Impossible Lord Recruiting

Users who are viewing this thread

I have yet to actually recruit a lord to my nation and when I do manage to pass the Mini-game they require almost 1 mil denars to join????? Anyone else having this problem?

Hey boss, its not a problem, its the horrible system they implemented or the horrible placeholder they have. Don't bother making any more post though, you'll just get attacked by all the white knights and fan boi's who can't accept any criticism of the game.

Also, even if you got a lord to join you, you can't give him any fiefs right now. Unless you get mods. If you get DiplomacyReworked that should get you straight though.

Level up your charm. Once you do, it's a lot easier and cheaper. Also if you get one ineffective outcome, stop the conversation as if you keep going, you will never be able to recruit them again in the future.

Uhhh unless something has recently changed. I don't think this is true. I have always had high charm on all my play through (over 150) and it still takes save scumming, and tons of gold to recruit lords. Take dudes answer with a grain of salt.

Wait what? Is that true??

No it isn't. You can give it another go after roughly 2 weeks to a month of in-game time. Still, savescumming tends to be the more rewarding route.

Levelling up your charm however does do wonders, especially if you get the 10% critical chance perk (you get 2 little circles filled in for one succesful phrase).
Increasing your relationship with the Lord also helps a great deal as it lowers the persuasion threshold: you get filled in circles off the bat, lowering the number of succesful phrases. At one point I tried persuading a Lord I had 50 relationship with and I already had 3/4 circles before the conversation.
Finally, Lords of Kingdoms which are severely losing are also more inclined to abandon their failing liege.

As for the gold cost, the more powerful and more fiefs a Lord has the higher a tribute he'll ask. Always try to convince Lords of Kingdoms you're at war with, because if you're succesful they'll take all their fiefs with them, giving your faction a huge spike. Otherwise they'll abandon them and you'll have to conquer them yourself. Lords of Kingdoms you share a culture with also have a chance to join you without asking for any gold tribute.

In my case the persuasion is not a problem. The problem is that they require impossible amounts of cash to switch to your side, which wasnt a problem in my first playthrough. Before they would ask a reasonable 250k or 500k at max and they had one or two cities with a castle and I had negative relation with them. But now for example in my current playthrough, Im trying to get Olek (who sided with the Khuzait) on my side and he owns only 1 city, Onira and I have 3 relation with him and when I give him all I got(150k) the bar only fills up about 5%. Not to mention you have to go to each lord personally while the other factions can recruit lords telepathicallyand Im not sure if they even have to pay for them. Even more, the lords I recruit constantly switch sides to ther previous faction without any consequences (treason and such). What update caused this nonsense?

yes, its one of the patches that was meant to have made things more challenging, i believe, but instead made it impossible. what i think thety could do to rectify situation a little is to allow one more party once you hit clan level 5 so you've got one more army in the field without having to rely on treacherous lords so heavily. also, would be fantastic if commands could be added to companion parties - basic things such as 'garrison here', 'patrol there' etc. this would go a long way in making things more reasonable and manageable, giving a player more options and control.

Yeah, if you make the lords very hard to recruit, make at least possible so you are able to assign fiefs to clans that come crawling to you once you painstakingly defeat the intire kingdom and so a clan doesnt have fiefs on opposite sides of the map.

Level up your charm. Once you do, it's a lot easier and cheaper. Also if you get one ineffective outcome, stop the conversation as if you keep going, you will never be able to recruit them again in the future.
not quite. The % chances still suck even with charm 275 (been there, done that). And if you pick the wrong "sex" perk for boosting it, it sucks even worse... I've tested it, took the "romatic" perk on a male character, 275 charm, had under 40% chance of success on all persuasion options with males, which's quite retarded if you ask me (the way persuasion works here is much like the garbage it was in Warband, they could sub the % chances written there and just give a disclaimer: "Save-scum me!").

I've found it fairly easy with 0 save scumming. I think the cost is based on your net worth. That's my theory anyway. It's the same as marriage. I've paid 5k for a bride and over 100k. I've paid between 100k and 250k for a Lord to switch sides. I suspect it may also have something to do with what holdings they are bringing with them. A guy who had just 1 castle cost less than a guy who had a city. Chance may also have something to do with your relation with them and their relation to their king.

The AI also seems to be able to get lords to switch. I saw a major Battanian Lord join the Khuzaits who I was at war with. That was cool to see.

I have yet to actually recruit a lord to my nation and when I do manage to pass the Mini-game they require almost 1 mil denars to join????? Anyone else having this problem?
This Problem came with Patch 1.3 i guess. In my current game I tried to get some vassals. Major Faction, no mercenaries, tier 3 - 5 clans. They cost me between 3-5 Million. And will leave after 3 days. I had 100 relation with them. That won´t stop them. I tried it 5 times, always the same. Until next Patch or maybe longer you will have to wait, i guess. It´s a fun game, but not playable atm.

This Problem came with Patch 1.3 i guess. In my current game I tried to get some vassals. Major Faction, no mercenaries, tier 3 - 5 clans. They cost me between 3-5 Million. And will leave after 3 days. I had 100 relation with them. That won´t stop them. I tried it 5 times, always the same. Until next Patch or maybe longer you will have to wait, i guess. It´s a fun game, but not playable atm.
All the "politics" system is broken atm. They should prioritize that feature instead of making questionable balancing tweaks, but then again it's probably because they have nothing to show for on the diplomacy side, so they are just sugar-coating it with those silly nerfs or giving AI cheating capabilities. If I was leading their teams I'd be focusing on other more concerning balance issues like player progression (XP gain, rate, caps), quests (rewards, difficulty, availability), AI (less stupid decision making), and some place-holder war system (so there's no retarded war declarations / peace agreements, and forcing peace agreements to last longer). As it is they are focusing way more on the more insignificant balance issues than they should... I mean, who cares if caravans make money? At the end-game you'll be swiming on money, and Lords already get to swim on money by Early-to-Mid game stages. In fact AI lords are too damn OP imo, it's too common to see them sitting on millions of gold and tens of thousands of influence points (which's broken, because due to that the AI starts to behave ridiculously concerning "internal politics)

Their balancing efforts have been way more focused on ruining the player experience than to actually make the game what it's supposed to be (AI playing on the same grounds as the player is). If those things aren't temporary (which is my greatest fear) this game will inherit every single bad thing about Warband, making the Vanilla garbage and forcing us to, in the future, exclusively play mods. I mean, I already have to resort to mods to make it even a bare minimum enjoyable. Just added the Collision Fix mod along with the "Fix the damn spears dude", and already found that I was playing the game in an unplayable state. (translating into the fact that even combat, which's in theory the strong-point of their EA, being broken)

Last edited:
That is the worst part. They leave so quickly. You spend all of the effort, money etc and poof they are gone. Back to fight the zerg war alone.

Increasing your relationship with the Lord also helps a great deal as it lowers the persuasion threshold: you get filled in circles off the bat, lowering the number of succesful phrases. At one point I tried persuading a Lord I had 50 relationship with and I already had 3/4 circles before the conversation.
Are you sure that's true? I thought that lords remembered previous efforts you made, so if you get to two circles and fail, in a few weeks when you try again they are at 2 circles again.

Are you sure that's true? I thought that lords remembered previous efforts you made, so if you get to two circles and fail, in a few weeks when you try again they are at 2 circles again.

The Lords in my game most certainly don't remember previous efforts. Then again, I can't claim I remember the amount of succesful circles with a Lord two weeks of in-game time ago. But no, the Lords I encountered this mechanic with I was definitely convincing for the first time.

The higher my relationship with them was, the more circles were added in. While correlation does not equal causation, I've yet to identify another variable that could influence this lower threshold.

yes, its one of the patches that was meant to have made things more challenging, i believe, but instead made it impossible. what i think thety could do to rectify situation a little is to allow one more party once you hit clan level 5 so you've got one more army in the field without having to rely on treacherous lords so heavily. also, would be fantastic if commands could be added to companion parties - basic things such as 'garrison here', 'patrol there' etc. this would go a long way in making things more reasonable and manageable, giving a player more options and control.

Agree 100% here.

The Lords in my game most certainly don't remember previous efforts. Then again, I can't claim I remember the amount of succesful circles with a Lord two weeks of in-game time ago. But no, the Lords I encountered this mechanic with I was definitely convincing for the first time.

The higher my relationship with them was, the more circles were added in. While correlation does not equal causation, I've yet to identify another variable that could influence this lower threshold.
just tested it, they definitely remember previous efforts.

Back
Top Bottom