I'm genuinely curious.... why is it so difficult to get troops going up ladders and siege towers correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I mean I know it depends on the structure of the castle and the walls.... but come on.... surely it can't be that hard?

or ...... do you think they are just waiting until the game is fully 'scened' and all of the castles are 'in-game' before they finally go and fix it?

Last edited:
Something about closeness of formations to ladders, modders can say.
Why is anything allowed to fester so long? I bet it's one of those "oh we can't fix A because someone else most do B first, and they can't because C isn't in place yet..." - it's a tangle of excuses and dependencies that a decisive manager would untangle and expedite, but there's no one there to do this.

If they cared about delivering a good gameplay experience at the very minimum they would have switched all ladders/siege towers to ramps until they could fix the damn code making them not work properly for over a year now, that or just focusing on this very important part that represents something like 1/3 of the mid-late game.

If they cared about delivering a good gameplay experience at the very minimum they would have switched all ladders/siege towers to ramps until they could fix the damn code making them not work properly for over a year now, that or just focusing on this very important part that represents something like 1/3 of the mid-late game.
I'm sure the TW response would be something like we don't want to waste development time doing that, we'll have a fix "soon" TM.

I'm sure the TW response would be something like we don't want to waste development time doing that, we'll have a fix "soon" TM.
And i would believe that 2-3 months after release, more than a year later and nothing, zero work done to improve this that completely breaks many sieges?

We in RBM team assume they have some sort of inner roadmap and that they have actual plan to do siege overhaul so they are not "wasting" time on siege before that. Obviously if they would care about their game and reputation they would do at least bare minimum like assigning the formations to correct or at least some positions (on some maps there are formation that are literally not assigned to defensive position and instead just stant next to the wall). Just today we released AI update and we concluded that siege AI and general enjoyment could be literally improved by 1 person that would add or move broken infantry positions in the editor (modders have no access ATM), you literally dont have to be coder to do this just be enthusiast that knows roughly how AI works.

And i would believe that 2-3 months after release, more than a year later and nothing, zero work done to improve this that completely breaks many sieges?
it's pretty upsetting they can't at least give us a stopgap for the issue considering the game is supposed to largely be about these broken sieges

It seems that pathfinding in massive battles with numerous entities is one of the most difficult coding tasks. No one can do smooth pathfinding.

Look at Total War games - pathfinding there is the main reason for crappy performance and bugs ESPECIALLY in sieges, when hundreds of models move through narrow passages. Their famous siege stuttering bug dates back to Medieval II, and no modern PC can still run Rome 2/Attila full stack sieges without hellish stutters/lagging, and that is after 8 years from the release.

And TW were always bad at coding AI behaviour in constraint spaces. remember Warband and its single-ladder assaults of doom?

It seems that pathfinding in massive battles with numerous entities is one of the most difficult coding tasks. No one can do smooth pathfinding.

This is true but the industry should be far, far further ahead then they are now. You can match AI pathfinding (in 3d terrain) from games from the early 2000's and they are on par with what we have now. Its like the trajectory just utterly dead stopped in mid air and dropped. I blame MP gaming as it took the pressure of the companies to keep improving their AI. Why spend massive brain power (and money) developing advanced AI to navigate difficult terrain when you can just have humans running around -thereby you dont have to worry about level design being prohibitive to AI getting around.

Had the trajectory continued -we'd be seeing an AI that could navigate to within 1cm of where they want to be in cover and being able to scale steep mountainous terrain, trees, interior of skyscrapers etc.. by now without a problem.

Honerstly if they're saving it for an overhaul update then I get it. I stopped playing because sieges (my favorite form of battle) has been broken for a year. Can't exactly have successful campaigns if the AI is spazzing out.

I mean I know it depends on the structure of the castle and the walls.... but come on.... surely it can't be that hard?

or ...... do you think they are just waiting until the game is fully 'scened' and all of the castles are 'in-game' before they finally go and fix it?
The A.I. is almost as capable as Gunners Mate First Class Phillip Arsewhole.

Every time I have 200 guys trying to squeeze up one ladder while the two other ladders are completely empty, I think of these guys, and then I give the order to "keep climbing arsewholes".

Wasn't it that the AI performance in Bannerlord sieges depends solely on the map scenes and that the pathing and behavior is assigned when making the map itself?
If that is the case, then the poor performance of the AI in sieges could be chalked up to the fact that they took the scene and map makers and pushed tthem to do village and region-dependent battle map scenes, instead of improving sieges.

If that is the case, then the poor performance of the AI in sieges could be chalked up to the fact that they took the scene and map makers and pushed tthem to do village and region-dependent battle map scenes, instead of improving sieges.
Definitely the lack of manpower is to blame. Since they are just a small family indie studio with a couple of active developers... wait, oh SHI--

Definitely the lack of manpower is to blame. Since they are just a small family indie studio with a couple of active developers... wait, oh SHI--
Seems like there is only a skeleton crew left for Bannerlord and the rest is already working on their new game.

I can´t explain this slow progress otherwise.

Would also be nice if TW could at least say something about the new update (will it be small as always or will it have something big), but I know this won´t happen.

Seems like there is only a skeleton crew left for Bannerlord and the rest is already working on their new game.
Yup, saw a "career opportunity" note on their website. Unannounced project {sigh}...

Would also be nice if TW could at least say something about the new update (will it be small as always or will it have something big), but I know this won´t happen.
Why? Are you already sated with the delicious new bugs of 1.5.9?

Back
Top Bottom