Imperator: Rome (New Paradox game)

Users who are viewing this thread

I've put a lot of hours into the epigoni mod (which I believe I've spelled correctly) which adds flavor and tons of tribes and kingdoms that should have been in the vanilla game. The Republic into Empire system they had was good fun, and so was the way troops became loyal to a general over time. It made you decide between using your good, popular but untrustworthy general and your ****ty cronies.

As Macedon I had conquered the Illyrian tribes and recruited these two great generals who were brothers from them. Over time they held control over my major armies and the troops became loyal to them. Eventually one brother led a civil war with half of my army while the other one stayed loyal, creating a CK2ish situation that ended with my men destroying the rebels.

EU Rome was fun.

I know it sounds strange but yes. Kingdom of Iberia Caucasian Albania
What got me riled up when the thread was made was the 450 B.C. starting date that didn't match the political map but then it got cleared to 450 A.U.C. and from what I can tell it seems rather accurate, except maybe the Roman army model that looks late republican or early Imperial. I wonder if the empty spaces are a work in progress, meant to be empty or future DLC.

I'd think the Romans would be using armor similar to their neighbors as seen in the video instead of the lorica hamata, since this evidently takes place in 300 BC and forward. It's probably just a placeholder though.

As for the map, I can see why they'd leave areas like Arabia or North Africa mostly empty, but again it might be something they're still working on, for instance the Germanic tribes have no province connection to the rest of Europe in that map. If I had to hazard a guess some areas of the map might get "unlocked" as the game progresses and they become historically relevant, the rest of Iberia and Dacia for example.

Comrade Temuzu said:
As for the map, I can see why they'd leave areas like Arabia or North Africa mostly empty, but again it might be something they're still working on, for instance the Germanic tribes have no province connection to the rest of Europe in that map.
He said early on in the video that they had already changed Germany and the map hadn't been updated for those changes yet, so yeah, they are certainly still expanding it. Subject to change and all that.

I'm just saying, if this game takes inspiration from any mechanics from EU IV it will be a failure. I'm glad they dropped the EU title, it didn't really fit the first game either besides the fact the game had a stability mechanic.

Yet the game came out in 2008 so that isn't relevant Joe. Thanks though.

Well the first dev diary is out. It isn't very meaty info-wise but it does give us a rough picture of what they want to achieve with this game and a nice screenshot of Iberia.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-1-28th-of-may-2018.1101600/

It's interesting how the map looks like HoI IV, but from what I've seen the political map/ number of tribes has vastly improved since the original. More than half the map was filled with nothing in EU Rome, vast swathes of colonization was needed to take it over.

The colonisation thing doesn't really make much sense for that period anyway. I like that the "provinces" are more focussed on individual cities rather than massive 200km wide regions, meaning something like the colony of Massilia or Emporion can be depicted in a less goofy manner.

What was colonization like in the original? Something like EU I'd guess?

And yeah, I'm especially interested in that road building thing. I never liked how investing in your provinces barely affected the campaign map, now we might see some interesting strategic options with crossroads and such.

Colonization in the original was basically EU standard. Barbarians could invade your territory if you disrupted them, but it's still a really dumb system.

I also hope they give some proper benefits to buildings that aren't just "+10 trade power" or "-1 unrest". Everything in EU4 is lame and flaccid, and the entire game is just endless busywork with no seriously important choices to be made. Why wouldn't you core a region? What's even the point of that feature? Why would you ever deviate from the optimal 20 infantry 20 cannons army build? Why? Why? Why?

literally unplayable

Kentucky James said:
I also hope they give some proper benefits to buildings that aren't just "+10 trade power" or "-1 unrest". Everything in EU4 is lame and flaccid, and the entire game is just endless busywork with no seriously important choices to be made. Why wouldn't you core a region? What's even the point of that feature? Why would you ever deviate from the optimal 20 infantry 20 cannons army build? Why? Why? Why?

literally unplayable
I agree 100%. I just can't play EU4 for more than 2 hours at a time, and then I have to uninstall it for an entire year or something.

At least in EU3 with Magna Mundi mod I had hundreds of hours played multiplayer with the old Einherjar gang. It always felt more balanced, immersive and less grindy. I could never achieve the same in EU4.

So now we all understand the obsession with keeping the EU(IV) out of Imperator Rome (EU Rome II). The colonization in EU Rome was **** ****. That's all you need to really know. Each province would have a number of Barbarians in it and you had to kill them to colonize. However they never really finished the game so it doesn't really tell you what you need in order to colonize, though it will let you know when you can. It was ****.

Back
Top Bottom