Improve your bloody grammar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Debatably 'til is more appropriate from a grammatical sense since you're omitting the vowel in accordance with general convention in other cases, and "till" is already a verb but for whatever reason till is more commonly accepted in that specific case.

Is the word "to" in that sentence optional, or wrong/right?
I mean, you can leave it out, so it's: "... that oughtn't have more than ..."
You're 100% correct. "Oughtn't" is a perfectly good construction and the "to" is fairly superfluous, though valid. Personally, "ought not" seems like a friendly/concerned suggestion and "ought not to" seems decidedly upset/strict.

'til is an abbreviation of until, and means the same as the word till.
What's the point? Is there any difference at all?
The main difference is that "till" has a heap of other meanings, while "'til" has just one meaning.

"Till" is actually the much older word, with "until" growing from it. The "un-" describes the approach, while the emphasis on "till" is the end point, but I'd say that this nuance is not apparent in modern use.

Compare to "to" and "unto".

Oh look, it's the Hero of Kvatch lol.
It's the most silly sounding topological name in Oblivion that stuck out like a sore thumb. The rest are not much more believable. You would expect names with English (or Latin) origin, but you get obviously artificial words like Cheydinhal and Leyawiin. They made mistakes there, unlike for Anvil, Bruma or Chorrol, which are perfectly sensible names.
Kvatch at least sounds Slavic or Yiddish (it turns out it is from the Yiddish "kvetch", which is actually Germanic), but it's still out of place in a non-Slavic world (unlike the one in The Witcher) and difficult to pronounce for an English speaker.

If you make a game (or more likely, engage in a worldbuilding exercise with your weird friends), please take some time to get the geographical names right or the game will keep reminding people it's just a game made by someone sloppy or deaf. Thank you.
(Btw, my favorite method is to use a real name from some obscure village belonging to the appropriate language group.)

Everything about Cyrodiil, especially its toponymy, is pure cringe. High Rock and Hammerfell are so-so, but the rest of Tamriel is pretty cool.

You can read books in English - that's what I did since I was 16. There's a steep learning curve at first when your vocabulary is small, but the more words you know, the easier it gets.
The idea is to get exposed to English and then rely on your parrot brain to remember the grammar patterns and words.
I had years of English in school, but learned very little there, just the basics. Maybe schools and courses work for some people, but I swear by hands-on approach to learning.

Maybe schools and courses work for some people, but I swear by hands-on approach to learning.
Schools won't help with anything when it comes to actually learning a language. After seven years of classroom taught Spanish in America, I can say hello and how are you but that's about it.

Just date a Latina.
I'd like to improve my bloodyhell grammer, but there're many bloody differences.

What can i do for differences in daily life or grammer? ?
Ignore BrE. Non-Brits saying "wo'ta", "orgn-eye-zayshn" or "caahhhn't" sound ridiculous and pretentious anyway. The ideal Platonic form of dignified International English is Standard American.

@MadVader I read few-short story books & also listened their British dubbings. But, i dont think that i got meaninful electrification at my brain. I may need repitation to make it work before burn. The problem is that translating every single word that i dont know/remember is very time consuming.

Ignore BrE. Non-Brits saying "wo'ta", "orgn-eye-zayshn" or "caahhhn't" sound ridiculous and pretentious anyway. The ideal Platonic form of dignified International English is Standard American.
Standard American English
Unusual British English.
?

International English without any complexity is, indeed, best for me. I like the quality at some British sources, but yes, i need clear/basic understanding.

I'm wondering right now. Were all british colonies at new continent talking british english? Colony ppl came from Great Britan, right? Did american english born between 1750-1800? And, why there is not one international English education literature?

I'm wondering right now. Were all british colonies at new continent talking british english? Colony ppl came from Great Britan, right? Did american english born between 1750-1800? And, why there is not one international English education literature?
No. British English is an abomination and a 19th century scam. Even BBC admits so.

No. British English is an abomination and a 19th century scam. Even BBC admits so.
This morning, i roughly read that article(as i can without translation) . I need to read some more at the interesting topic. It seems like there is no short answer for me. And, i can look for it tomorrow, hopefully.
(btw the woman at article seems tired, and angry)

Let's get all these vaccine neologisms straight:

Vaxx = vaccine/vaccinate/vaccination
Vaxxed = vaccinated
Vaxxer/vaxer = vaccine supporter (although I've never seen this without the 'anti'. Perhaps because it's any sane person. Like there are no anti-killers).
Anti-vaxxer/vaxer = anti vaccine proponent
Antivax = relating to anti-vaccine proponents

Basically the C's have been replaced with X'es, with some grammatical confusion, like vaxxed instead of vaxxinated.

Back
Top Bottom