SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Imperial Legionaries too good?

Users who are viewing this thread

I could be in a minority, but I feel like part of the reason why Sturgia doesn't feel so great to play is because their main strength, heavy melee infantry, can only go 50-50 with the heavy infantry of the Empire factions. The fact that the Empire also have amazing cavalry and better options everywhere just makes it worse.

In terms of lore, it doesn't make sense either. The current army of the empire is not meant to be as formidable as the legion back in the Battle of Pendraic- the remnants of those guys can be found in the Legion of the Betrayed. If anything, the whole flavour of the empire is also supposed to suggest a well armoured combined arms approach to make up for a lack of individual might. But again, right now they're just really damn strong everywhere.

If I were to tone Legionaries down, I'd lower their combat stats. Make them slower, worse at one handed and throwing (I'd try to at least give them the ability to throw their spears as well). It would make them feel a lot more like what they should be- a hard, heavy all rounder anvil to pulverize your enemies upon. Possibly the best anvil. But they will not be doing the pulverising themselves. Without help from cataphracts or archers, they can be overcome by another infantry force.

If you want the glorious legionary of old, seek out the Triaii instead.

Through this, Sturgian infantry can truly stand out and feel like the infantry juggernaut they should be. Heavily armoured, well shielded, fast, versatile and absolutely deadly. The go to faction for pure melee infantry.

And that's not all, by making legionaries weaker, you let the infantry of factions start to shine.

Battanian infantry can be like Sturgians but less durable. They have infantry for every job and they do those jobs well, just not as well as their Sturgian counterparts. Although they have the best archers, they don't have enough and their cavalry aren't enough, so their infantry better be good.

Vlandians can be well armoured, anti cavalry, but a little slow and less versatile than everyone else. They do best as a defensive line and anvil for their crossbows and knights. They too might be a little too good- they feel like the empire if anything.

Aserai should be like Battanians, albeit not quite as skillful- not to mention being a chore to train. Spear infantry do double duty of Oathsworn and Wildling, but doesn't do either job as well. Mameluke Palace guard combine Oathsworn tankiness and Falxmen killing power, but lack speed and throwing weaponry of falxmen.

Meanwhile Khuzaits get to be perfectly strong on foot, if somewhat overshadowed by their cavalry. Darkhans are no joke, but horse archer stronk.

Sleep deprived rambling over.

imo problem for the Sturgians seems more losing to Khuzait, Vlandians and Battanians than facing imperial legionaires. Overall they might do with some anti cavalry concept.

Otherwise legionaires are top tier troops so not sure if they need to be gimped when they usually do not appear in vast numbers. Maybe more expensive for the player as the only one hoarding them...

imo problem for the Sturgians seems more losing to Khuzait, Vlandians and Battanians than facing imperial legionaires. Overall they might do with some anti cavalry concept.

Otherwise legionaires are top tier troops so not sure if they need to be gimped when they usually do not appear in vast numbers. Maybe more expensive for the player as the only one hoarding them...
I mean Sturgians post update are stronger now at least, yet still they've got geography issues, and their infantry don't quite shine as well as they should. Spear infantry in general aren't very good at their job right now, but shock troopers seem to do quite good.

Legionaries are top tier, but I'm making the comparison against other top tier infantry. With how strong they are, other factions don't shine so well. I think they should still keep their place as the best armoured of the top of the line infantry, but reduce their stats. With how the game is atm, everything seems to match the price of other units in a given tier, so I dunno if TW intends to change that.

Also an alternative- maybe buff other infantry. Melee infantry are the weakest unit in the game, maybe keep legionary as the standard and let everyone else show them up in their own unique ways.

That or an improvement to spear infantry, since they don't really work well right now. Its quite possible that the lack of good long spears on Legionaries could be their weakness.

Back
Top Bottom