It would be better if we had more small fights scenario in which those melee skills can shine.

I don't know what I want with melee skills to be honest. I guess I'd rather it be like Warband. If we're investing precious points into vigor skills, they better be fun to use.

It's quite the conundrum. Back in Warband we could be an invincible warrior cutting down hordes of enemies by ourselves with high ironskin and absurdly fast swings. Bannerlord is going the more "realistic" approach, and that itself is not wrong, but it's not fun. Melee skills become useless because you will die when you get ganged by 3 enemies on foot, which is, again, realistic, but not fun. It would be better if we had more small fights scenario in which those melee skills can shine.

I don't know what I want with melee skills to be honest. I guess I'd rather it be like Warband. If we're investing precious points into vigor skills, they better be fun to use.
They should put skill requirement on some weapons and have the swing speeds be slow and reduced damage with skill below certain thresholds. In warband weapons felt slow and clumsy if you had low skill. In Bannerlord the zero skill character feels fine and can easily win tournaments and 1 shot Elite cataphracts with a good weapon. I regularly ride directly into cavalry formations and glaive them to death left and right with my KG's, with just my 18 (capped) polearm skill. If I could I would also re-do the melee perks so there's more synergistic effects if people want to use more then1 weapon and some other special effects too, especially the 275 ones. As is there's a very few goodies like +hp and + party size, but there needs to be more and to make vigor investment more useful and the ultimate perks should do some other benefit besides personal+ speed/damage, which is not even needed. Same for control too, although the perks for bow and xbow are pretty good, I think some synergistic and ultimate effect besides just damage/speed would be good.

I'm reading and learning. :smile:

Question: What's good about higher Tactics skill if you almost never simulate battles?
You get a grab bag of perks that do other things, +10 party size, +10% summoned army party speed, minus army cohesions, +25 influence form winning battles and so on. It's not a priority but if you have high cunning you might as well. You get tactics skill when troops in you party kill an enemy, in live battle, so it's easy to get. Also, late game it's no problem to put you good troops in a garrison and take less precious ones out and just auto-calc them into all your enemies, which you can do with very little losses with very high tactics.

Back
Top Bottom