Inside helmet view (idea/project)

Users who are viewing this thread

Aeon

Squire
Why every player rush to the greater armor helmet ?
Obiviously price is not an obstacle, and multiply its price isn't a fair solution (unlikeable to purpose a helmet 30x expensive than a simplier one)
Weight even isn't an obstacle (especially if you ride a mount), and increasing furthermore weight would turn irrealistic.

Historically, "full helmet" (with ventail) was a problem for knights, restraining their breath and sight.
That's why helmet had movable visor.

Visor.jpg

And if unmovable, then knights may also wear a tiny "cerveliere" helmet, if they wish to have better overview of melee and surroundings, or more comfortable light protection.

cerveliere.jpg

Since game cannot manage movable visor, nor switch helmet, nor fatigue. Well, we could only affect sight.
The idea is to overlay an alpha texture, improving so-called realism aswell balancing full vs light helmet.

Helmet - simple
p_simple.jpg
mini_simple.png

simple.jpg

Helmet - nasal
p_nasal.jpg
mini_nasal.png

nasal.jpg

Helmet - viking
p_viking.jpg
mini_viking.png

viking.jpg

Helmet - mail face
p_sarr.jpg
mini_mail.png

mamluke.jpg

Helmet - mask face
p_facial.jpg
mini_facial.png

facial.jpg

Helmet - heaume
p_heaume.jpg
mini_heaum.png

heaume.jpg

A- I have no plan to release a stand alone mod, just to provide material to others mods. Is there mod team would be interested by this kind of feature ?
B- Is it possible to code display on/off according to the "scene" (no need for map view, inventory, etc... just battle scene) ?
C- Is it possible to code various texture display, type according to kind of helmet player is wearing ?
D- Is their any coder/scripter motivated to work on B and C:razz:

This idea has been suggested many times before, but I think you did a great job with the pictures. Only the last one should be more square, and it should probably be a bt more metalish textures.

I like the idea, and I'm sure it's possible because the Rus13 mod has this, but I think you are over-restricting it a bit. You took too much sight away. :razz:

Helmets don't have that effect.  The helmet I own, which you see in my avatar, is custom made to my face dimensions.  It doesn't restrict view the way people assume.  It's biggest hinderance is, as you mentioned, breathing.

Also (and I can imagine this being a bit of a pain while on horseback) it makes looking up or down awkward.  This is for two reasons:  The shape of the helmet (long chin protector) makes it hard to physically look down (without digging it into your upper chest); the other is that the eye slits prevent one from simply using their eyes alone to look down (which one can do easily do left and right in the helmet).  However, since one's eyes are so close to the slits themselves, they are no where near as restrictive in view as mods like this make them out to be....its like bringing one's eye closely up to a peephole.

Oh, and the black interior for the great helm is fine, they rarely (if ever) had polished interiors as it would reflect any light (which, though unlikely, could possibly impare vision) and more specifically, it helped prevent corrosion when it was coated or burnished.

Skot the Sanguine said:
Helmets don't have that effect.  The helmet I own, which you see in my avatar, is custom made to my face dimensions.  It doesn't restrict view the way people assume.  It's biggest hinderance is, as you mentioned, breathing.

Also (and I can imagine this being a bit of a pain while on horseback) it makes looking up or down awkward.  This is for two reasons:  The shape of the helmet (long chin protector) makes it hard to physically look down (without digging it into your upper chest); the other is that the eye slits prevent one from simply using their eyes alone to look down (which one can do easily do left and right in the helmet).  However, since one's eyes are so close to the slits themselves, they are no where near as restrictive in view as mods like this make them out to be....its like bringing one's eye closely up to a peephole.
So, it'd be more like normal field of view, but less high?

Especially the goggly helm strikes me as odd (the Huscarl's helm). The eyeguards are below the eyes but they're in full sight but vague in your first person pic. That and you can peer out from below the eyeguards. It's a bit odd, but nice work nonetheless.

You got it Frisian, and what you said of the glasses is exactly the same.  Someone who wears glasses sees it almost as a single piece even though it isn't.  I guess a good way to describe it would be to have a thinner (height wise) set of glasses when being heavily visually impaired.

Also, I edited my first post adding a comment on having the inside with a metallic texture.

Edit:  There is 1 difference though.  Since glasses sit midway on one's nose they don't have this effect, but as the eye holes for a helmet are past the tip of the nose...if one looks left or right purely with their eyes, the eye furthest from the direction (I.E. the left eye when looking right) sees the inside of the helmet at the admittedly narrow nose guard.

Back
Top Bottom