Information about developments at snowballing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

[
To me it is not about weak or strong factions made on purpose. What I am seeing is that the map design is what actually making some factions too strong and some other weak. Just compare the Khuzait map with NE map:

Khuzait:

NE:

It is pretty clear why Khuzaits are able to recruit armies much faster than other factions. Just look how close fiefs are to each other and how easy to access and at the same time protected their fiefs are. Now check NE map, the best area for recruiting troops is Amprela, Syratos castle and Episona Castle, but these villages get constantly raided for Khuzaits pretty early and NE lose all its recruiting power pretty fast.

Plus the Khuzaits army composition is simply better, even removing cavalry bonus in simulated battles and Khuzaits cultural bonus, Khuzait lords are simply much faster and Khuzait map is pretty easy to defend and reirforcements can arrive pretty fast. Raiding the Khuzaits villages is almost an impossible task for NE lords because Khuzaits parties are just much faster and able to protect their villages pretty effectively.

So yes, some factions feel much stronger but I think that it was not a deliberated devs decision, but they understimated the potential of a good map position. Battania also has a great map and fiefs are pretty pretty close but I just have to change some few things to see Battania getting wrecked because they are pretty much surrounded by everyone, while Khuzaits are placed in a corner, have pretty close fiefs to each other, and have speed advantage... No much to do to fix this without making drastic changes IMO.
The Khuzaits, in the game, are a constant danger. I already played with the Southern Empire. I managed not only to contain the Khuzaits, but also to destroy them (with a good alliance of course). At first we were friend-friend Khuzaits, until the time when the Southern Empire was superior and I was able to provoke a destructive war against them. At the end the whole card was blue (South Empire) ... For me, it's up to the players to find solutions to contain the Khuzaits, that's part of the game. Not up to the developers to change everything ...

I have done many different parts. Sometimes I came to a totally pacified map, no more wars, it was pretty amazing, I thought it was impossible. I then created my own Kingdom, I only had two castles, I was safe, so suddenly everything was "cool". I let time go by to see if the war resumed, no ... I stopped this part, happy to have found this incredible balance.

Are these screen shots taken from same height/altitude? I am asking since it can affect visual density of settlements. Interesting to see by the way. This can definetely have some role on snowballing.

What I think is in addition to all the things we've listed that give khuzait advantages, there also a building incremental advantage they have building over time compared to other factions. Every time the trade units an have to re-build, being just a little faster and getting more mounted unit, it builds up. Likewise every raid they pull off sets back a faction from getting special units (right?) while theirs are safe and snug! Even after peace they're so far ahead in developing/repairing forces that the enemy won't ever catch up.

Are these screen shots taken from same height/altitude?

Yes.

What I think is in addition to all the things we've listed that give khuzait advantages, there also a building incremental advantage they have building over time compared to other factions. Every time the trade units an have to re-build, being just a little faster and getting more mounted unit, it builds up. Likewise every raid they pull off sets back a faction from getting special units (right?) while theirs are safe and snug! Even after peace they're so far ahead in developing/repairing forces that the enemy won't ever catch up.

Yep, I have seen how NE and Khuzaits started a war, NE initial strength 5200, Khuzait initial strength 2700 (they were fighting a hard war against SE before). After some days, the balance power was 3000 vs 3000 strength, and Khuzaits were able to take a fiefs from NE before making peace. NE armies were attacking deep Khuzaits castles and getting killed most of the times, while Khuzaits were able to re-take these fiefs pretty fast.

Last edited:
Change the template of empire/sturgia to get 40% horses problem solved.Thats what happened to Battania and dominate in the west even if they get horses at T4.

For me the real question is why did the developers plan for such a weak "Sturgian" faction. They don't resist anyone. The Aserai are playable, and manage to deal damage to everyone. The Sturgians ... it's a disaster. Is there a player who managed to dominate the map with the Sturgans? If possible, I would like to know the right recipe.
Don't fight on both ends Khuzait-Battania. Fight only one side (best Battania). As many fiefs the Khuzaits take from you, so many fiefs take from Battania and Vlandia (or more for expansion). However the lands after Balgard are nicely defendable due to map location.
You will and up ownig the complete Vlandia and Batannia territory and the original Sturgia land of Omor-Varcheg and the Empire slowly disappears.
Actually pritty much all scenarios end up like this if you are not playing Khuzaits ofcourse.

Change the template of empire/sturgia to get 40% horses problem solved.Thats what happened to Battania and dominate in the west even if they get horses at T4.

Yes, but this would turn Sturgia and specially the Empire into Khuzaits. I mean, having tons of skirmish cavalry units because these factions only can get melee cavalry from noble troops.

Ik but thats how it works and thats how devs made troop trees without testing anything otherwise we wouldnt have this huge mess.You just cant win with only infantry armies against horseheavy armies (not talking about player party fights ofc).

For me, it's up to the players to find solutions to contain the Khuzaits, that's part of the game. Not up to the developers to change everything ...
So every single playthrough just ends in trying to defeat the Khuzaits because the Ai can't do it? Where's the logic or fun in that.

So every single playthrough just ends in trying to defeat the Khuzaits because the Ai can't do it? Where's the logic or fun in that.
[/QUOTE

I don't know where is the logic and fun in that. The logic and fun with this game would be to have a good background and a nice story in the game, an adventure in the game, but apparently, players prefer a total sandbox game. So they have what they ask : a game without soul, a game skeleton. It's the players' fault, the majority want that.

I don't know where is the logic and fun in that. The logic and fun with this game would be to have a good background and a nice story in the game, an adventure in the game, but apparently, players prefer a total sandbox game. So they have what they ask : a game without soul, a game skeleton. It's the players' fault, the majority want that.
What on earth are you talking about? The late game being fighting the Khuzaits every playthrough is not a good background or story, it's boring and repetitive.

We want every save game to have a different story and outcome, which is the entire point of a sandbox game.

Defeat the Khuzait, i did, it's possible...
You're not the AI?

What on earth are you talking about? The late game being fighting the Khuzaits every playthrough is not a good background or story, it's boring and repetitive.

We want every save game to have a different story and outcome, which is the entire point of a sandbox game.

You're not the AI?
Why are you getting angry, I'm saying the same thing as you, there is no background and no story. I have never seen a game with such a poor background when there is such great potential ...

Why are you getting angry, I'm saying the same thing as you, there is no background and no story. I have never seen a game with such a poor background when there is such great potential ...
You're not saying the same thing as me at all man, what you're saying sounds like the death of this game.

I personally do not have huge problems with Khuzaits being strong in every campaign, my problem is about how fast they are able to dominate everything. Khuzaits being able to take 3 fiefs from NE in the first year and wiping the floor with everyone with easy in no time, is for sure not enjoyable at all in every campaign. Same for any other faction, it is not enjoyable to see one faction wrecking other ones in few days.

You're not saying the same thing as me at all man, what you're saying sounds like the death of this game.
We have played this game with my friends 1300 hours (several of us play with several characters), we like some aspect of the game, but we find it very messy. If we don't defend this game, then no one is defending it. Except we don't understand where this game is going.

I would add: what can kill a game is "Early Access". EA = hell for developers. It's known. EA = stupid rumors and opinions.

Back
Top Bottom