Inconsistent Archer firing distances

Users who are viewing this thread

So I was playtesting archers in custom battle vs infantry and noticed their firing distance changes inconsistently while under player control and ai control and when set as defenders or attackers. Their difference in firing distances for both player and ai control is shown in the videos below.

When archers are spread out, set as defenders and fixed position, they start firing at the usual 120 units distance.

Archers under player control, set as attackers and fixed position, they start firing at whooping 280~300 units distance,((this range may change based on archer tier and skill but is still significantly larger than when archers are set as defenders)

AI archers(imperial), set as attackers, advance and fire from a distance of 40 units.

AI archers(khuzait), set as attackers, advance and fire from a distance of 40 units.

AI archers(imperial), set as defenders, start firing at distance of 200-220 units, their charge is very disorganized.

Part 1

Part-2
Player Archers, set as defenders, loose formation and advance, start firing at 70-80 units

Player Archers, set as defenders, loose formation and charge,start firing at 110-120 units

Player archers, set as attackers,advance, firing distance 90-95 units

Player archers, set as attackers,charge, firing distance- as soon as enemy is visible, again charge is very disorganized.

So from the above videos you can observe that archer behaviour for layer and ai is very different when both are set as attackers or defenders, for player,when set as attacker, archers start firing from a a larger distance when compared to player archers set as defenders. Player archers start firing immediately when given the charge command and charge in a very disorganized manner when compared to defender behaviour. Whereas enemy archers display the opposite behaviour.

Is this inconsistency intended? And if not, should it be reported?

It can be different because of things like "a bush" or slight elevation and other non-obvious things.
The skill of the units also effect thier firing distance. Even just 20 skill is noticeable if you pay attention.
I also think there's something like a "notice enemy" time frame when they re-position or enemies move into a range or something and this can have problems come up where they just miss it and don't notice the enemy when they should, I don't know but I've reported various "why they no shoot?" things.
I would suggests playing the campaign mode and reporting issues with archers that arise in the game in a more acute way.
Like "on this map my archers don't fire when it looks like they should".
Of course with the new terrain system coming even that probably would be low priority.

Well I didn't consider elevation advantage, thanks for pointing it out. I did conduct some custom battles again and found that they only shoot at such far away distances only when the enemy is stationary , so I guess they were shooting so far because the enemy was in a defensive position but regarding advance, the player controlled archers seems to operate well, they advance and shoot from 90-100 but for ai controlled archers no matter which archer I choose they always advance and shoot from 40-50 range but I guess this won't matter much in actual battle as ai keeps changing decision based on whichever formation it considers the main enemy

but for ai controlled archers no matter which archer I choose they always advance and shoot from 40-50 range
The AI is notorious for doing bad and stupid things, it's a very common and general complaint/concern. They will some times manage to move archers directly into your units with out them stopping to fire, then try to pull them away rather then just let them fight and just lose them all for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom