Improve your bloody grammar!

Users who are viewing this thread

I googled it for @Adorno as I know how it's used in my home country. I agree its an example of holding out beyond everyone else's patience. :smile:
Hold my dictionary!
Obviously holding something means engaging in something in several such phrases. You can hold talks, negotiations, an audience, and a fort.

I think both are okay. It becomes somewhat clearer when you replace "a" with "one", which I assume is the equivalent.
"Many things can be inserted into an anus." is probably just as fine as "Many a thing can be inserted into an anus."
The latter is more precise though, because it specifies that each thing on its own can be inserted into an anus, while the first one may mean that only many things together can be inserted into an anus at once, which can lead to terrible accidents.

I see. So it's more like "Various things." If that's the case, then I guess many uses of that phrase that I've seen are wrong? I often see it used like, "Many a good men died," or, "We have released many an update."

I see. So it's more like "Various things." If that's the case, then I guess many uses of that phrase that I've seen are wrong? I often see it used like, "Many a good men died," or, "We have released many an update."
Those are okay. The possibly difference (and I'm NOT an expert, just chatty) is that the "many good men died" can be a bit more ambiguous than "many a good man died", but practically have the same meaning. It seems that "many a good man died" is a bit more rhetorically pleasing phrasing if you are into showing off.
Let's see what the natives and the experts think.

lsMYz.gif

Is the spelling alright, instead of all right, considered correct, or is it slang?
Should it be avoided in formal writing, but okay to use in conversational texts?

Either are alright IMO.

Should it be avoided in formal writing, but okay to use in conversational texts?

It seems informal to me but I dont think there are any contexts you could really use alright *or* all right in formal text. It's like "I have" and "I've got" which, in anglo-english at least, are exclusively for text and speech respectively for phonetic reasons, despite no official prohibition one way or the other.

It seems informal to me but I dont think there are any contexts you could really use alright *or* all right in formal text. It's like "I have" and "I've got" which, in anglo-english at least, are exclusively for text and speech respectively for phonetic reasons, despite no official prohibition one way or the other.
"The passengers on the mini submarine seemed to be all right after the explosive decompression" is formal enough.

Back
Top Bottom