Immersion within the walls of your own town/castle

Users who are viewing this thread

I entered the keep in my castle and I was all alone. None of my companions were there either. It's true what they say, it's lonely at the top.

most people in the middle ages had heard of the person they fought for but nothing more than that. they just followed theorders of the person above them in the chain of command, the people they actually knew personally.
today we have tv and the internet and photo's in newspapers (yes some people still read those) so people know who their leaders are but without those things people would still not know how their king/president looked like
I agree with you if you would live across the map from me, but if I am the owner of your town (and your a.s ass a consequence), wouldn't you know who actually owns said a.s??:wink:

I agree with you, but a feature that would be truly amazing when owning a town to me would be after let's say a battle with a big lord or noble of the enemy faction, you come in town on horseback with your army followed by the nobles you captures. Maybe even add a guillotine and execute the noble in front of your people.

Yeah, a sort of triumph would be really great! It could even have choices like giving out loot to the population or giving them time of to celebrate to improve your standing with them

I also think it would be grat if people of your towns would come to you with petitions. these could be simple cases of passing judgement or fully fledged quests

I remember in this game morrowind they had some great immersive features, unlike other less advanced games in that series like skyrim.

In morrowind the player is greeted by people in the world differently depending on how the player is seen by that npc. Like early game everyone calls you "outlander", then maybe some people treat you better later, while ordinators say "I'm watching you.........scum"

Anyway I'm sure TW will implement a lot of immersive stuff, we just have to wait. Maybe we'll even get potential companions approaching the player at different times, like you could get a fan after winning a tournament for instance.

I entered the keep in my castle and I was all alone. None of my companions were there either. It's true what they say, it's lonely at the top.

ABOUT CASTLES:

Troops you have garrisoned should show up in the scene in proportion to how many you have. So, as an example, 20 troops in scene.. 20 peasants, 10 crossbowman, 10 knights garrisoned = 5 crossbowmen on walls and towers, 5 knights posted guard at gates and barracks etc, 10 peasants milling around.

Also, if i construct training grounds, there should be a trainer at my castle. If i visit, I can see them training troops and if I choose I can train here myself. If I make a garden, how bout a little garden patch. Little things like this give player a sense of ownership and connection that would be lacking otherwise.

Little one liners of dialogue too. If loyalty is low, troops may complain, if it is maxed they may praise me. NPCs should also be aware what Nobels are visiting the castle and if who is in the dungeon. Gossip / rumors "I've heard sir whats his face is rotting in the dungeon, serves him right." How you doing? (low loyalty) "All I do is stand here all day, no better the food is rotten" etc. Talking to guards outside keep or inside hall, all they need to say is "Welcome home sire / mi lady." Latest news "We're working to complete the granary. We have plenty of food. Our garrison is strong and ready to withstand siege." I want NPCs to check the condition of the castle and tell me about it.

Dialogue options:
Tell me your feelings
Gossip/ Rumors
The castle - latest news

Thats all that needed for immersion in castles, more would take from other areas that are more lacking.

Last edited:
ABOUT CASTLES:

Troops you have garrisoned should show up in the scene in proportion to how many you have. So, as an example, 20 troops in scene.. 20 peasants, 10 crossbowman, 10 knights garrisoned = 5 crossbowmen on walls and towers, 5 knights posted guard at gates and barracks etc, 10 peasants milling around.

Also, if i construct training grounds, there should be a trainer at my castle. If i visit I see them training troops and if I choose I can train myself. If I make a garden, how bout a little garden patch. Little things like this give player a sense of ownership and connection that would be lacking otherwise.

Little one liners of dialogue too. If loyalty is low, troops may complain, if it is maxed they may praise me. NPCs should also be aware what Nobels are visiting the castle and if who is in the dungeon. Gossip / rumors "I've heard sir whats his face is rotting in the dungeon, serves him right." How you doing? (low loyalty) "All I do is stand here all day, no better the food is rotten" etc. Talking to guards outside keep or inside hall, all they need to say is "Welcome home sire / mi lady." Latest news "We're working to complete the granary. We have plenty of food. Our garrison is strong and ready to withstand siege." I want NPCs to check the condition of the castle and tell me about it.

Dialogue options:
Tell me your feelings
Gossip/ Rumors
The castle - latest news

Thats all that needed for immersion in castles, more would take from other areas that are more lacking.
+1
All you said is very reasonable! I hope the devs think about that and implement it.

I wouldnt mind having to wear non armour cloths in towns if they actually gave us some nice cloths to wear? not the peasant crap we curretly have - Im a KING for christ sake! :razz:

MORE ABOUT CASTLES:

NPCs with context and awareness:

If I speak to the trainer at my castle, they should be able to tell me the status of my garrison. If the vast majority are recruits and they are few. The trainer might say, "I've got my work cut out for me. These are just boys but given time I'll train men!" A sizable garrison of trained troops should receive a a fitting response. "Our garrison is fit for battle," etc.

Upgrade jails:
Prisoners escape very easily, this has been stated elsewhere. Prisoners escape very easily and without notification (see bounties for related ideas). Prisons should upgrade to a second and third tier, increasing security and capacity. Guards should be aware of the upgrade level of the jail and have dialogue to reflect that. Guards should also know what notable prisoners are in jail, who captured them and where and context (siege, while raiding, in the field), and have dialogue to reflect that also.

Bounties:
I'd also like to have a board or an NPC in front of jail with bounties or issues that need to be resolved. Doing so would raise relations with notables in corresponding fief. Accepting a bounty would give player a quest to track down a specific looter, raider or clear an active hideout. This could also be to track down a fugitive, recently escaped prisoners might be found hiding in nearby fiefs. Checking quest page would give last known location of bounty. Completing the quest would give gold, relation bonus with notables and scouting exp as player must use tracking. Quest variants could be to return villagers or militia captured by raiders to one of the attached fiefs.

Local patrols:
Owners of castles should be able to hire patrols. The patrol would be recruited from the pool of militia at castle. Payment should be upfront to "outfit" them, daily wage to maintain and a bonus for every captured unit delivered to jail. Length of patrol would be no more than one season (ie. from 17th - 17th of following season). Surviving patrols at the end of their deployment would return to garrison as veteran militia, upgraded from original militia troop.

Last edited:
Why would I wear armor in my own town? Armor is heavy. It's MY town, I should get to relax and rest easy. :p

I wouldnt mind having to wear non armour cloths in towns if they actually gave us some nice cloths to wear? not the peasant crap we curretly have - Im a KING for christ sake! :razz:

Imperial robes look great. Everything else looks like peasant nonsense. I am not sure why there aren't very many nice clothes for nobility, there should be more.

MORE ABOUT CASTLES:

NPCs with context and awareness:

If I speak to the trainer at my castle, they should be able to tell me the status of my garrison. If the vast majority are recruits and they are few. The trainer might say, "I've got my work cut out for me. These are just boys but given time I'll train men!" A sizable garrison of trained troops should receive a a fitting response. "Our garrison is fit for battle," etc.

Upgrade jails:
Prisoners escape very easily, this has been stated elsewhere. Prisoners escape very easily and without notification (see bounties for related ideas). Prisons should upgrade to a second and third tier, increasing security and capacity. Guards should be aware of the upgrade level of the jail and have dialogue to reflect that. Guards should also know what notable prisoners are in jail, who captured them and where and context (siege, while raiding, in the field), and have dialogue to reflect that also.

Bounties:
I'd also like to have a board or an NPC in front of jail with bounties or issues that need to be resolved. Doing so would raise relations with notables in corresponding fief. Accepting a bounty would give player a quest to track down a specific looter, raider or clear an active hideout. This could also be to track down a fugitive, recently escaped prisoners might be found hiding in nearby fiefs. Checking quest page would give last known location of bounty. Completing the quest would give gold, relation bonus with notables and scouting exp as player must use tracking. Quest variants could be to return villagers or militia captured by raiders to one of the attached fiefs.

Local patrols:
Owners of castles should be able to hire patrols. The patrol would be recruited from the pool of militia at castle. Payment should be upfront to "outfit" them, daily wage to maintain and a bonus for every captured unit delivered to jail. Length of patrol would be no more than one season (ie. from 17th - 17th of following season). Surviving patrols at the end of their deployment would return to garrison as veteran militia, upgraded from original militia troop.

I think with your ideas you should work closely with Taleworlds, because this sounds pretty good and creative :smile:
Patrols returning as Veteran Militia would be nice but the problem with the starving cities and garrisons would've to be adressed beforehand obviously :grin:

Back
Top Bottom