SP - Battles & Sieges Infantry vs Cav (Cav probably overpowered, see vid)

Users who are viewing this thread

Deep ranks of superior numbers of Infantry are unable to halt the charge of inferior numbers of Calvary. Noone dies after impact.

Is this by design? MNB:WB seems to do a better job with the Infantry and Cav interactions. Inf can hold the line in MNB:WB.

Update: I tested drag and drop and made my archers into a manual square. They somehow beat the heavy cav even though overwhelmed. If I put them in square formation, the heavy cav win.

Square formation is worse than drag and drop square. Melee archers in deep ranks beat cav but infantry don't. This system does not make any sense.

Last edited:
I tested even with my mounted units ordered to dismount and fight versus infantry 400 vs 400. Riders on foot won by huge margin against dedicated infantry units. I think that mounted units needs to take 2 unit capacity in party (1 for a rider and 1 for a his warhorse).
Also in my yesterday SP campaign I got massive army 400 vs 800 units battle. My 400 army composition was mostly infantry with 60 cav units, sturgian raiders. Enemy vlandian army had 100 cavalry units. Fight was going well, I tried to counter move enemy cav with mine, and AI didn't engaged his cavalry at all before I completely destroyed his infantry. My infantry fight was decisive victory, enemy footmen and reinforsements were or killed or running away, I lost about 30 soldiers. After that I decided to regroup my forces and prepared them into strong defensive formation for cavalry charge. Enemy cavalry were distracted very well by my sturgian raiders for entire infantry fight. But my raiders also were out of javelins to that moment. I moved my cavalry to opposite flank and attracted enemy cavalry to strike just in time and in place to my formation of t4-t5 troops just where and when I planned and immediately closed trap with my out of ammo cavalry behind the enemy. I thought that it will be easy massacre for them, including my epic jumping 2h oneshot swings (I'm playing infantry general, so staying with my men). It was perfectly planned and realised and I was sure that it will be one of the best battles obviously. I was terrible wrong.. Enemy ~90 left knights just cut us like a knife and butter and fight was transformed into bloody mess and was out of control. I lost about 200 well prepared soldiers. I won, but it was a pyrric victory against my all expectations. I was fallen too during this fight.

Last edited:
I tested even with my mounted units ordered to dismount and fight versus infantry 400 vs 400. Riders on foot won by huge margin against dedicated infantry units. I think that mounted units needs to take 2 unit capacity in party (1 for a rider and 1 for a his warhorse).
Also in my yesterday SP campaign I got massive army 400 vs 800 units battle. My 400 army composition was mostly infantry with 60 cav units, sturgian raiders. Enemy vlandian army had 100 cavalry units. Fight was going well, I tried to counter move enemy cav with mine, and AI didn't engaged his cavalry at all before I completely destroyed his infantry. My infantry fight was decisive victory, enemy footmen and reinforsements were or killed or running away, I lost about 30 soldiers. After that I decided to regroup my forces and prepared them into strong defensive formation for cavalry charge. Enemy cavalry were distracted very well by my sturgian raiders for entire infantry fight. But my raiders also were out of javelins to that moment. I moved my cavalry to opposite flank and attracted enemy cavalry to strike just in time and in place to my formation of t4-t5 troops just where and when I planned and immediately closed trap with my out of ammo cavalry behind the enemy. I thought that it will be easy massacre for them, including my epic jumping 2h oneshot swings (I'm playing infantry general, so staying with my men). It was perfectly planned and realised and I was sure that it will be one of the best battles obviously. I was terrible wrong.. Enemy ~90 left knights just cut us like a knife and butter and fight was transformed into bloody mess and was out of control. I lost about 200 well prepared soldiers. I won, but it was a pyrric victory against my all expectations. I was fallen too during this fight.

Damn that sux. Good thing ya shared this. I haven't noticed anyone in the forum talk about this problem. Hopefully it receives some attention. I think it's a big one because it really interferes with the spirit of mount and blade. That feeling of being robbed because the mechanics weren't immersive.

Infantry seem to be extra useless because they cant seem to hold a line or beat any other unit type. They should be the backbone of any army :sad:.

I have my settings on enemies do equal damage, so I don't have an unfair advantage. Nothing beats horse archers. It's pretty ridiculous. I ran a test with custom battle and hard my archers in circle formation. The horse archers out-ranged my own archers. I dunno if this was a bug with circle formation or horse archer range being ridiculous.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon :sad:.

Infantry seem to be extra useless because they cant seem to hold a line or beat any other unit type. They should be the backbone of any army
It told about it in forums many time.
Infantry is complety useless against cav.
Becouse even when cav unit stuck in the infantry blob, footmen are constantly hiting horses with 70 armor and 250 HP. And in the sime time footmen are getting hits right in the head.

Spear infantry is even more useless against cav, becouse they cant wind up spear properly and they are doing 0 damage. Only okay footmen are 2handers with axes or war razors. But they are only kinda okay and nothing more.

In other hand archers in spread formation are doing really well, becouse they dont give a crap about cavalry unit in 2 meters from them. They are still shooting with bows. In warband any archer unit in 5-10 meters will switch to melee weapon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom