MP Increase Camel "Mounted Skirmisher" perk to 5+ javelins

Users who are viewing this thread

Zarthas

Knight at Arms
[CAPTAIN MODE FOCUSED]
The AI struggles to target correctly with a thrown weapon on a good day.

Add into that being 8 feet off the ground on a camel, and even completely stationary you're not going to do much of anything with 3 javelins. It is not uncommon to see your entire salvo of 39 javelins go straight over an enemy unit 20 yards away.

Additionally, mounted skirmishers have a huge penalty vs foot in that they are not able to restock thrown javelins. This could be compensated for by giving mounted throwers an initial payload boost.

It doesent really make sense to give cavalry javelins in the first place ?
Its kinda all a question of what era Bannerlord is supposed to be in. According to early materials, we were looking at between the fall of the Roman Empire and before Hastings, I think 700 AD was thrown around at one point. TW has made this a bit confusing since then, but we're roughly early-middle Dark Ages. A javelin can still get through chain if it hits right, so javelin-cavalry still had a place.

There's a lot of javelin cavalry historically.
There's a lot of mention of the Cantabri using a mongol-esque wheel formation when hurling javelins from horseback.
It stays pretty common throughout the middle east, North Africa and eastern Europe well into the middle ages. It seems like horse-thrown javelins are still effective at the same ranges as infantry-thrown, so you need a lot of open ground to be able to get out of the way of return fire for it to be very useful.

I read about a Frankish tactic of using heavy cavalry equipped with larger throwing spears (Like the Raider's throwing spear that was recently made unusable on horseback) to rush ahead of infantry and break up enemy formations before a mass charge. Can't find a reference quickly though.

In any case, it works thematically for the Aserai and its interesting. If TW is going to put it in the game they need to make it a valid choice, and its pretty amazingly underpowered at this point.
The Batt mounted warriors got a javelin count increase (making them actually kind of fun to use as harassers), not sure why Beduins didn't get the same. I think it was just an oversight.

Back
Top Bottom