Imported face mesh won't deform hair, eyebrows, and beard

Users who are viewing this thread

TL;DR
I exported the native head mesh, renamed it, and imported as a new face mesh. However, FaceGen won't adjust the hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, and beard according to the morphed face mesh. It looks like this:

What I've done:

1. Exported the head_male_a to FBX via TpacTool
  2. Imported the FBX into Blender, renamed the mesh names to "head_male_mod*"
  3. Without further changes, the skeleton and meshes are exported to a new FBX, following the community doc "Blender 3D Asset Workflow"
  4. In the Bannlord Modding Kit, I imported the FBX to the Assets/human folder of a newly created mod. The import settings are:
    1. Unit: meter
    2. Blend shape import as: as_morph_anim
    3. NOT import skeleton (otherwise it'll crash)
  5. Added the mesh tags, i.e. "face_base_mesh", "face_eye_mesh", etc.
  6. For simplicity, I changed the Native/ModuleData/skins.xml directly without creating a new race. The "face_meta_mesh" of first human skin (male adult) is modified to "head_male_mod"

Ragnar Hrodgarson from the Discord channel helped me investigate this issue. It turns out it's because the material order of the imported FBX is different from the vanilla's:

Vanilla: Skin > Eye > Mouth
Imported: Eye > Skin > Mouth

This seems to happen only in version 1.0.3.

Does anyone know where I can reach out to the official development team to report this issue?

Besides, I can hardly understand why it relies on the material order to find the right material since the materials can own tags already.

Upvote 0
Update: For Blender users, a workaround is to join head, head.1, and head.2 into one mesh, then ensure the materials are in the right order in the mesh's material list before exporting it.

Upvote 0
Can confirm this is also reproducible for me. Workaround posted above did not work. Material order in blender is fine, but once imported into mod tools, something seems to occasionally randomize the materials. I've seen this on various meshes, it's only a noticeable issue on head meshes since apparently, the main head mesh material has to be first.

This is actually a big bug.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom