SP - General Improve the recruitment system separating troop lines by fief type

Users who are viewing this thread

@niekdegrijze, @Terco_Viejo Thank you! Nice idea!
I guess you mean normal recruits should not at all be available
Level 3 cap sounds great!

You could make an additional troop tree that only upgrades to tier 3. This tree and it's recruits will only become available after a foreign culture takes over te town. For the empire this is easy. you could use the basic units, and give them empire weapons, helmets and shield, but leave their armor native for example.

There are 6 cultures
That means for each culture, there needs to be 5 Auxilery trees? One for each other culture?
That´s 30 new trees times 3 tiers - 3 to a maximum (but never used) of 7 units/tree(a base-tree with a early fork) gives 90 - 210 new units. <---EDITED: the count was only 3 units/tree
Just pointing out that this is rather big. Alot of copy-paste but still needs some balancing. Still very interesting!

Is the idea that a conquering lord never should be able to recruit "proper" units from their holdings?

Last edited:
@niekdegrijze, @Terco_Viejo Thank you! Nice idea!
I guess you mean normal recruits should not at all be available
Level 3 cap sounds great!

There are 6 cultures
That means for each culture, there needs to be 5 Auxilery trees? One for each other culture?
That´s 30 new trees times 3 tiers - 3 to a maximum (but never used) of 7 units/tree(a base-tree with a early fork) gives 90 - 210 new units. <---EDITED: the count was only 3 units/tree
Just pointing out that this is rather big. Alot of copy-paste but still needs some balancing. Still very interesting!

Is the idea that a conquering lord never should be able to recruit "proper" units from their holdings?
you are right that this at a lot of troop trees although it is a lot of copy past. It would be easy to add this only for empire and use the militia tree for the other factions.
it is debatable what the "proper" units are. If you like your army to be more homogenous, you would like to change the recruitment to your kingdom culture. If you like to be able to recruit the original units from that town, than that's your preference. regardless of the above, I would like a period where after the initial capture, it is not possible to recruit units that can advance quickly to higher tiers. After this period (length is also debatable) yes it will be possible to recruit proper units.

you are right that this at a lot of troop trees although it is a lot of copy past. It would be easy to add this only for empire and use the militia tree for the other factions.
it is debatable what the "proper" units are. If you like your army to be more homogenous, you would like to change the recruitment to your kingdom culture. If you like to be able to recruit the original units from that town, than that's your preference. regardless of the above, I would like a period where after the initial capture, it is not possible to recruit units that can advance quickly to higher tiers. After this period (length is also debatable) yes it will be possible to recruit proper units.

"Proper" ment the regular tree. If I conquer a Battanian city as a Vlandian lord, when could I expect to upgrade my battanian recruits to T4-T5.

Militias has T4 but lacks a T1. That wouls need to be added, no big deal really. Actually, thinking of it, I have made a suggestion recently about multiple paths from the T1 regular troop. This could be used. Then we would need only an unlock critera and T2-T3 tiers of the auxilery. I assume T1 would be boringly same as the regular recruit anyway.

...For me, it would be interesting if the recruitment panel of each settlement showed up:

VillagesCastlesTowns
Common troop / Minor faction trees by regular notable

Criminal troop trees by mafia notable
Noble troop tree by sargeant-castellarMilitia / Guards / Mercenary / Minor faction (only those native in settlement origin) troop tree by regular notable

Criminal troop trees by mafia notable

Adding my two cents to say I love this suggestion.

Regarding ability to recruit different troops from a different culture than the settlement culture -- I've had this idea for a while that it should be possible to unlock this via settlement projects. The city owner should be able to build ethnic enclaves, for example if I own Tyal but decide I'd like some Khuzait flavor in the town, I can build a 'Khuzait quarter' which over time could have the following effects:
  • Adds 1-2 new Khuzait notables (maybe one merchant, one mafia). If combined with Terco's suggestion above, these would provide militia/guards/mercenary troops and criminal troops respectively
  • Adds a small selection of Khuzait armor, weapons, and trade goods (e.g. steppe horses) to the town's inventory
To make it a more interesting choice, a town can only have 1 ethnic enclave -- so players have to choose carefully if they value Imperial armor and trade goods, or Vlandian soldiers, for instance.

For balance reasons, adding an ethnic enclave should probably reduce settlement loyalty and security, both to give them trade-offs (otherwise no reason not to build one) and to reflect the sad historical reality that xenophobia and ethnic conflict was (and remains) a thing.

This would give players a meaningful new way to invest in their towns, and enable them to unlock access to non-settlement culture troops in towns (within limits).

@84Slashes It's an interesting idea, but its implementation requires explicit changes in the scenes and that volume of changes would be too big for devs (I guess - plausible).

So, new neighborhoods - districs or the whole city changing (culture change / architecture evolution-change) - I don't see it, mostly because it would take a lot of work to implement it. However, just as there are settlement projects, perhaps player could enable one with a bonus and possible penalty.

I refer to a settlement project consisting of ghettos. They could only be carried out in non-native conquered cities (f.e. Vlandia conquers Car Banseth). Together with the OP's main idea and the various 2cents that have been added, this idea and what we are commenting now; would generate an availability of troops of Battanian origin in the villages Geunat Nal, Tor Leiad, and Bog Beth despite the Vlandian domination and at the same time with time flowing obtaining availability of basic units of Vlandian troops in a mixed compendium.

As you well say, the negative but interesting (imo) part would be that its construction (in a virtual way like Aquaducts, Fairgrounds, Training Fields..etc) could cause a deterioration of the loyalty and therefore some eventual rebellions.

So, new neighborhoods - districs or the whole city changing (culture change / architecture evolution-change) - I don't see it, mostly because it would take a lot of work to implement it. However, just as there are settlement projects, perhaps player could enable one with a bonus and possible penalty.
Good point, I was assuming any such enclave/ghetto wouldn't be accompanied by any actual scene changes or visible difference in the city -- besides the addition of notables, which I assume can be spawned at random in the city -- players would only interact with this option thru the Manage Settlement menu. I don't think other town projects lead to visible scene changes, do they?

I refer to a settlement project consisting of ghettos. They could only be carried out in non-native conquered cities (f.e. Vlandia conquers Car Banseth). Together with the OP's main idea and the various 2cents that have been added, this idea and what we are commenting now; would generate an availability of troops of Battanian origin in the villages Geunat Nal, Tor Leiad, and Bog Beth despite the Vlandian domination and at the same time with time flowing obtaining availability of basic units of Vlandian troops in a mixed compendium.
This could work as well, definitely. The auxiliary idea makes so much sense to me, and would be great for immersion -- really hope that TW considers that.

As you well say, the negative but interesting (imo) part would be that its construction (in a virtual way like Aquaducts, Fairgrounds, Training Fields..etc) could cause a deterioration of the loyalty and therefore some eventual rebellions.
I appreciate the feedback. IMO settlements could be so much more than they are currently, and present interesting choices with payoffs and penalties. If it is the complexity of adding scenes that prevents TW from considering this, I would love to understand that more. Maybe there is a low-scope way to present the choice to players.

Fantastic ideas.
Criminal troops being renegades could be loyal to you even if their faction hates you while noble troops should care about your deeds.

Back
Top Bottom