Installing New Items without Python

Users who are viewing this thread

With the directions that you posted doesn't that make all the horses/armors/weapons the same as the one weapon or what ever you copied it off of?

WrathofWoe said:
With the directions that you posted doesn't that make all the horses/armors/weapons the same as the one weapon or what ever you copied it off of?

exactly so.

however, with some research, and playing around, you can fugure out what each of the fields mean.

a brief help:

a line from python....

["saddle_horse","Hackney", [("saddle_horse",0),("horse_c",imodbits_horse_good)],
itp_merchandise|itp_type_horse, 0,
112 ,abundance(50)|hit_points(100)|body_armor(25)|difficulty(1)|horse_speed(35)|horse_maneuver(30)|horse_charge(5),imodbits_horse_basic],

and the same line, compiled:

itm_saddle_horse Hackney Hackney 2  saddle_horse 0  horse_c 34360000512  65537 0 112 136365473792 0.000000 50 0 25 0 1 100 30 35 0 0 5 0

can you see the relationship? the red 2 indicates two versions (meshes of saddle horse and horse_c); in the compiled, the numbers immediately after the mesh names code in when the meshes are used, in this case, 0 is default and 34360000512 is imodbits_good.

65537 is the code for the combined itp's - for a merchandised horse.

112 = price, idunno what the next number is - prolly the animation code. the following numbers corrsepond - abundace (50), hit_points(100) etc etc

so  you can edit them with a lil practice.

you'll have to do your own pulls for weapons and armors, or locate the old thread that id's those values.

enjoy, maw

Thanks for the Info Maw, I'm working on it right now, though with little sucess XD. It'll just take awhile before I can get it straight :wink:.

WrathofWoe said:
Thanks for the Info Maw, I'm working on it right now, though with little sucess XD. It'll just take awhile before I can get it straight :wink:.

hey, you're welcome.

i want to encourage you, and anyone else that reads this - python is the way to go.

just installing the net framework and the python builder to changes weapon, armor, and horse values is worth it - so much easier to make changes. later, you can start getting fancy, changing troopoad outs, designing new troops, adding dialog and the like.

handjamming is fun in the real short term - but the python building really makes modding come alive. maw

having a little problem here.
i downloaded maw's armor pack.
put the mod_armor file in resource and the texure files into the texture folder.
i then added only 1 of the armors into the item.kinds file following this guide.
when i then attempted to start the game i get error message saying: unable to open texture file Textures\costumes133.dds

so i figured i had simply missed the perticular texture since i checked and it wasnt in the texture folder.
i re-extracted the textures into a new folder to see if it showed, however it didnt show up then either..

is it possible that particular texure is missing from the downloaded file?

crap. yeah, it is missing.

oh, well - if i was perfect then *I'd* have thought up m&b.

I'll fix it next run. thanks for the note.

Hey! i put up 133 in the armor pack thread, you can copy and convert for a temp fix. maw

Hey!
This question may seem silly.
I tried to add these armors folowing your instructions.
I came to point six...

Do I have to add the items myself in notepad? I have also noticed, that in notepad all items have the same numbers behind the name (so I think, that I DO have to add them myself :sad:).

I it will work, must say, that the armors are great, but if it doesen't, I have just wasted some of my time  :lol:

yep. you do have to add the items through notepad, at the end of the item_kinds1.txt fiel. However, you can simply copy an existing armor, and rename it, as well as change the mesh address.... and then edit the stats later, or through the item editor. maw

@maw: hi, can i ask for your help in using your item packs?  i downloaded the helmet pack to include the mamluk helmets in my game, but i'm getting an RGL error.

as per instructions, i copied the brf file to Resources and all the dds files to Textures, then added load_mod_resource = communityhelmets to the module.ini file, below the last line.

i keep getting the error, though - and for some reason my system won't show me the error code, so i can't specify what it is.  what could i be missing?

if possible i'd like to extract the mamluk and ghulam helmets from the file and use only those, since those are the only new helmets i want to add.  (i'm modifying the Rise of the Khergits mod to be set in India c. 1500).  thanks!

PS - do you also have turbans? or how can i take the generic headcloth from Native and make different-colored versions?

dariel said:
@maw: hi, can i ask for your help in using your item packs?  i downloaded the helmet pack to include the mamluk helmets in my game, but i'm getting an RGL error.

as per instructions, i copied the brf file to Resources and all the dds files to Textures, then added load_mod_resource = communityhelmets to the module.ini file, below the last line.

i keep getting the error, though - and for some reason my system won't show me the error code, so i can't specify what it is.  what could i be missing?

if possible i'd like to extract the mamluk and ghulam helmets from the file and use only those, since those are the only new helmets i want to add.  (i'm modifying the Rise of the Khergits mod to be set in India c. 1500).  thanks!

PS - do you also have turbans? or how can i take the generic headcloth from Native and make different-colored versions?

Well, thanks for asking

First, I'm not the OSP 'Helmet Guy' - there's a thread somewhere that you can pop your question, or pm the manager of that. It's by Dindi http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,49476.0.html.

Second, I'd need to know what the RGL error is - it'll say something, like unable to load xxx meshs, or xxx texture, or whatever. Gotta post that in order to start the debug. Take a pic of the RGL and post it.

Third, I don't have turbans myself - but helmets are wicked easy to modify in wings or other programs - cut and merge, mostlty. Then you just play with the dds until the maps match.

Luck, maw

maw said:
dariel said:

Is there an installer or something for this because i see the release date is in 2008, or its still this long method? :grin:

Well, thanks for asking

First, I'm not the OSP 'Helmet Guy' - there's a thread somewhere that you can pop your question, or pm the manager of that. It's by Dindi http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,49476.0.html.

Second, I'd need to know what the RGL error is - it'll say something, like unable to load xxx meshs, or xxx texture, or whatever. Gotta post that in order to start the debug. Take a pic of the RGL and post it.

Third, I don't have turbans myself - but helmets are wicked easy to modify in wings or other programs - cut and merge, mostlty. Then you just play with the dds until the maps match.

Luck, maw

maw said:
musketear said:
Hey Maw i have a problem with my mod. When i put the weapon ingame. The BRF file contains the mesh, the material and the texture reference. And in my texture folder i have the texture too.. When i start i get the error: attempting to reregister texture berserker's dragonslayer. So i deleted the textures in the texture folder. Then another error: get_object failed for texture. I restored the textures in the texture folder and deleted the texture reference in the brf file but this time i also get the same error. So i seek your help maw. If this actually succeeds, it will change my modelling and texturing only history to a modelling, texturing and modding history forever! Please..... :cry:

Edit: Seems like i solved my own problems. Any way thank you! :mrgreen:

first, get_object failed for texture, means that a texture name requested by a brf model file either can't be found or (most likely) you have a blank texture file. read :

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,47041.0.html

and check all the textures in the brf file doing a 'sort' first, then seeing if the first or last one is blank. otherwise, run down them all - if one has an associated material 'default' that also might provoke the error. you may have missed assigning the material to it.

the other error, attempt to reregister texture, just means you had two texture addressess of the same name, and by deleting one, would reolve the problem. i've gotten into the habit of putting all my related files in one brf - mesh, material, and texture - so i can more easily debug when i have issues.

luck, maw

Maybe a noob question but please explain...i found myself an Armor in BRF editor and now i need to find the equal one in the item_kinds1

In BRF its: Name:maille_ssm_10012 Material:surcoat_ssm_1001

Now...you explained with horses but armor is bothering me, am i looking to copy and replace for mail LINE or surcoat LINE or what?

Maybe a noob question but please explain...i found myself an Armor in BRF editor and now i need to find the equal one in the item_kinds1

Now...you explained with horses but armor is bothering me, am i looking to copy and replace for mail LINE or surcoat LINE or what?

search the item_kinds file for the armor you want to replace. for example,

itm_green_tourney_armor Green_Tourney_Armor Green_Tourney_Armor 1  brass_mailvi 0  16777229 0 152 0 15.000000 100 0 20 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

the text in bold refers to the mesh name that you see in BRFedit.  you copy that name (not the material name) over the mesh name of the item you want to replace. for your example this would be maille_ssm_10012.

you can take any armor and replace it with any other armor mesh, same with any horse, or any weapon.  for weapons, though, i only replace weapon meshes with a weapon of the same kind, i.e. i'd replace a sword with another sword, but not a spear.

dariel said:

search the item_kinds file for the armor you want to replace. for example,

itm_green_tourney_armor Green_Tourney_Armor Green_Tourney_Armor 1  brass_mailvi 0  16777229 0 152 0 15.000000 100 0 20 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

the text in bold refers to the mesh name that you see in BRFedit.  you copy that name (not the material name) over the mesh name of the item you want to replace. for your example this would be maille_ssm_10012.

you can take any armor and replace it with any other armor mesh, same with any horse, or any weapon.  for weapons, though, i only replace weapon meshes with a weapon of the same kind, i.e. i'd replace a sword with another sword, but not a spear.

But does this mean my item will have price of brass_mailvi, and status and etc or what?

maw said:
so many requests about installing the new packs. lot of you want to make your own personal mods, but seem to be a little unsure on how to add anew horse, shield, armor, or weapon (also known as items in m&b parley).

i know there are tutorials out there, and i myself have explained it in a couple of threads. but, since i'm the type of guy i am, i'll do it here, for you, my loyal fans, my people. can we do it? YES, WE CAN!

maw's step by step adding items to m&b

1. locate and make a copy of your Native mod. it is found in the m&b directory under Modules. i usually make two copies, and change the name to the mod i will initially work in as Test.

2. there are two subdirectory's within you working mod, locate them. they are Resource and Textures.

3. open the Textures directory under your mod. this is where all related graphic files for the skins are to be placed, also called dds files (direct draw surface). open the pack you want to add, and copy all the dds files to this location.

4. next, open the Resource directory under your mod. this is where the three dimensional mesh is stored for your mod. many meshes are held collectively in a file usually referred to as a brf file. in the case of what i release, it is usually the file that starts with mod_whatever (mod_armors.brf, mod_horse,brf, mod_shields.brf). copy that mod_whatever file here.

i usually, at this time, open up that brf file using the mighty Thorgrim's brf editor found here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,8771.0.html. then i check all the meshes to insure they have dds matches - they should all look nice and pretty, if any pop up white, it usually means a dds file is missing, or that the dds and texture are improperly addressed within the mod. we're not gonna address that here - the easy fix is to delete the white meshes for now, to get the non-problem, meshes in game. NOTE: if you click on any of the fields that can be edited in the brf file, like Name or Material, the material usually defaults to nothing. don't panic - just close the file without saving, and re-open it - it'll come back. at worst, just reload the brf file from the source.

5. next, you must add the new brf file to your mod addressess. if you've opened the brf, and everything checks out, just save it - the first time the brf file will check and see if the mod file has been added to the module's Module configuration settings, a text file found in the module's main directory among all sorts of text files. open that up, and you should see something like "load_mod_resource = mod_whatever" appended to the last line of the file. if you don't see it, add it manually (whatever being the name ofthe mod file, though it has to be the same name of the brf file in your Resources directory). this calls out and opens the file within m&b when it starts, telling m&b all the cool items, the skins, and where they're found.

6. next, you gotta add the items through the module item_kinds1.text file in your mod. be careful - iusually make a copy of this file within the directory so i have a clean base to go back to as i edit, and as i get items in there and they work, i save a working copy so if i screw up i don't redo 100 meshes later. i usually add my new items in batches of 20.  this is the step that two things gotta happen.

first, copy an existing item of the type you're adding. in this example, we're going to add a new warhorse. so - search for 'warhorse' and you'll find....

itm_warhorse Warhorse Warhorse 1  warhorse 0  65537 0 724 41876193280 0.000000 50 0 52 0 4 135 34 36 0 0 18 0

this is what we need to copy and edit. it is called a line item. open up an editor, like Notepad, and copy 20 of them into a new notepad, making sure you add no additional lines or spaces - its gotta have the same format as item_kinds1.txt. don't copy it into item_kinds1.txt yet as you may make mistakes.

now, first change the item name to a unique name for each warhorse. i use warhorse_01, warhorse_02, etc to 20.

itm_warhorse_01 Warhorse Warhorse 1  warhorse 0  65537 0 724 41876193280 0.000000 50 0 52 0 4 135 34 36 0 0 18 0

itm_warhorse_02 Warhorse Warhorse 1  warhorse 0  65537 0 724 41876193280 0.000000 50 0 52 0 4 135 34 36 0 0 18 0

etc.

next, change the mesh name, which in this case is 'warhorse' to one of the meshes in the brf file - which should be open for review on your system. we'll add the first two horses in maw's Horse Pack as an example.

itm_warhorse_01 Warhorse Warhorse 1  black_hunting_horse 0  65537 0 724 41876193280 0.000000 50 0 52 0 4 135 34 36 0 0 18 0

itm_warhorse_02 Warhorse Warhorse 1  cataphract_gold 0  65537 0 724 41876193280 0.000000 50 0 52 0 4 135 34 36 0 0 18 0

you can at this time, rename them to whatever you want by changing the first 'Warhorse' to whatever. make sure you add no additional spaces or lines or it'll hose up the program.

now, the second part...

copy your 20 new horses, edited, to the item_kinds1.txt file AT THE END maintaining the space between items - make it look like all the other items. if you add it anywhere else it shifts the line count for other items. m&b interprets each line item as a line item number, so if 272 is a sword and you add 20 horse before that, sword becomes 292 - and every number after the horses installed hsifts, which changes what items the troops are assigned. just, for right now, add it to the end.

finally, change the line count number, in this case, by 20. the line count number is found before the first line item in the item_kinds1.text file. in native, it looks like this:

itemsfile version 2

where the blue 421 is the line item count indicating all the lines (items) in the file (and in m&b). since you added 20 items, the number needs to go up 20 to 441.

7. save the edited item_kinds1.txt

8. start m&b and play mod whatever you called it

COMMON ERRORS:

redundent texture, material, or mesh warning - usually 'error trying to re-register (whatever) just open up the brf file and delete the offending mesh, texture, or material. it happens. in the first release of maw's Armor Pack there are two costume3_maw textures - so this will be good practice. make sure there is at one and only one costumes3_maw file in each texture and material. i also have a costumes2 in there that supercedes the game defalut costumes2.dds - delete that outta the mod_armors textures and materials, too.

missing mesh, texture, or material - like 'mesh whatever not found' or 'unable to find material whatever'. if its a mesh, the mesh name was usually not copied properly from the brf file to the item_kinds1.txt file - double check it, and make sure the brf mesh name and line item mesh name exist and match exactly, no spaces or whatever. if a material or texture is missing, it has to be added or the item will show up white in game.

after this, you can experiment with editing the values - which don't even ask me about. i think the unoffical Troop and Item editor works for 1.003 - but ask somewhere else. my fingers are tired.

that pretty much does it. play with it. if you screw it up, go back to the last workable saved (you did save a copy of item_kinds1.txt, didn't you?) and don't worry about screwing it up.

you can always re-install. maw

Please help me with this!

1.I downloaded all 3 of your packs but for now i just wanted to use armor and shields this is what happened...first i had the error trying to re-register solved it...

2.Then i had unrecognized resource types textures solved it somehow...

3.Then i had the crown.dds problem, solved that too...

4.Then it was Textures\somth,solved that also...

Then at the end it really pissed me off with the shields, i really wanted JUST 1 so i deleted all the rest leaving just pack for tears2, and then i ran the game guess what SHADER ERROR FOR TEARS2 IT OPENS NORMALLY IN BRF EDIT!

I just wanted some plate armor skins and some shields...what am i doing wrong? The module ini is fine...the meshes well maybe thats where im wrong ill try to explain on example...

Say i want some plate armor skins...i go to resource open armor in BRFedit find the name in this case it will be... plate_ssm_10043 now i go to item kinds and use Mail with surcoat as my model...

The original looks like this...

itm_mail_with_surcoat Mail_with_Surcoat Mail_with_Surcoat 1  mail_long_surcoat 0  16842765 0 1544 704643236 22.000000 100 0 42 14 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Should mine look like this,or im doing something wrong?

itm_Elite_Mail_01 Mail_with_Surcoat Mail_with_Surcoat 1  plate_ssm_10043 0  16842765 0 1544 704643236 22.000000 100 0 42 14 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

(i call it Elite_Mail_01 since you seid there is no problem in changing the name!)

Please someone well expirienced, help! I wasted 3 hours fixing errors and when i managed to enter the game i went to npc to buy it and soon as i pressed "Trade with armor merchant" THE GAME CRASHED!

I got a problem... I want to add a mosin nagant rifle from WW2 in China into the Eagle and The Radiant Cross mod, replacing the Caliver rifle... I followed your instruction ( they are great ) but i still cant figure the problem out...

I tried many ways... First time i just exported the mosin nagant mesh with brf edit into the eagle radiant brf, replacing the caliver mesh, and then i copied and added textures too...but it didnt worked out, i wasnt unable to just replace the mesh...

Secondly i started all over... I just exported the mosin nagant on the desktop and i just pasted it into the corresponding Resources folder... In the textures folder i added the correct textures, i added a line in the Module INI file... Then i opened item editor and the rifle was there... so i just added a new item (but i didnt replace the first rifle)... Then i started the game and when i entered the merchant shop i recieved a RLG error... so...can you just give me a hint if i followed the procedure right? Maybe i made a mistake, because i just copied the mosin nagant item line from item_kinds in WW2 mod and pasted it into the Eagle mod item_kinds... is there a problem?... Because all i wanted to do is to modify some units in the game ( Imperial Guard, Jannisary and some others) to have a little bit modern rifle, and to replace the triggers and to add some new stuff ( bullet trails, sound, muzzle flash and smoke) from the WW2 into eagle radiant...

Thank you for your advices, and thank the authors of the mods...

you'll have to post what kind of errors your getting in order for others to figuere out what the problem is. maw

So, if I want to add the lamelar armour and it's beter versions and the spiked helmet and it's thick etc... versions, to sword of Damocles, I save eagle_radiant.brf to the resources folder of sword of damocles? then I go to Module.ini and add: "load_mod_resource = eagle_radiant"?

I did that, but I don't understand what exactly I'm suposed to do itemskind1.txt

also, don't I have to copy some texture files to sword of damocles? And won't there be a problem if 1 overwrites the other?

sorry, i'm not smart or confident enough to try without asking the stupid quetions first

Back
Top Bottom