Immersifying Renown and Clan tiers

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
The game calling it "clan tiers" and gaining additional 25 party limit for every new clan tier is very unimmersive and a major turn off for me. It is almost a certainty that the system will not be completely overhauled at this point due to it being a core mechanic. So here are some suggestions for making renown and clan tiers better:

1) Renaming Clan tiers to something meaningful; instead of writing tier 0 clan, change it with "Obscure", instead of tier 1 clan, change it to something like "local celebrity", name the highest tier clans "living legends", etc.. I honestly couldn't think of many adjectives that correlate to increasing levels of renown/fame, so my particular suggestions may be ****.

2) Gaining party size increases with renown instead of clan tiers; make it same as Warband where you got +1 to party size per 25 renown instead of gaining +25 party every new clan tier with increasing renown requirements. This makes the game progression so much smoother and makes the game less arcade-y and overall more immersive.

3) Reworking the clan tier threshold requirements to make the game less grindy; I did some edits to the clan tier formula for smoothening the curve and decreasing the grind. Here is the screenshot of my proposal:

I did 3 main things to improve the renown formula: Increased the maximum clan tier to 7, capped the maximum renown (that we get bonuses to party size) at 4375 (to make the average renown/+1 party size value 25 at max renown instead of 41), and finally, I decelerated the % increase in necessary renown to reach new clan tiers. As you can guess, with a 7th clan tier, you would get 175 max party size increase instead of 150, and it would be possible to get one more workshop and companion at the highest clan tier possible than currently possible. We would require the same renown for reaching tiers 1&2, require 50 more renown to reach clan tier 3, but overall less renown for reaching tiers 4-7. I decided to not change Tier 1 & 2 clan requirements since I assumed that's how the devs gauged the longevity of the "early game" and planned accordingly. I tend to create new characters and play around tier 4ish. With my new formula, I would probably reach clan tier 5 on my average playthrough. Adopting this formula would especially make it a much smoother experience for players if TW adds the option of choosing your game stage at character creation (default T0 start, trader start, criminal start, mercenary start, vassal start or ruler start), which they absolutely should be thinking of adding if they plan to call this game "sandbox".

Last edited:
Maybe something like -
  • Rabble
  • Common
  • Distinguished
  • Eminent
  • Revered
  • Elite
  • Royal
It could be more dynamic if clans also had more specific reputations, like being trusted for their overall more honorable behaviors or feared for their brutality might give different pros and cons. Would make it a bit more interesting if recruiting nobles to your clan had an impact on that depending on their traits like merciful and cruel and so on.

Yeah these clan tier naming suggestions are much better than mine. As for the rest, the reputation system already """exists""" through traits unless you also mean having epithets like Ivan the Terrible, Selim the Grim, etc. based on the traits. I agree that traits should decide more, especially the clan leader's voting preferences (and clan leaders actually starting votes based on traits and relationships with other clans) and defection chances. Right now I think they only decide likeliness of raiding villages and whether lords will pillage or devastate towns after capturing + percentages on the chat checks.

Last edited:
Maybe something like -
  • Rabble
  • Common
  • Distinguished
  • Eminent
  • Revered
  • Elite
  • Royal
It could be more dynamic if clans also had more specific reputations, like being trusted for their overall more honorable behaviors or feared for their brutality might give different pros and cons. Would make it a bit more interesting if recruiting nobles to your clan had an impact on that depending on their traits like merciful and cruel and so on.
I think it should be different deppending on how one chose to play. Some are evil others are good, some maybe are cowards and others brave.

Getting renown in later tiers i found too easy.

Back
Top Bottom