In-game texture are wacky for some mod resources

Users who are viewing this thread

Yagababa

Regular
Hey all,

I'm trying to import some BRF resources to my mod (Some Narf stuff for example)--most of it appears fine while playing, but certain models look really weird, almost like the texture isn't mapping correctly. They look great in OpenBRF, but for some reason it's completely different in game.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas for a workaround/fix?

Thanks!

Solution
A solution would be to create a so called texture atlas. You need to put the different textures upon one single texture file. A simple method for this can be done via simply bundling all the textures into a bigger one, like four 512x512 into one 1024x1024 etc., and use at openbrf the 'Transfrom texture coords' function. If this is something you would like to do, I can write it down in more detail.
Maybe try the following:
  1. check if your BRF files are saved in correct format (not for M&B but for Warband),
  2. check if resources are loaded in correct order (Textures, then Materials, then Meshes),
  3. use OpenBRF to scan if your module has any shortcomings,
  4. double-check your new imported resources for correct materials/ textures/ flags and else,
  5. browse the forum to see if someone already had the same problem before (especially visit OpenBRF section).

Upvote 0
Here's the side by side--the material and textures are in the same BRF so I don't think order is the problem.
The files weren't in Warband format, but I tried making a new BRF file and saving it for warband and it didn't work either.

Upvote 0
Items which have multiple meshes, like your boots above, are not always getting previewed correctly by the engine. The engine uses only the material of the first (main) mesh and applies it to all submeshes. I am not sure anymore if it is still the same at the current game engine version of Warband or if it is only restricted to a few specific item classes (like boots and gloves).

Upvote 1
In the case of the sword, I think you should also check the material and texture have been imported to your .brf file. This is usually what happens when the game is not able to read them.

sNJbE8e.png

Upvote 0
Items which have multiple meshes, like your boots above, are not always getting previewed correctly by the engine. The engine uses only the material of the first (main) mesh and applies it to all submeshes. I am not sure anymore if it is still the same at the current game engine version of Warband or if it is only restricted to a few specific item classes (like boots and gloves).
Is there some way to work around this?

Upvote 0
A solution would be to create a so called texture atlas. You need to put the different textures upon one single texture file. A simple method for this can be done via simply bundling all the textures into a bigger one, like four 512x512 into one 1024x1024 etc., and use at openbrf the 'Transfrom texture coords' function. If this is something you would like to do, I can write it down in more detail.

Upvote 0
Solution
Yeah I'll give it a shot!

I made 3 new texture files 2048x2048 w/ the original 1024 textures for diffuse, normal, and specular--what do I have to do on the OpenBRF side of things?

Upvote 0
Alright scratch that I figured it out! Thanks for the advice.

Fixed the swords too but for some reason some textures like the club are still weird; it looks like the texture is mapped incorrectly but in OpenBRF it looks perfectly fine. These are single meshes so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an alternative it might perhaps work, untested but it came to my mind, if you use additionally an ixmesh_inventory entry at your items, so something like:
Code:
["hat", "Hat", [("hat",0), ("hat",ixmesh_inventory)], etc...
at which you assign the same mesh twice. If that functions you would have less work since you don't need to rework all those textures.

Upvote 0
As an alternative it might perhaps work, untested but it came to my mind, if you use additionally an ixmesh_inventory entry at your items, so something like:
Code:
["hat", "Hat", [("hat",0), ("hat",ixmesh_inventory)], etc...
at which you assign the same mesh twice. If that functions you would have less work since you don't need to rework all those textures.
Thanks I'll give it a shot.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom