Incredibly general question regarding lore of game?

Users who are viewing this thread

AndarielHalo

Regular
Im just starting on this now and trying to navigate the lore, but...

I don't seem to be able to comprehend or haven't found or else it isn't here, but... how does the story here fit in to that of the base game?  Why is this Calradia geographically different from the base game one?  Did I miss mention of the Rhodoks and Sarranids if so?

Short answer: Alternate history.

Long answer: The lore of TEATRC started out as D'Sparil's idea of 'his' Calradia, set in a 15th-16th-17th century proxy. So the Vaegirs were the Russians, the Rhodoks were the Byzantines, the Swadian were, well, the Reich, and so on and so forth. People liked his idea and started to add things to his backstory, resulting in an impressive, collaborative community lore that has more to do with actual European equivalents than vanilla lore.

It's like someone making a Total War mod for The Elder Scrolls and modify the lore accordingly as they go, creating something that diverges completely from the original in the process.

Simple reason for the different map is that EATRC is using a modified version of the old M&B Vanilla map. The new map that we got for Warband simply couldn't be modified to fit in the new factions so a modified M&B map was used, which allowed us to keep the new factions.

Well erm, the Rhodoks did not exist in this timeline (instead, they are replaced by the (now-dead) Ellisian Empire who used to be an Empire that controlled the whole of Calradia; the only state to "revolt" against Swadia was the Imperial State.) The Sarranids are off map somewhere.

Map: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,55327.0.html

Argeus the Paladin said:
It's like someone making a Total War mod for The Elder Scrolls and modify the lore accordingly as they go, creating something that diverges completely from the original in the process.

I don't quite understand this sentence

I don't understand it really...

Had Warband not changed the map to accomodate the Sarranids, you'd probably more easily understand how the story kinda fits in. It's probably far more easily to explain if you have knowledge of the old M&B map, which I presume you don't.

So here's the old map to make more sense:
Mount&Blade_world_map.jpg

Yellow: Nords
Orange: Swadia
Green: Vaegirs
Blue: Rhodoks
Purple: Khergits

Basically, there's a largish divergance of events, with Calradia clearly being a really minor part of the world.:

You know the old "Calrad Empire" hinted at in M&B lore? Well, here it's the Ellisian Empire, which is basically Rome/Byzantium, as the Calrad Empire is hinted at being.

It collapses, as per M&B, but retains the heartlands of Ellis. These lands were, in M&B 1.011 (and older) where the Rhodoks were located i.e. Ellis effectively replaced the Rhodoks.

However, unlike M&B-lore, Swadia goes and conquers the Nords. It then undergoes a civil war and the Imperial State (which I presume you are somewhat familiar with by now) springs up as a result of this alternate history thing. Lauria, another state from the north, promptly captures former Nordic lands in Calradia.

By the time of the latest version of the mod for Warband and M&B, Ellis has been conquered by Swadia and then again conquered by the Lion Throne, who were supporting the collapsing Ellis. The Khergits have been replaced by the Ormelis by way of a coup, iirc, but the Khergits still exist off-map. The Grand Duchy is a map-expansion like the Imperial State and have kinda existed there all the time; the Sarranids are said to exist somewhere again off map, along with the rest of the Lion Throne. Haelmar invades to counter Laurian ambitions in Calradia; the HU itself is a union of nordic states.

It really is quite difficult to understand with a purely Warband knowledge of the strategic map, but it's really quite simple once you know the old M&B map & factions and some of the basic lore.

In summary:

Different map, "Calrad Empire" survives longer but still fractures into the distinctive states. Nords pushed out and eventually replaced by Lauria. Swadia splits into two states, the HSE and the IS. Ellis is defeated and eventually is replaced by the Lion Throne, a worldwide superpower that has ambitions in Calradia. Khergits are booted out by Ormelis and some other factions including the descendants of the Nords and some generally nice-guys join in the fun.

Rhodoks never existed.

And the Vaegirs are still there. Once they were united with another people, the Nirdamese, into a Dual Kingdom. But the Dual Kingdom fell apart after the death of its king, and the Vaegirs became one nation again, under the rulership of Tsar Feodar Grozny.

BTW: Swadia kicks ass.

Just reading this thread reminds me all over again of how I feel in love with the TEARTC lore.

An off-topic question: Once I graduate from med school and earn some higher than normal salary, I'm going to finance and produce a Grand Strategy/RTS version of TEARC ala Total War but not quite; where in the net could I possibly find able programmers and coders? :neutral:

FuryFire said:
Just reading this thread reminds me all over again of how I feel in love with the TEARTC lore.

An off-topic question: Once I graduate from med school and earn some higher than normal salary, I'm going to finance and produce a Grand Strategy/RTS version of TEARC ala Total War but not quite; where in the net could I possibly find able programmers and coders? :neutral:

A TEATRC knockoff without a player character for you to actually get yourself beat to **** in the fray?

Come on. You're doing it wrong!  :cry:

Non-sense, I shall make up for it by developing realistic game mechanics. All clogged up in my head... all ideas that the total war series failed to do. All I need is money to finance it and the coders and programmers to translate my ideas into a game engine :grin:

Back
Top Bottom