Infinite Armies

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly I don't see the Army mechanic being a problem. Assuming AI don't have a bonus to influence, I haven't noticed an imbalance in that mechanic.

The problem is that individual lords keep escaping, respawning and coming back at full-steam within a matter of minutes of game time. Makes defeating massive armies a rather trivial accomplishment. Feels grindy.
Army are too cheap to form and AI gets influence easily... So it's kinda imbalanced currently.
I guess you already know about this thread
Since 1.5.10 prisoners escape less (can be 0 chance if you have the correct perks) so this aspect of the game is improving.
Personnaly I don't mind about lord respawn (it is core mechanic) but more about them charging back with an army of recruits...

Army are too cheap to form and AI gets influence easily... So it's kinda imbalanced currently.
I guess you already know about this thread
Since 1.5.10 prisoners escape less (can be 0 chance if you have the correct perks) so this aspect of the game is improving.
Personnaly I don't mind about lord respawn (it is core mechanic) but more about them charging back with an army of recruits...
I was NOT aware! Thanks for the link!!!

Yeah I'm with you. I used mods (don't remember if it's Tweaks or Diplomacy) to increase the minimum time held and that worked fine for me. The more annoying thing in my modded plays were prisoners who would auto-ransom - is that still a thing?

I do not see ANY point in ever ransoming leaders in a criminal always-hostile minor faction like the Hand or Embers. It was a real kick to immersion when they kept getting to buy their way out of jail - which is where they belong.

I was NOT aware! Thanks for the link!!!

Yeah I'm with you. I used mods (don't remember if it's Tweaks or Diplomacy) to increase the minimum time held and that worked fine for me. The more annoying thing in my modded plays were prisoners who would auto-ransom - is that still a thing?

I do not see ANY point in ever ransoming leaders in a criminal always-hostile minor faction like the Hand or Embers. It was a real kick to immersion when they kept getting to buy their way out of jail - which is where they belong.
Yep no more auto-ransom.
And apparently with relevant perks you can keep lords prisoners for as long as you want.
We even receive ransom notification for our captured companions.

Minor factions lore is there but not really used in any way. Just aesthetic purpose for the moment...

Honestly I don't see the Army mechanic being a problem. Assuming AI don't have a bonus to influence, I haven't noticed an imbalance in that mechanic.

The problem is that individual lords keep escaping, respawning and coming back at full-steam within a matter of minutes of game time. Makes defeating massive armies a rather trivial accomplishment. Feels grindy.
THIS is the problem. Victories are meaningless if the AI can simply come back minutes later with another army that's got a fair number of high-level troops in it (without severely depleting the garrison of one of his fiefs or depopulating his own villages by forcible recruitment), while you spend the next couple of game hours trying to replace comparatively minor losses and train the new recruits up to some reasonable standard.

I agree with both of your sentiments on AI respawning, but this thread is about the ease in which Armies are built and maintained.

AI don't have an bonus to influence or maintaining cohesion, but they also have nothing else to spend influence on so they will accumulate thousands of influence by mid-game.

Armies are cheap to build (around 150-200 influence for a 15+ member army) and cohesion can be easy maintain by the daily influence gained from being in an army. A 900+ troop army can be easily built by an AI and maintained for several weeks.

This creates the scenario where the AI can always maintain large armies, overwhelm nearly all settlements defenses through sheer numbers, and can easily recover from huge losses.

Back
Top Bottom