Immersion within the walls of your own town/castle

Users who are viewing this thread

sharpenme

Recruit
Just three thoughts on how immersion could be improved when entering a village, castle or city that is under the player's command:

1. Let the player keep wearing armour instead of civilian clothes - I understand being forced to put on civilian clothes when walking around in places that belong to other factions or lords. But in my own town?

2. When walking around in your own town or castle it would be nice to be accompanied by a bunch of city/royal guards (protective and representative reasons). They could either be chosen from the city's/castle's garrison or the players army.

3.Quest givers should be aware of the player's role as commander of the city/village and talk to the player accordingly. Also, the player should be able to put a stop to criminal activities regarding quests such as "fencing stolen goods" or "rival gang moving in at XY" and punish the offenders accordingly, maybe also with the help of the guards accompanying the player.

In my opinion such changes would really make you feel like "being in charge" :smile:

Cheers!

Those are great ideas! I feel the same when in command of my own kingdom and the city where I live in the random npc "the snake" asks me to sneak some goods breaking (my own?) law. I feel that this need to be implemented in the game: city policies and more management.

Just three thoughts on how immersion could be improved when entering a village, castle or city that is under the player's command:

1. Let the player keep wearing armour instead of civilian clothes - I understand being forced to put on civilian clothes when walking around in places that belong to other factions or lords. But in my own town?

2. When walking around in your own town or castle it would be nice to be accompanied by a bunch of city/royal guards (protective and representative reasons). They could either be chosen from the city's/castle's garrison or the players army.

3.Quest givers should be aware of the player's role as commander of the city/village and talk to the player accordingly. Also, the player should be able to put a stop to criminal activities regarding quests such as "fencing stolen goods" or "rival gang moving in at XY" and punish the offenders accordingly, maybe also with the help of the guards accompanying the player.

In my opinion such changes would really make you feel like "being in charge" :smile:

Cheers!
im in favor of point 2 and especially point 3
point one i am less sure about, i mean if there is any place you should feel save enough to walk around in civilian clothing than it is your own city, makes no sense to walk around in different cities with civilian clothes but walk around in armor in my own city (unless it is under siege at that moment)

+1

How about training your children or something as well, if wars are based on seasonal fighting like they should be this would all occupy the time between.

im in favor of point 2 and especially point 3
point one i am less sure about, i mean if there is any place you should feel save enough to walk around in civilian clothing than it is your own city, makes no sense to walk around in different cities with civilian clothes but walk around in armor in my own city (unless it is under siege at that moment)

I know what you mean, had the same thoughts myself - walking around in your own city is generally considered safer than walking around anywhere else (at least if the city's population is satisfied with your style of governing). Maybe it's just my feeling that the choice of civilian clothing that is appropriate for the owner of a castle /city / a lord is super limited right now, so I'd rather walk around in my "shiny armour" for the sake of displaying my status.

Taking this a step further, I would also argue that clothing as well as armour played a huge role in medieval society when it came to setting yourself apart from other people, especially people of lower status. So, immersion-wise, wouldn't it be nice if the clothing/armour you bought with your hard earned (or stolen) money would not only change the way people talk to you, but also your ability of persuading/intimidating lords, quest givers and bandits?

All really good points, especially the lack of maintaining law in your own city lol. Like you want me to smuggle goods out of my own city? I'll just tell the guard its cool don't worry about it bro

Right now, being a vassal or owning a fief is quite useless imo. One of my characters is a king, the other a vassal and in both playthroughs, all I do is manage towns and exchange diplomacies with other factions (bare-minimum declare peace and build-up relations).

I also simply hate to talk to an NPC and he/she doesn't know who the **** I am, like... You're in my kingdom/town/castle and you don't know who am. All that grind to grow your clan, gain renown, influence and reputation, to simply be called a stranger by a peasant in your own city/castle. oof

Not to mention that people should kind of know who I am instead of treating me like somebody they never heard of:smile:)
But I must say, some scenes, really make you feel you are there.

Not to mention that people should kind of know who I am instead of treating me like somebody they never heard of:smile:)
But I must say, some scenes, really make you feel you are there.
most people in the middle ages had heard of the person they fought for but nothing more than that. they just followed theorders of the person above them in the chain of command, the people they actually knew personally.
today we have tv and the internet and photo's in newspapers (yes some people still read those) so people know who their leaders are but without those things people would still not know how their king/president looked like

Right now, being a vassal or owning a fief is quite useless imo. One of my characters is a king, the other a vassal and in both playthroughs, all I do is manage towns and exchange diplomacies with other factions (bare-minimum declare peace and build-up relations).

I also simply hate to talk to an NPC and he/she doesn't know who the **** I am, like... You're in my kingdom/town/castle and you don't know who am. All that grind to grow your clan, gain renown, influence and reputation, to simply be called a stranger by a peasant in your own city/castle. oof

That's basically it. In the end it all comes down to the overall lack of immersion in non-battle situations, imo. Battles feel really nice already (for me, they always did, even back in 2008 ), while on the other hand I usually do not get too excited about "taking a walk around the town centre".
Of course Talewords did improve on certain things, but cities, villages and castles still feel kinda shallow. But they still got time for further improvement, so let's see.

most people in the middle ages had heard of the person they fought for but nothing more than that. they just followed theorders of the person above them in the chain of command, the people they actually knew personally.
today we have tv and the internet and photo's in newspapers (yes some people still read those) so people know who their leaders are but without those things people would still not know how their king/president looked like
Um... the king typically had his face on all the money. People had a pretty good idea who he was.

Um... the king typically had his face on all the money. People had a pretty good idea who he was.
lol its not as if those are really clear immages, sure there are a few kings which are hard to miss once you have seen them but most of those are not very clear
King henry the 6th of enland and the coin that goes with it (immages are from wikipedia)
532px-HenryVIofEngland.JPG
King_Henry_VI_groat_Calais_mint.jpg

I know what you mean, had the same thoughts myself - walking around in your own city is generally considered safer than walking around anywhere else
Would be cool if a choice of whether to walk around in your toga or your uniform, depending on what image you wanna portray towards your populous. It could give you bonuses (like security or loyalty or whatever), or character traits.

Taking this a step further, I would also argue that clothing as well as armour played a huge role in medieval society when it came to setting yourself apart from other people, especially people of lower status.
I was thinking this too, totally agree.

And yet they would notice when talking to somebody they'd better not piss off, even if they hadn't heard of said person before. Medieval society was a highly hierachical one. There was not so much of a need in talking to a person or knowing about a person in order to judge whether they were of lower, higher or much higher status/rank than yourself. You would know simply by looking at them: style of clothing/armour, colours, materials, symbols of power, number of accompanying people, the food they eat, their smell - you name it.

And I just think that it would be really cool if this was somehow reflected in the game.

And yet they would notice when talking to somebody they'd better not piss off, even if they hadn't heard of said person before. Medieval society was a highly hierachical one. There was not so much of a need in talking to a person or knowing about a person in order to judge whether they were of lower, higher or much higher status/rank than yourself. You would know simply by looking at them: style of clothing/armour, colours, materials, symbols of power, number of accompanying people, the food they eat, their smell - you name it.

And I just think that it would be really cool if this was somehow reflected in the game.

How you played Kingdom Come? Thats a huge part of the game -heck theyll frown on you if you show up muddy from the woods.

As far as Towns Knowing their Lords -pretty sure word would spread quickly if Royalty was blessing those disgusting peasant straw sellers and swine butchers. People would bless, ask for help and help and if single would definitely be attractive to poor comely buxoms.

Back
Top Bottom