Implement a Block Stamina

Users who are viewing this thread

? It was an example for the possible crazy situations(which can happen in field). I see what you are gennerally telling, and i think devs can overcome from your worries within well balanced variable systems. > I support stamina thing with its balance, and there should be other systems, like mastery system that effects your stamina regeneration speed etc.

(pls dont say: "whaat? mastery system? no!" we need advanged systems for field. we cant stay where we are)

Ever felt hilarious when you see a looter/peasant able to block a great axe from max speed horse charge with their one rusty handed weapon? Or, you see their rusty one handed weapon able to block multiple bashes at once with ease.

In warband you can block a lance with your fists if you're good enough at the game. This is a good thing, it allows for basically superhuman plays if you can block well enough. But the more arbitrary limitations you add, the more you're limiting player expression and turning everything into a fight against the mechanics rather than between two players.

I also feel like some people are arguing for a stamina system because they feel like the character does stuff that wouldn't be possible in real life. If anyone believes that, lay off the burgers immediately because you are hopelessly out of shape. Swinging a sword is barely more strenuous than swinging your arms.

? It was an example for the possible crazy situations(which can happen in field). I see what you are gennerally telling, and i think devs can overcome from your worries within well balanced variable systems. > I support stamina thing with its balance, and there should be other systems, like mastery system that effects your stamina regeneration speed etc.

(pls dont say: "whaat? mastery system? no!" we need advanged systems for field. we cant stay where we are)
Again in a game about fighting making fighting give a disadvantage does not sound like a nice thing

I tried to express myself for the suggestion, and all ideas are welcome. Just final addition here..

You can see all of the shield usage forms at different games below. I'm acually talking for number 4, the best option. And, i dont think you want option 5, because there is a reason. (just think same best option for stamina)

1-easly breakable shield
2-balanced breakable shield
3-barely breakable shield
4-balanced breakable shield with situations that can change the balance postively or negatively
5-non-breakable shield

I played alot of Mordhau and Chivalry back in the day, their stamina systems required the entire game to built around them. From chambers cost-efficiency, weapon drop on min. stamina, and a single area blocking system.

Chambering in Bannerlord doesn't work, weapons take 2-3 seconds to actually become entities you can pick up, and its a multi-blocking system not a single blocking system.

Considering it has taken months for something as contentious as crushthrough to be removed (still waiting on live patch!) I would hate to see the complete debacle that would be made of successfully trying to implement a stamina system. It's not just the stamina bar, it's all the small mechanics that go with it.

I'd much rather see existing new additions (like shield bash) be worked on so that they feel like a unique and useful mechanic, not a budget version of a kick.

I still struggle to see what the stamina system would provide, sure it'll increase teamwork but that's due to the detriment of individual skill, it's punishing a lack of teamplay rather than encouraging good teamplay. I don't think that's a good way to approach the problem.

The cooperation effect- can start at where we lose our stamina (for a limited time). Accually when we lose it;
-we can run away
-we can try to attack slowly
See, that is were it completely fails. You run away? First, if stamina would affect running you would be ****ed because you can't run properly, and even if stamina didn't affected your movement then you have no chance of not losing a couple of men in the process, and then I remind you, cavalry and archers exists, you start running away and the first thing you're getting is: a sword in your back because your enemies are able to reach you, a braced spear in the back, an arrow in your head.

And trying to attack slowly? What is that? Hitting a shield once and let the other classes trash you for not resolving the choke fast enough? Even if I tried it as a concept it already has a ton of holes and they will literally translate into gameplay. Go ahead, make a mod or wait for a modder to do so, I don't think it would be fun at all, just a nuisance that limits players performance

And about shields, you're missing and important thing about losing your shield: once you lose it you still can block manually, something that is hard but doable, stamina instead, leaves the player open to die with (like I've said) nothing to do about it

Last edited:
Why are you tagging people for a system that only you and a couple of people want? There is a forum section specifically for posting suggestions, which already has a buttload of interesting suggestions with overwhelming support and that sadly will hardly ever get implemented because there is not enough manpower to dedicate to things to far outside their scope.

This would require a complete overhaul of the combat system which at this point in development would never happen, and like pretty much everybody that posted here, I don't want this either.

In warband you can block a lance with your fists if you're good enough at the game. This is a good thing, it allows for basically superhuman plays if you can block well enough. But the more arbitrary limitations you add, the more you're limiting player expression and turning everything into a fight against the mechanics rather than between two players.

I also feel like some people are arguing for a stamina system because they feel like the character does stuff that wouldn't be possible in real life. If anyone believes that, lay off the burgers immediately because you are hopelessly out of shape. Swinging a sword is barely more strenuous than swinging your arms.
sword stamina sounds dumb, though it is realistic. Swords are light, but physical strain, even fighting unarmed, tires you fast. Unfortunately for you your burgers little joke won't work for me, I'm a BJJ national champ in brazil (was), and was part of the pre-olympic judo team there, and other "blablabla I'm so badass" stuff, point being, I probably know more about bio-mechanics than you do, but fk it.
Stamina for swinging swords in a video-game does sound dumb, but stamina to reflect being overwhelmed by continuous attacks sounds decent. It's a matter of balancing it out, not quite about "killing creative plays between players", otherwise it'd be easier to send them to practice HEMA, or play a blank-page game. Rules are what make a game a game, but I won't bore you with Game Design theory, it bores even me who accepts it as it is.

Now, a creative stamina for blocking + sprinting (and I think sprinting button is a must, otherwise athletics make you run way too fast for way too long at higher levels on SP), while deepening the block stun table by creating null - light - moderate - high - "countered" depending on how well the block went forcing the attacking toon to create a opening would work really well, although I am not sure the game's engine can deal with that to be honest.

A lot of people are focusing on the the presented solution (stamina) instead of looking at the problem themselves and try to present a better argument/solution to fix this.
Ever felt hilarious when you see a looter/peasant able to block a great axe from max speed horse charge with their one rusty handed weapon? Or, you see their rusty one handed weapon able to block multiple bashes at once with ease.
To fix this problem you don't need to mess with stamina imo, you could instead fix crush trough and apply it in this situations (when it makes sense to apply it, of course).

My favourite thing about Mount and Blade is that combat's within your control. Skill allowing, a player can fight 6 players simulatenously and win, mainly because you can block multiple attacks in a second.

If you add stamina, the outnumbered player is being limited by their stamina pool. If they're fighting two people, they're fighting two stamina pools with one, as well as two health pools with one.

It feels like an extra punishment for being outnumbered, which isn't really necessary considering how difficult multi-person fighting already is.

A perk that effects weapon proficiency could achieve the same goal, without limiting the amount of attacks/blocks someone could make.

But honestly, I really don't want to see anymore soft skill caps than there already are compared to Warband...
This guy gets it. Stamina for attacking & blocking introduce arbitrary caps on the pure player skill elements of the game, which is antithetical to the spirit of the game's combat since the original in 2005.

Unless you add another layer of defense that doesn't require stamina like parrying or an effective advancing guard/push guard thing, but you might as well turn the game into Guilty Gear or Soul Calibur at that point

Which would be better since bannerlord sucks

I can appreciate people wanting a grounded representation, but peasants also can’t “dive” out of the way of a charging horse. You gotta give them something.

100% realism is impossible, but as long as it’s a ground, history adjacent environment, I’m good

Can you block 2h attacks for 10 mins without getti g tired?
Can you swing a two handed weapon for 10 min w/o getting tired??

If they add stamina for block, they will need to add stamina for attack, and this will F**k the game.

No, ty.

Can you swing a two handed weapon for 10 min w/o getting tired??

If they add stamina for block, they will need to add stamina for attack, and this will F**k the game.

No, ty.
if they add stamina for block, they can take the back the effect of abilities and items that grant additional attack speed, when stamina is empty. More than nothing, and less than attack stamina.

Mordhau exists by the way.

Stamina would not improve the game in any way. Also properly made swords (even longswords) are light and well balanced. The average weight of a longsword is 1.5KG (Which I am sure most people can lift :wink: ) with most of that weight down by your hands, it's not like you're swinging a tree.

Back
Top Bottom