Inflation/deflation in Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Havada

Recruit
Lately I had this thought: is amount of the gold constant? So I played as a merchant to check it by trading a lot and observing the market prices all around the Calrandia while adding a lot of (I guess) surplus gold from bandits' loot. Of course I wasn't the only one to hunt bandits - almost every lord was hunting them, adding the (I guess) surplus gold to the market. I've noticed that the prices are rising all around the world after few years. It's simple:
> starting total gold in the whole continent is equal to, let's say, 30 000 000 = 30M
> bandits just spawn, right? They don't cost gold from this 30M pool to be created. And when you kill a group of bandits, you get not only loot that you can sell (which doesn't ADD gold to the total gold pool, only materials, which is fine) but also you get some gold directly (around 300 per group) which is causing inflation
> there are also mechanisms that are removing gold from the market (for example donating gold to your settlement to increase speed of the projects, paying your party wages or upgrading your troops - the gold just disappears) which might theoretically cause deflation (and practically it just slows down the inflation)

I'm not sure if the mechanisms to remove the surplus gold are working effectively enough to stop the inflation. Also inflation isn't a bad thing if it affects everything in the game equally, just like (kind of) in the real world. My questions are:
1. are the mechanisms that remove gold from the market effective enough to stop the inflation? Is it balanced in a way "the higher inflation, the stronger these removing mechanisms are"?
2. let's say that inflation is okay. Will it affect everything? Troops' prices and wages, town projects' speed up cost, workshops' cost, caravans' cost etc.? At the moment it does not so after playing for a long time we could get to a point where the gold is worth 3x less but we're still paying the same to our troops so, effectively, troops' wages are 3x lower than they were on the beginning of the game
3. what is love?

Sounds like you just got your first lesson in economy but have trouble understanding and applying that knowledge.
Think back about the first thing you have learned, the economical principle. But this time don't just repeat - think about it.
Now think about whether that can apply to a game and what differentiates it from reality.

Follow that track and you can answer all your questions yourself.

Lately I had this thought: is amount of the gold constant? So I played as a merchant to check it by trading a lot and observing the market prices all around the Calrandia while adding a lot of (I guess) surplus gold from bandits' loot. Of course I wasn't the only one to hunt bandits - almost every lord was hunting them, adding the (I guess) surplus gold to the market. I've noticed that the prices are rising all around the world after few years. It's simple:
> starting total gold in the whole continent is equal to, let's say, 30 000 000 = 30M
> bandits just spawn, right? They don't cost gold from this 30M pool to be created. And when you kill a group of bandits, you get not only loot that you can sell (which doesn't ADD gold to the total gold pool, only materials, which is fine) but also you get some gold directly (around 300 per group) which is causing inflation
> there are also mechanisms that are removing gold from the market (for example donating gold to your settlement to increase speed of the projects, paying your party wages or upgrading your troops - the gold just disappears) which might theoretically cause deflation (and practically it just slows down the inflation)

I'm not sure if the mechanisms to remove the surplus gold are working effectively enough to stop the inflation. Also inflation isn't a bad thing if it affects everything in the game equally, just like (kind of) in the real world. My questions are:
1. are the mechanisms that remove gold from the market effective enough to stop the inflation? Is it balanced in a way "the higher inflation, the stronger these removing mechanisms are"?
2. let's say that inflation is okay. Will it affect everything? Troops' prices and wages, town projects' speed up cost, workshops' cost, caravans' cost etc.? At the moment it does not so after playing for a long time we could get to a point where the gold is worth 3x less but we're still paying the same to our troops so, effectively, troops' wages are 3x lower than they were on the beginning of the game
3. what is love?

The problem here is that there's no limit for gold while resources are limited and produced over time. This causes huge inflation late game as cities after wars ten to lack a lot of goods, raided villages stop producing anything and the price go way up.

There seems to be no currency balancing mechanic. The gold You give to your troops should go to the first city You visit simulating them spending it (maybe at the cost of some resources taken). The gold from bandits should be taken from whoever they attack and rob.

This is quite big mechanic to build and manage through game engine and very easy to brake by player collecting gold and spending only little part of it leading to player keeping all the gold available in the world.

Sounds like you just got your first lesson in economy but have trouble understanding and applying that knowledge.
Think back about the first thing you have learned, the economical principle. But this time don't just repeat - think about it.
Now think about whether that can apply to a game and what differentiates it from reality.

Follow that track and you can answer all your questions yourself.

Please don't comment if you have nothing valuable to say.

(...)
This is quite big mechanic to build and manage through game engine and very easy to brake by player collecting gold and spending only little part of it leading to player keeping all the gold available in the world.

That's true. Probably creating gold is inevitable so the cost of troops, wages etc. should raise with the years passing to match the actual value of gold.

Last edited:
I’m unsure whether the real point in this thread is clear enough

I can see only one thing with value in this.
As the time passes in Bannerlord the whole economy is starting to break. Cities starving, prices going high and hard time to find resources.
Maybe some mechanic can be added to balance it cause infinite gold causes it while resources are not infinite.

I can see only one thing with value in this.
As the time passes in Bannerlord the whole economy is starting to break. Cities starving, prices going high and hard time to find resources.
Maybe some mechanic can be added to balance it cause infinite gold causes it while resources are not infinite.
Resources levels should just be lowered as at the rate they are harvested warband would be a wasteland due to no resources left, the abundance of resources is what ruins economy

Resources levels should just be lowered as at the rate they are harvested warband would be a wasteland due to no resources left, the abundance of resources is what ruins economy

Yep but if You lower the resources amount on the market You will still end up with piles of useless denars.

Back
Top Bottom