In Praise of the new update

Users who are viewing this thread

IronLion

Recruit
Ok guys - SO - I know there's still a bunch of heavy balance issues - particularly when it comes to 2 handed spam classes/perks BUT just wanted to post something positive that I think is really good in the recent patches:

DUEL MODE IS GREAT. I think it's an improvement on the duel mode from Warband and being able to duel people without getting lanced 2 or 3 times is amazing. Great fun.

ANTI-CAV IS HERE!!!!!!!!!! It's been such a long time coming and it's super late BUT we now have options that allow spears to work against cav and actually damage cav. I feel this change gives infantry a chance again in TDM. It was a great decision to have mortal cav units in Warband and I'm so happy that with the new changes it's possible to hit cavalry again.

KICK IS BETTER. The range on the kick was previously outrageous (I was frequently getting caught by opponent kicking whilst I was moving backwards!) This seems to have been fixed and kick is much more reasonable.

My own suggestions for the next patch:

Nerf the f**k out of 2 handers, specifically their speed and ability to deal damage at point blank range (using a glaive successfully at phonebooth range looks and feels outrageous). No more swing attacks with Menav (at the very least not on horseback)

Related to the above but do something about the janky/exploitable turn/swing animation making the 2 handers issues even worse.

Turn on friendly fire in TDM (slightly)

Turn off auto-block option on duel servers. This feels like it should be a no brainer but seems unfair sometimes I'm duelling against people obviously using autoblock on a skill based game mode.

But yeah - thanks Taleworlds! This update, to me at least, feels like a step in the right direction in some aspects. FANKS

Woah - didn't expect such negativity! No I was being completely genuine...What's trolling about it?

Also what's wrong with saying I'd like friendly fire in team death match? Some people play team death match! I *like* team death match. I know most higher level competitive players stick to skirmish but I don't think it's wrong to enjoy other game modes or suggest balances for them? What are y'alls problems with my post?

Woah - didn't expect such negativity! No I was being completely genuine...What's trolling about it?

Also what's wrong with saying I'd like friendly fire in team death match? Some people play team death match! I *like* team death match. I know most higher level competitive players stick to skirmish but I don't think it's wrong to enjoy other game modes or suggest balances for them? What are y'alls problems with my post?
Making suggestion based on a gamemode with no sense of teamwork, strategy or skill:

-You just spawn randomly on the map,
-Pick whatever weapon you find on the ground, probably a two hand weapon and mount a stray horse,
-Go to the near enemy whose fighting a teamates,
-Kill him with no regards about your teamates because there is not friendly fire,
-Purchase to the next enemy, whoever they are, you dont have to care about your chance against them because you can spawn as long as you want with no repercusion to your team,
-Die by an enemy who spawned randomly in your back,
-Repeat untill the server crash or time up.

TDM is the perfect representation of Call of Duty in medieval times. Asking to balance the game around this mode is as best stupid, as worst an act of sabotage.

Making suggestion based on a gamemode with no sense of teamwork, strategy or skill:

-You just spawn randomly on the map,
-Pick whatever weapon you find on the ground, probably a two hand weapon and mount a stray horse,
-Go to the near enemy whose fighting a teamates,
-Kill him with no regards about your teamates because there is not friendly fire,
-Purchase to the next enemy, whoever they are, you dont have to care about your chance against them because you can spawn as long as you want with no repercusion to your team,
-Die by an enemy who spawned randomly in your back,
-Repeat untill the server crash or time up.

TDM is the perfect representation of Call of Duty in medieval times. Asking to balance the game around this mode is as best stupid, as worst an act of sabotage.

How incredibly rude! I like TDM, I'm a fairly casual player and I think I'm entitled to my own opinions, thank you! I do play mainly TDM but I also play a lot of duel and spent a long time in Warband playing battle mode. I personally think these suggestions would improve all game modes and I've never said this is entirely based off of my time playing TDM - that's an assumption you have seem to have made.

I would have to disagree that my views are the result of stupidity and sabotage... I mean.... c'mon man. Grow up a little

I mean despite this guy being a TDM centered guy, he actually makes a lot of sense. 2 hands are again broken cuz throwing weapons are again gone from the meta. Not sure where all the insta "oh look he is TDM hate came from". At least he is not like this jesus guy posting samurai suggestions.

Also autoblock doesn't work in mp at all, being able to turn it in options is just visual as it's not working.

Also I agree to team damage part, both for siege and tdm.

DUEL MODE IS GREAT. I think it's an improvement on the duel mode from Warband and being able to duel people without getting lanced 2 or 3 times is amazing. Great fun.
Duel mode is ok, I was hoping they'd add all classes and factions which I think they wanted a while back, but guessing it got abit too difficult to do. You were immune to damage in Warband on duel until you started a duel with someone so I assume you compared it to Bannerlords previous "duel" server? Definitly an improvement on that.Theres some improvements that could be made but yeah a decent mode.

ANTI-CAV IS HERE!!!!!!!!!! It's been such a long time coming and it's super late BUT we now have options that allow spears to work against cav and actually damage cav. I feel this change gives infantry a chance again in TDM. It was a great decision to have mortal cav units in Warband and I'm so happy that with the new changes it's possible to hit cavalry again.
Was definitly needed, but it shouldve been better implimented, and an upgrade across all spears and not tied to a perk. Now you hard counter cavalry if you have this perk, and if you dont you're screwed. So if you have cavalry stopper, you'll be a weaker infantry, since people with shield breaker will most likely take you out. Rock paper scissors.
The attack speed of spears shouldve been increased, a slight increase in damage across all spears, and cavalry itself shouldve been nerfed in a more complicated way than just reducing and increasing damage, like actually making the rearing mechanic better (running into walls still isnt a guarantee the horse is reared for example.) Couching nerf is nice though. We'll see how effective it is once people get used to it.
Theres still a metric ton of cavalry on siege and TDM, I thought they were gonna increase the cost of cavalry but apperently not? I'd rather they balance it anyway, since increasing the cost of the class will just make it more difficult for new players to play it, and veterans wont really be affected at all.

KICK IS BETTER. The range on the kick was previously outrageous (I was frequently getting caught by opponent kicking whilst I was moving backwards!) This seems to have been fixed and kick is much more reason
The animation is abit odd, I'm guessing they didnt do mocap and just manually added the stomp at the end. Imo the best way to make kicks better is to copy it directly from warband, where kicks felt incredibly satisfying, and it had downsides. Missing a kick was almost a death sentence.

Nerf the f**k out of 2 handers, specifically their speed and ability to deal damage at point blank range (using a glaive successfully at phonebooth range looks and feels outrageous). No more swing attacks with Menav (at the very least not on horseback)
Agreed.

Related to the above but do something about the janky/exploitable turn/swing animation making the 2 handers issues even worse.
Agreed, the ballerina spins make the game look rediculous and fighting 2 handers is just not fun.

Turn on friendly fire in TDM (slightly)
Agreed,ish. Turn on reflective damage, so people cant troll with it, and people are much more likely to learn how to play when they hurt themself from their mistakes.

Turn off auto-block option on duel servers. This feels like it should be a no brainer but seems unfair sometimes I'm duelling against people obviously using autoblock on a skill based game mode.
Theres no auto block option. Duel attracts the best of the best blockers in the game, so most casual players wont stand a chance in a 1v1. Good news is anyone whos willing to put in time and effort can reach the same(ish) level, as you said the game is skill based.
That said, I'm sure there are people using auto blocks, but most of the time the players you're talking about are simply incredibly experienced and good at the game.

People gotta stop attacking casual players on this forum... No wonder people dont want to stick around if everyone instantly jumps down their throat for enjoying the game at their own pace.

Hi - thanks for the more reasonable replies people!

So firstly, just to be clear, I played a lot of lot of lot of Warband back in the day - so as you guys have pointed out the assumption I'm a noob who has only played TDM in Bannerlord is totally incorrect. That said *if I was* there shouldn't be anything wrong with that - and as Greedalicious has pointed out this elitist attitude towards anyone who might be new is exactly the type of attitude to put people off. How about y'all try and be welcoming to the noobs?

In terms of saying duel is better than in Warband I was comparing it to earlier versions of the Duel servers in Bannerlord - I think it is actually better than Warband reasons being:

I like it's really clear to see and challenge anyone despite their distance from you on the map

I like that it's automatically first to 3 to win the duel

I like that you can see someone's equipments and perks before choosing to duel them.

With regards to the auto block....yeaaah now I feel like an idiot HA. Someone pointed out to me the option for autoblock was in the game and I assume because I could see it it was enabled in multiplayer. That said I think I've come across one or two sus people that seemed to block everything... but yeah maybe they were just really really good. On top of that I hope you guys don't get the wrong idea - I sunk so much time into Warband I'm actually pretty good at dueling so I'm not basing these opinons off of nothing. Even in the EU server I'd say I'm generally towards the top 5 or 6 players out of 20 or so.

I like it's really clear to see and challenge anyone despite their distance from you on the map

I like that it's automatically first to 3 to win the duel

I like that you can see someone's equipments and perks before choosing to duel them.
All fair and reasonable opinions yep, cant complain about any of these. In Warband the dueling community made first to 7 the standard, alot of players wanted that to be respected in Bannerlord. Theres more aswell obviously but for the most part, Duel is perfectly functional.

With regards to the auto block....yeaaah now I feel like an idiot HA. Someone pointed out to me the option for autoblock was in the game and I assume because I could see it it was enabled in multiplayer. That said I think I've come across one or two sus people that seemed to block everything... but yeah maybe they were just really really good. On top of that I hope you guys don't get the wrong idea - I sunk so much time into Warband I'm actually pretty good at dueling so I'm not basing these opinons off of nothing. Even in the EU server I'd say I'm generally towards the top 5 or 6 players out of 20 or so.
We've all been there xD The option for autoblock is just a leftover from single player and has no impact on multiplayer at all. 99% certainty that the players you've met are competitive duelists from Warband who've sunk thousands of hours into dueling.
And thats good! The combat system in M&B is definitly not easy to get good at, so you should take pride in that.

I can agree with most points except the anit-cav perk, it is way over the top, even the 200gold heavy horses with barding go down way too easy. But I think it'll be adjusted in the future.

I mean despite this guy being a TDM centered guy, he actually makes a lot of sense. 2 hands are again broken cuz throwing weapons are again gone from the meta. Not sure where all the insta "oh look he is TDM hate came from". At least he is not like this jesus guy posting samurai suggestions.

Also autoblock doesn't work in mp at all, being able to turn it in options is just visual as it's not working.

Also I agree to team damage part, both for siege and tdm.
Yeah, when two-handed swords are faster than one-handed swords then you know somethings up.

The anti cav perks IMO need a slight nerf and then crush through needs a nerf. and It would be nice to be able to tell what perks people have, But outside that, I think the patch made the game better than previously.

aseri infantry fight legion with expert perk+axe is really fun, shield break in literally 1s then get crush by menolive, i dont see how fun that is. dont talk about balance, it simply doesnt make sense on paper...

In my opinion, update 1.6.1 severely slashed the realism and the potential for progress of players in the captains mode, adding child casualness (perks) and arcade (the transience of battles due to the increase in speed and damage) that prevents the dispersion of the tactical arsenal.
Well, I'm not a child and I appreciate realism and tactical freedom in games and in this part the patch upset me. @TaleWorlds please fix this.

The attack speed of spears shouldve been increased, a slight increase in damage across all spears,
+1. When a Cavalry comes around the corner then the spear is often just too slow to react. In TDM it often seems more effective to rear cavalry with my sword(1h/2h) instead of the spear + it gives you an immediate followup where the spear will usually just glance off without the speed bonus.

Agreed,ish. Turn on reflective damage, so people cant troll with it, and people are much more likely to learn how to play when they hurt themself from their mistakes.
I'm sure TW is working on it but there's technical complications.
And yes, team internal self damage is the best way to go at least for TDM. In Warband Siege I found that trolls often just opened the gates or block ladders and then it was better when you were able to kill them.

In addition i found that at least the EU-Servers seem to run much more smoothly since the last time I checked. A few more updates and I might even start to recommend the Game to friends.

Edit: Also seems like the default Gold for TDM and Siege has finally been increased to 110, makes a lot of class choices much more viable :smile:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom