Instant Rout after going down in battle. Intentional or just confused AI?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I have a particularly difficult battle as Vlandia against Western Empire. I am outnumbered, however with good placement of crossbows and me leading the calvary charges I am quite confident I can win. However, I keep going down late to mid fight by random javelin or arrow and then IMMEDIATELY, all my crossbows and infantry just start running away and gather into a big ball where the empire proceeds to just range them down until their infantry can swoop in for the kill. Meanwhile the calvary just keeps one by one galloping into a wall of spears and swords and get mowed down.

I understand if I go down the troops should maybe panic or get disorganized but there are other leaders there and it shouldn't lead to just an INSTANT ROUT. Is this by design and kind of a penalty for going down or is it just up to buggy AI?

Just to be clear, do you mean your men actually rout (i.e. flee the field) or do they just form that stupid circle formation on a hill or somewhere similar?

In the latter case, that is the AI's normal response to a force with superior ranged power -- and yes, it is dumb -- but they aren't routing. They are trying to protect themselves until the enemy runs out of arrows.

Yeah i mean the latter. They just bunch together until dead basically. Its stupid thought because I came to this battle with like 92 crossbowmen although I guess maybe the problem is they are running out of ammo?

Whatever the case I won the battle and have moved on. Playing with a strict vlandian roster is more difficult than I thought. Having trouble finding enough squires as well.

Playing with a strict vlandian roster is more difficult than I thought. Having trouble finding enough squires as well.

That's actually case with all factions may be with exception of Khuzaits. I always end up recruiting large portion of my armies from prisoners.

Just to be clear, do you mean your men actually rout (i.e. flee the field) or do they just form that stupid circle formation on a hill or somewhere similar?

In the latter case, that is the AI's normal response to a force with superior ranged power -- and yes, it is dumb -- but they aren't routing. They are trying to protect themselves until the enemy runs out of arrows.
I thought it was their response to cavalry. I thought it was their version of a spear crown, but without the ability to brace their spears properly against cavalry, its really not very effective. Clumped together like that they just make themselves a large target for archers, especially when they fill the center with their own archers. They make one giant target of themselves.

I thought it was their response to cavalry. I thought it was their version of a spear crown, but without the ability to brace their spears properly against cavalry, its really not very effective. Clumped together like that they just make themselves a large target for archers, especially when they fill the center with their own archers. They make one giant target of themselves.
I'm not in disagreement, but I'm fairly certain it isn't a response enemy cav superiority because I don't usually have more/better cav than the enemy I face. It could be, code-wise, the game doesn't discern between types of mounted units for purposes of deciding their tactical stance but I don't know and I'm pretty burned-out on checking when and why tactics fire. Maybe one of the heroes who actually know will chime in.

Hey, signed up to respond to this post. You need the Realistic Battle Mod AI Module. Aside from generally improving the AI in all aspects, it removes useless, broken, suicidal formations like the Circle one you've described. Keep in mind that I wouldn't necessarily recommend the other modules like the Combat one, but the AI one is essential.

Realistic Combat Mod

I'm not in disagreement, but I'm fairly certain it isn't a response enemy cav superiority because I don't usually have more/better cav than the enemy I face. It could be, code-wise, the game doesn't discern between types of mounted units for purposes of deciding their tactical stance but I don't know and I'm pretty burned-out on checking when and why tactics fire. Maybe one of the heroes who actually know will chime in.
I am pretty sure you have more experience playing than I do, so I bow to your experience on the subject.

Yeah that's a really annoying thing the AI does. Mostly seems to be in response to when the enemy has a lot of archers.. And always wastes troops. Oh gods the battles i've seen lots or near wins turned into pyrrhic victories.

They really should just disable the Circle formation from the AIs repertoire.

So I have a particularly difficult battle as Vlandia against Western Empire. I am outnumbered, however with good placement of crossbows and me leading the calvary charges I am quite confident I can win. However, I keep going down late to mid fight by random javelin or arrow and then IMMEDIATELY, all my crossbows and infantry just start running away and gather into a big ball where the empire proceeds to just range them down until their infantry can swoop in for the kill. Meanwhile the calvary just keeps one by one galloping into a wall of spears and swords and get mowed down.

I understand if I go down the troops should maybe panic or get disorganized but there are other leaders there and it shouldn't lead to just an INSTANT ROUT. Is this by design and kind of a penalty for going down or is it just up to buggy AI?
Thats what you get for playing with vanilla AI.

Thats what you get for playing with vanilla AI.
Well I am not against using mods or anything I just haven't explored the mod world of Bannerlord as I just got it about a month ago. I never played the original either but I am aware mods became a major part of the longevity and re-playability of that game. Any suggestions for best mods to use? I see the one's in your signature so I guess that is a couple I could try off bat.

Back
Top Bottom