Impressions on Bannerlord 1.7.1 After a 1 year break

Users who are viewing this thread

I think we're agreeing in principle but using different language here. The late game is GRINDY, but it is not hard. Once you have 25 clans you can just AFK and watch your team conquer the world.
If you have 25 clans in your kingdom your past the tipping point and it should be all down hill from there. Almost every world domination game has this flaw and why it's difficult for many to finish a game.

I'd like the late game to offer me mechanical, strategic, and tactical challenges rather than just being a time sink.
This game is really just a time sink because Taleworlds just doesn't know how to put good mechanics into a game and even if they did that wouldn't appeal to the console crowd. Personally I'm just waiting for the game to release so good modders can actually add some depth that Talesworlds won't or can't add.

You said it was a losing "factor" without specifying how different factors weigh against eachother.

Am I to understand if I take a Fief, as a losing factor it would outweigh ALL winning factors until some time condition is met?

The time condition aspect would still seem to me harder in the early game, easier in the late game. And it would basically just involve people waiting around on defense to meet the specific time condition to make peace, which I'd consider to be equally gamey as paying for peace is while adding tedium. I just don't see how it fixes late game challenge, it just adds more grind between fief taking.

Take fief, turtle for X time, propose peace vs. take fief, propose peace. The turtling aspect is more to do, but if you're in the late game it's not more difficult in terms of strategic challenge - overall I think it would only accomplish a delay in map painting.
Virtually every tribute-factor will be unfavorable for the player after taking a fief. Militia do not count as deaths or for the power level in a war score. Injuries do count as casualties.

Even in a good siege, the attacker is likely to lose more (non-militia) troops than the defender. You also get the tribute penalty for a reduced density of power+parties/fiefs when you add a fief.

How would you even turtle in this game? The enemy will attack your least-guarded fief and raid your villages, driving war your war score down even further.

You are also ignoring the power of blitzing fiefs to make fiefless-clans, peacing, converting the clan, and then re-declaring.

Virtually every tribute-factor will be unfavorable for the player after taking a fief. Militia do not count as deaths or for the power level in a war score. Injuries do count as casualties.

Even in a good siege, the attacker is likely to lose more (non-militia) troops than the defender. You also get the tribute penalty for a reduced density of power+parties/fiefs when you add a fief.

How would you even turtle in this game? The enemy will attack your least-guarded fief and raid your villages, driving war your war score down even further.

You are also ignoring the power of blitzing fiefs to make fiefless-clans, peacing, converting the clan, and then re-declaring.

The game has a defensive mode. If you have more clans and your own large army, you will be able to effectively turtle by toggling it - unless you're in multiple wars perhaps. And you can of course toggle to offensive if you capture/kill enough lords after a certain point to win war score even more easily. Also, you can easily offset siege troop loss with a single battle if necessary - which often is practically handed to you when a few lords rush to siege defense(dismiss one party from army and they can catch them for you). I sometimes siege with no intention of completing just to lure parties to me for easy money when playing as mercenary.

I am not ignoring the power of blitzing fiefs - I'm aware of it as an issue. I'm just not seeing how your proposed solution achieves your stated goals - more actual challenge rather than less grind.

I would agree peace is too cheap and easy currently, I just think you're going in the opposite direction to an extreme that doesn't fix anything.

Granted, it's always hard to tell on paper vs. in practice.

The game has a defensive mode. If you have more clans and your own large army, you will be able to effectively turtle by toggling it - unless you're in multiple wars perhaps. And you can of course toggle to offensive if you capture/kill enough lords after a certain point to win war score even more easily. Also, you can easily offset siege troop loss with a single battle if necessary - which often is practically handed to you when a few lords rush to siege defense(dismiss one party from army and they can catch them for you). I sometimes siege with no intention of completing just to lure parties to me for easy money when playing as mercenary.

I am not ignoring the power of blitzing fiefs - I'm aware of it as an issue. I'm just not seeing how your proposed solution achieves your stated goals - more actual challenge rather than less grind.

I would agree peace is too cheap and easy currently, I just think you're going in the opposite direction to an extreme that doesn't fix anything.

Granted, it's always hard to tell on paper vs. in practice.
If I have more clans and my own large army the game is, in my experience, over.

I'm mostly talking about how easy it is to go from 1 fief to 10 fiefs by taking land from kingdoms that you have no realistic ability to fight.

If I have more clans and my own large army the game is, in my experience, over.

I'm mostly talking about how easy it is to go from 1 fief to 10 fiefs by taking land from kingdoms that you have no realistic ability to fight.
the moment i can create my own kingdom i already could field the best army in the continent by hiring merc at 0 up front cost. and because i'm not an idiot i gather everything up and defeat my opponents in detail so i hardly lose any men as i steamroll their entire kingdom. usually i can take 10 fiefs with my first army in less than a year of starting the campaign

the moment i can create my own kingdom i already could field the best army in the continent by hiring merc at 0 up front cost. and because i'm not an idiot i gather everything up and defeat my opponents in detail so i hardly lose any men as i steamroll their entire kingdom. usually i can take 10 fiefs with my first army in less than a year of starting the campaign
agreed, it is too easy to establish a kingdom on even footing with the existing AI factions

Back
Top Bottom