Information about developments at snowballing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

One thing to point out about having a bunch of troop giving notables inside castles is that it makes raiding villages less valuable, and makes it harder to hurt the enemy's troop production, since it'll increase the pool of "safe" recruits factions have available. I think it's nice how important villages are for a faction's recruiting capacity right now, but maybe that's just me.

Actually wait wouldn't this encourage lords to stop by castles more often and perhaps replenish garrisons more often (not quite sure how that functions right now)?
The AI is actually pretty efficient at managing their garrisons. Castles' clan members will stop by to deposit troops (or withdraw them if they are in need) fairly regularly based on a calculated "ideal" garrison size. Any member of the kingdom can also stop by and donate troops if the garrison is too low (doesn't apply for the players fiefs).

On top of that, clan leaders will visit all of their settlements (towns, castles, and villages) based on how long it's been since they last visited them. In certain circumstances though, it can take them a year or two (sometimes more) for them to visit some of their castles and villages if they are too remote. They will still always eventually visit them though, because the "score" for them to visit the settlement will continuously increase as time passes until it becomes higher than the scores for any other action they can make.

The campaign AI functions as a uility-based system btw, in case anyone is interested. Every action the AI can take at any one time is assigned a "utility score" based on various factors, and the AI will carry out the action with the highest utility. They evaluate dozens or hundreds of potential actions at regular intervals (such as Raid X village, Visit Y town, or Patrol Z castle, etc).

One thing to point out about having a bunch of troop giving notables inside castles is that it makes raiding villages less valuable, and makes it harder to hurt the enemy's troop production, since it'll increase the pool of "safe" recruits factions have available. I think it's nice how important villages are for a faction's recruiting capacity right now, but maybe that's just me.

The AI is actually pretty efficient at managing their garrisons. Castles' clan members will stop by to deposit troops (or withdraw them if they are in need) fairly regularly based on a calculated "ideal" garrison size. Any member of the kingdom can also stop by and donate troops if the garrison is too low (doesn't apply for the players fiefs).

On top of that, clan leaders will visit all of their settlements (towns, castles, and villages) based on how long it's been since they last visited them. In certain circumstances though, it can take them a year or two (sometimes more) for them to visit some of their castles and villages if they are too remote. They will still always eventually visit them though, because the "score" for them to visit the settlement will continuously increase as time passes until it becomes higher than the scores for any other action they can make.

The campaign AI functions as a uility-based system btw, in case anyone is interested. Every action the AI can take at any one time is assigned a "utility score" based on various factors, and the AI will carry out the action with the highest utility. They evaluate dozens or hundreds of potential actions at regular intervals (such as Raid X village, Visit Y town, or Patrol Z castle, etc).

nice. Thanks for educating us. I didn't know the campaign ai function system. Makes sense.

That makes a lot of sense actually. I think may a "spread" should be done where there are at least 2 guaranteed at the castle, and another 2 per village (starting at just the headman, but can expand at a certain Hearth-level or relationship with others in the village. That way there is still a balance but I don't want *all* recruitment brought to a grinding halt because the villages get raided.

Another way to get around this is that if the bound villages are Devastated or fall below a specific Hearth level then recruitment at the Castle also takes a crap, this would still prioritize for the Player (since apparently the AI is really good at it) to protect the villages, do quests, maintain a good Perk'ed-out Governor, and protect their territory (via Garrison and hunting bandit parties).

Loads of good ideas in this thread for this. Thanks for the QRD on the campaign AI priorities of work!

I think if you do implement the noble notable at a castle it should just be a single notable, otherwise I think we'd start seeing too many noble heavy parties/armies if they are recruiting 6+ noble units at a time. Otherwise a noble vs common ratio would need to be enabled.

Thanks for taking the time to deep dive and explain @Bannerman Man , much appreciated.

I'm now kind of in the middle about implementing notables at castles. Now i'm curious to know if it would help stronger factions or weaker factions more. My first thought is it is likely more beneficial to weaker factions who are actually the ones being raided, but then again it makes it that much harder to impact a stronger kingdom when the weaker faction does raid. If it doesn't actually help weaker factions build up their strength faster and only helps to make the stronger factions even stronger then we should not implement it.

Might be worth testing out. Also making the changes at the castle village level is essentially the same but the only problem is the average player will not realize this.

At some point @mexxico you (or whoever is actually in charge of this) may need to spend some time creating some entries for the encyclopedia to describe many of these things that are under the hood and not so easily noticeable to the average player. Of course this is one of the last things that yall should do before release but it is sorely needed, like many of the current concepts not in the encyclopedia.

Last edited:
At some point @mexxico you (or whoever is actually in charge of this) may need to spend some time creating some entries for the encyclopedia to describe many of these things that are under the hood and not so easily noticeable to the average player. Of course this is one of the last things that yall should do before release but it is sorely needed, like many of the current concepts not in the encyclopedia.

+1

Fully agree with @Blood Gryphon on adding a lot of the intricacies of campaign AI, economy, etc. into the encyclopedia. Us non-C# fluent folks would appreciate it for sure.

@mexxico I think with all the feedback over the last few pages of this thread it may be worth starting some testing with the various notable expansion into vending noble troops. As others have said, a balance needs to be struck between defending (and attacking) castles / castle-bound villages, ensuring there are *too* many Noble Cav parties/Armies running around, and seeing if it makes a meaningful difference if non at all.

I think open pitched battles may see a swing, but since cav was debuffed (rightly so) for siege auto-calc it probably won't make of an impact for sieges at all IMHO.

While are are exploring this it would be good to probably add a few more villages again, I know the last pass had 29 additions, but some areas of the map still feel very sparse for particularly N. Empire, Vlandia and Battania. Another thing to consider is adding Minor Faction recruits into the pool of possible recruits - that could be a good way to balance out armies and instead of giving 100% Noble troops, the castle-bound villages (or castles) have a mix between top tier Minor Factions (i.e Puppeteers, Triarii) and Nobles.

Shouldn't the focus be diplomacy now that snowballing is fixed instead of notables? I'd be nice to get trade agreements, alliances, non-agression pacts and maybe some other treaties. Or is diplomacy not mexxico's responsibility?

Shouldn't the focus be diplomacy now that snowballing is fixed instead of notables? I'd be nice to get trade agreements, alliances, non-agression pacts and maybe some other treaties. Or is diplomacy not mexxico's responsibility?
I am not responsible from diplomacy elements of game. I just wanted to help war / peace calculations since 1.4s because it had problems and get involved in these stuff then also tried to make world more balanced (snowballing problem).

I already have these responsible areas such as economy (villager, caravan), determining prices and transfer of trade items, campaign ai (army ai, party ai), determining / balancing formulas for settlement variables such as hearth, militia, prosperity, food... Item production / consumption mechanics, npc's horse / food buying systems, upgrading troop mechanics, determining loots after battles, recruitment systems for parties, npc clan's finance managements, npc clan's garrison management, raid / siege process at campaign map, bandit & infested hideout distribution, defections / changing faction of mercenary / noble clans, desertions from parties... In summary I am responsible from sandbox world generally but it does not include diplomacy.

Now currently adding wage limit slider & ai behavior selection dropbox for each clan party (including garrison parties), unfortunately it will be ready at 1.5.10 not 1.5.9 because final design decided and UI was ready after 1.5.9 tests started. So I could start this feature new.

Thats why I focused on how we can improve recruitment in last week. It can effect gameplay positively and its my area.

So if there will be diplomacy developments you need to wait it from first approved from top and then implemented by other devs.

Last edited:
I think that deeper diplomacy is not in TW plans as far I know, but I do agree with this will be great. More evolved diplomacy is what most would improve the game IMO, much more than other features.

Hopefully in a future DLC or expansion, I would gladly pay for it, especially if Mexxico develops it :wink:.

I think that deeper diplomacy is not in TW plans as far I know, but I do agree with this will be great. More evolved diplomacy is what most would improve the game IMO, much more than other features.

Hopefully in a future DLC or expansion, I would gladly pay for it, especially if Mexxico develops it :wink:.

Unfortunately these are my last 3-4 months here. I will not be here during DLC / expansion steps (i have no info about if there are plans for these) I do not know how many months game will stay more at EA by the way. I decided this about half year ago. I was hoping EA to finish until end of my time here. But it is obvious EA will continue more. I will try to do as much as possible in remaining time at my responsible areas to give you better gameplay experience.

Note : If you have any question about this you can pm lets continue discussing game here. Just wanted to give you this info before that day come. But no need to discuss it here.

Last edited:
Unfortunately these are my last 3-4 months here. I will not be here during DLC or expansion steps (i have no info about if there are plans for these) I do not know how many months game will stay at EA by the way. I decided this about 1 year ago. I was hoping EA to finish until this time (1 year ago). But it is obvious EA will continue more. I will try to do as much as possible in remaining time at my responsible areas.
You've done better than any of us could have hoped for regardless of the next few months. Truly thank you for your hard work and passion, it is a light in these dark times. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your next steps after TW, once you've decided them.

Back to on topic: It might have been because I was playing an old save, but I'm pretty sure I noticed an army being formed right after a previous army has disbanded after winning a fight but being a majority of wounded troops, so essentially this new army formed with a bunch of wounded troops and got it self killed on the way to defend a castle. I know in the army screen the number of troops is the entire party including wounded troops, perhaps this number should reflect healthy troops so that parties aren't summoned before they are healed back up.

You've done better than any of us could have hoped for regardless of the next few months. Truly thank you for your hard work and passion, it is a light in these dark times. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your next steps after TW, once you've decided them.
What we did here we did all together and we will do more at remaining time. Especially your, dabos37’s, bannerman man’s, nawki’s, terco_viejo’s efforts were huge and I used your valueable feedbacks. Every game company needs players like you. I will give some break after TW but if I decide to do something in future I will find you:smile:

Like, if you just want feasts, whatever. You do you. You don't need to legitimize the idea by presenting it as an anti-snowballing measure, especially when that issue is already resolved and you haven't even tested the solution once.
Good to see the "the REAL problem is my pet issue" attitude extends far beyond politics lol

Utility based AIs are the best. Economics strikes again!

I really like the idea of having at least one notable inside castles giving noble recruits, as others said already it would increase the value of holding castles that currently serve no purpose being just worse cities (in every aspect)

Yeah having them in villages attached to castles would have a similar feel but i think it would be best to have at least one notable inside the castles giving noble recruits as a safe haven for recruitment just like cities are for normal recruits (or maybe one notable in the castle for each bound village? would be cool and make some castles better than others)

Also it's sad to hear Mexxico is leaving TW soon, your work and dedication in this game is amazing and i wish you happiness and success in your life out there, also hope TW will find someone just as awesome to be a worthy sucessor of your job, cheers! :grin:

What we did here we did all together and we will do more at remaining time. Especially your, dabos37’s, bannerman man’s, nawki’s, terco_viejo’s efforts were huge and I used your valueable feedbacks. Every game company needs players like you. I will give some break after TW but if I decide to do something in future I will find you:smile:
Very sad to hear that you will be departing TW Mex, I am sure that decision was not taken lightly. If you ever wanted to get into cybersecurity, I will likely be hiring more folks if I still am the lead of my function after my company's merger, shoot me your LinkedIn if you have one in a DM. You are a consummate professional and your passion for this game and the community really shine through. Anyone would be lucky to have you as a part of their staff.

Anyway, looking forward to 1.5.9 and 1.5.10 changes - hopefully we can squeeze in more Party/Clan/Kingdom-based directives and solve for this recruitment problem. Even if increased nobles (and increased recruitment in general) does not do much to combat snowballing, I think it will be a lot more fun in late game hunting down parties that can put up a fight instead of chasing parties of 50 out of their last fiefs.

Any idea when AI Lord death will be included in auto-calc? I think Duh_ mentioned it was something that was being looked at but may not be included due to the high attrition relative to how many kids are birthed. Though it cannot really be much worse than all of the female lords in my playthroughs who die in childbirth.

Anyway, looking forward to 1.5.9 and 1.5.10 changes - hopefully we can squeeze in more Party/Clan/Kingdom-based directives and solve for this recruitment problem. Even if increased nobles (and increased recruitment in general) does not do much to combat snowballing, I think it will be a lot more fun in late game hunting down parties that can put up a fight instead of chasing parties of 50 out of their last fiefs.
I agree, honestly I just want more noble troops in the game to experience fighting with and against them, they are some of the coolest troops and I'd like to get to see/use them more.

Any idea when AI Lord death will be included in auto-calc? I think Duh_ mentioned it was something that was being looked at but may not be included due to the high attrition relative to how many kids are birthed. Though it cannot really be much worse than all of the female lords in my playthroughs who die in childbirth.
The underlined part is actually a mix of my comment to him about the subject, all Duh said was that they are still discussing it but doesn't see it as an urgent issue because having death be a high percent around the player serves to expose bugs easier.

I would love to see you making your own sandbox game in the future, even if the graphics will be simpler (maybe low poly?). If you ever decide that, I'll buy it instantly.

Back
Top Bottom