Improve Siege Machines on Campaign Map

Users who are viewing this thread

Siege machines are currenty useless and time consuming on the campaing map during a siege.

Lets say for example that the settlement under siege has 4 balistas and I go ahead and built a trebuchet, my trebuchet will go ahead and hopefully destroy one balista and then focus on the wall ignoring and getting hit by the rest of the ballistas, eventually getting destroyed and taking casualties, while the enemy has already build his destroyed balista back.

My suggestion is to make the siege machines to focus on the enemy settlement defences and after they are destroyed to focus on the wall. Very simple I believe, but Talewords seems to make things impossible to be added for some reason..

Interesting enough I remember that on previous updates (i am currently on 1.8 ) the attacking siege machines would focus on the enemy siege machines first and then on the wall, could be wrong though.

Interesting enough I remember that on previous updates (i am currently on 1.8 ) the attacking siege machines would focus on the enemy siege machines first and then on the wall, could be wrong though.
This is true. I haven't played 1.8.0 enough to notice the change, I hope it is corrected.

Also - Allow the player to choose which engines to build when commanding a defence of a city during a siege.

This is definitely an area I hope they swing back to and focus on. More options on what your siege equipment does. Maybe I want the trebuchet to focus on the wall while my ballistas fire at the opposing ballistas.

Allowing the defender to decide what they are building versus all ballistas. I thought at one stage you could build catapults in those slots.

I’m happy things are coming along, but a little more control would be great

The OP doesn't seem to know that you can click a built siege machine and put it in reserve, so that you deploy them all at the same time.
It's not a very satisfying mechanism but at least it makes them useful.
Other than that, I didn't notice any difference in 1.8 : they shoot quite randomly, and they seem to ignore enemy spots that are on the other side of the city.

That's a bit of a necro, but yeah, campaign map siege is wonky. (Inside of a mission, siege all seems to work mostly well - historical issues with ladders aside - the weapons all do more or less what you'd expect them to do. I rarely used trebuchets in mission so dunno about those, I guess).

On the map side, trebuchets have a clear function (smash walls, but take a long time == leave you exposed to defending armies). The others are more wishy-washy, and because of how it works, the defending castle churns out defensive weapons that just destroy anything you build in an instant. The send to reserves trick (which honestly feels almost like an exploit!) works, but like @Lesbosisles said, the AI doesn't make use of it so their machines all get smashed. It also means basically bypassing the map-side minigame altogether, rather than being a strategy to engage with it.

The OP doesn't seem to know that you can click a built siege machine and put it in reserve, so that you deploy them all at the same time.
Thats not the point of the post though is it?
You seem to not have understood that i am talking about the campaign map siege and not the actual battle, and either way I want my siege weapons to destroy the enemy siege weapons in order to have less casualties from enemy catapults, not keep them in reserve, thats the whole point.

You seem to not have understood that i am talking about the campaign map siege and not the actual battle, and either way I want my siege weapons to destroy the enemy siege weapons in order to have less casualties from enemy catapults, not keep them in reserve, thats the whole point.
What he's saying is you can put them in reserve after each one builds and then when all 4 are built you deploy them all at once so that it's 4v4 instead of each one getting destroyed as it's built.

Siege machines are currenty useless and time consuming on the campaing map during a siege.

Lets say for example that the settlement under siege has 4 balistas and I go ahead and built a trebuchet, my trebuchet will go ahead and hopefully destroy one balista and then focus on the wall ignoring and getting hit by the rest of the ballistas, eventually getting destroyed and taking casualties, while the enemy has already build his destroyed balista back.

My suggestion is to make the siege machines to focus on the enemy settlement defences and after they are destroyed to focus on the wall. Very simple I believe, but Talewords seems to make things impossible to be added for some reason..

If you build your siege machines and move them to reserve as soon as they are finished building, when the 4th one is built, show up the 3 previous ones that were in reserve, and you’ll have 4 machines against the besieged’s 4.
Breaking the walls is a problem cause our troops sometimes enter the breach one by one, the advantage of destroying walls turns to nightmare for the besieger lol…

Else with the reserve system I often build 4 of each machines, trebuchets for siege, and for the assault simulation I use catapults and ballistas - I always try to attack with ennemy having no siege machines provided the AI of our troops.

What he's saying is you can put them in reserve after each one builds and then when all 4 are built you deploy them all at once so that it's 4v4 instead of each one getting destroyed as it's built.
Or do this but then just deploy them all while it's paused and launch the siege attack if you only wanted to use them in combat and not on the map.

The only thing is that AI can't do this, so, it only makes siege engines useful for the player alone.
It's true but now with team ups they don't have to they just dog pile and get it done. Obliviously the AI should build them and store them to be able to use them effectively but the AI can't do anything at all. It can't even handle "if have X money, don't spend more then X money" and needs to have extra cash and extra recruitment and other free bees and lack of punishments (what happens if no money to pay the mercs? Oh nothing. What happens to garrison if no money? oh nothing) to keep going.

*Oh but warband cheats and you like warband* Yes, warband cheats and I like Warband.

The AI usually attacks with such superior forces that siege engines do not matter that much in my experience. The change I desire the most for sieges would be either be able to order wether ballistas or catapults are built as defender or that both types of machines are built every time.

The AI usually attacks with such superior forces that siege engines do not matter that much in my experience. The change I desire the most for sieges would be either be able to order wether ballistas or catapults are built as defender or that both types of machines are built every time.
Defenders' ballistas are 95% cases useless for me. They make too insufficient damage to affect the battle's outcome.

The only thing that can really turn the tables even with superior forces are mangonels. If you are lucky enough to destroy at least one siege tower (both - perfect) and a ram, then the attackers have no chances.

It would be great if the Siege weapons were auto in reserve as they get shot at and potentially hit even when you move them as the Defenders engines always get 1 shot off.

personally I would prefer it so that the engines had different levels of engineering to build (trebs needing like say 150 engineering) but each having a unique benefit e.g. trebs can't be hit by defending engines in the campaign map (as they were designed to outrange defenses in real life), but make them slower to build, while catapults are faster but can be hit, then Ballista's are super fast construction....

Doesn't type of projectile throwers conjured for defender depend on level of walls?
Lvl 1=> balista
Lvl 2 => catapult
Lvl 3 => trebuchet
Just assuming 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom