In-game Musket Sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

District

Grandmaster Knight
Anybody finding it difficult to believe that muskets are really as quiet as they are in game? My horses hooves hitting the ground are louder. I would like to hear the muskets 20 odd metres away from me...
Is this meant to be?

(My Settings
-Full Sound
-No music)

Something I noticed when I stood back and watched the Rhinebund take a town from the Italians was the echoing of gunfire off in the distance. I thought that was very cool.

But yeah, I suppose the up close musket sounds could be louder.

Yeah, noticed audio was very low, and sometimes you don't even hear it. Hopefully the volume will be increased, and fixed

Believe it or not, when your in the firing line and firing a musket yourself, the sound is not as loud, It sure as hell wakes you up but the sound is softer. Don't expect bolt action 'cracks' with a musket. I've noticed a musket sounds louder when I'm watching someone else fire up close, but whenever I fire my brown bess the sound really doesn't effect me much. The volume of the current sounds could be increased though.

Oforrsteel said:
Believe it or not, when your in the firing line and firing a musket yourself, the sound is not as loud, It sure as hell wakes you up but the sound is softer. Don't expect bolt action 'cracks' with a musket. I've noticed a musket sounds louder when I'm watching someone else fire up close, but whenever I fire my brown bess the sound really doesn't effect me much. The volume of the current sounds could be increased though.

having been in several napoleon era battles in my lifetime i can tell you for sure that it should be louder

Really? Wow. Your pretty old then, about 215-250, something like that? Im suprised your memory is still that good.

Unless of course you were referring to a reenactment.

i was actually thinking about this as well. sometimes the sound of footsteps is louder than a volley fire from a line. Some sounds are super quiet and some are too loud. Just needs some tweaking. I'd really like to see the cannons reworked...I'd love to hear them really BOOMING over the battlefield.

on the sound of the muskets though, specifically the french Charleville 1777 reports are that they were loaded with 150-180 grains of gunpowder, equaling about 170-175dB.

reenactments have a 70 grain maximum imposed for safety reasons (damage to the eardrums).

**I'm pretty sure that info is correct after a double check, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

Nopkar said:
i was actually thinking about this as well. sometimes the sound of footsteps is louder than a volley fire from a line. Some sounds are super quiet and some are too loud. Just needs some tweaking. I'd really like to see the cannons reworked...I'd love to hear them really BOOMING over the battlefield.

on the sound of the muskets though, specifically the french Charleville 1777 reports are that they were loaded with 150-180 grains of gunpowder, equaling about 170-175dB.

reenactments have a 70 grain maximum imposed for safety reasons (damage to the eardrums).

**I'm pretty sure that info is correct after a double check, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

If that's true, something tells me computer speakers aren't able to produce 175 dB for obvious ear damage reasons, but I do think they should be louder than anything but the cannons (unless you're standing far away from them)

Gewehr98 said:
Nopkar said:

If that's true, something tells me computer speakers aren't able to produce 175 dB for obvious ear damage reasons, but I do think they should be louder than anything but the cannons (unless you're standing far away from them)

Thats what I mean, that in my opinion the sounds should be bumped up. The above example was just to show that those old muskets were indeed LOUD and they might not have had a 'crack' sound like modern day firearms do but still, loud is loud.

inb4 someone retorts with "this is alpha": Yes, it is. that's why we're discussing this. put it on the list for a future update.

Docm30 said:
They're plenty loud right next to you, but sound volume falls off at a ridiculous rate in Warband and I can't control that.

Righto. When i'm wearing headphones and crank up the volume its fairly loud but my ear drums bleed when someone yells next to me in the formation :/

Understandable if its a warband issue in the end, slightly disappointing though

They're fine, all they need is a bit more bass to sort of replicate the shockwave passing through your ears. And as said before, there's not so redicilousy loud as you'd think when you are standing behind them.

As someone that frequently handles muskets, he only time my musket was ever loud was when I was shooting in the hallways of a fortress.

Back
Top Bottom