IMPORTANT SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT: Password Theft Attempts

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I passed on all of the info to the online scam division of the New South Wales Police about 13 hours ago, after Amman D'Stazia suggested it and pointed me in the right direction for who to contact down there on the other side of the globe.

password_hijack_attempt.jpg

Out of curiosity, are there legitimate uses of this tab? I once got this pop up when I logged into one of the campus computers (it was a mac IIRC) asking for my details after signing in. At the time I waved it off as something that was necessary seeing as this computer was in an entirely different section of campus and I've never used one of the computers in this section before. I am now seriously worried, in any case I'll alert someone to it.

My school uses Microsoft SharPoint and when you log in outside of school it's through a pop-up like that.

Same here. Generally They're nothing to be worried about, but occasionally you get a malicious one.

Yeah, it shows up when your browser tries to access something on a remote server and that server sends your browser back an "authentication required" HTML header to indicate a username/password is required to access that area. Your browser then shows you that sort of popup asking you for the appropriate login info, which it would then send back to the remote server with another access request. It is indeed normally used for legitimate password requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom