Ignoring Topics

Users who are viewing this thread

Almalexia

Her Flamboyance, the Calipha
Duke
So... question: what does this actually do? It doesn't remove the topic from view, nor does it prevent notifications of new posts from appearing. Is there supposed to be a purpose and something broke, or am I missing (or ignoring?  :razz:) something here? Might make some suggestions on that front depending, because I'm kind of a compulsive forum completionist, but also, some of these discussions are complete garbo so I'd rather not read them. Maybe we can make something happen?

Ignored Topics will be added to that section in your profile:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?action=profile;area=ignoretopics

I'll just quote the description there:
When a topic is ignored, it won't show up in the Unread Posts and Unread Replies features.  However, ignored topics will still appear on the board index, along with a link to the last unread post.

Huh, alright, well thanks for the answer Janus. Well, I guess the first question I should ask is if this can be changed to be perhaps a bit more useful, and secondly if you have the time and willpower to potentially enact some changes to the system? No point going further without clearing that up, at least.  :razz:

Almalexia said:
Huh, alright, well thanks for the answer Janus. Well, I guess the first question I should ask is if this can be changed to be perhaps a bit more useful, and secondly if you have the time and willpower to potentially enact some changes to the system? No point going further without clearing that up, at least.  :razz:
I don't have any plans to add new functionality to the Ignore Topic feature, sorry. It was actually added in as a modded feature (not core SMF functionality) several years back for users who didn't want specific topics showing up in their Unread lists, which it accomplishes.

Is there an "Ignore Board" feature? And if not, would it be troublesome to develop one? Would be really useful for the unread posts option.

If your main view doesn't look like this, I don't know why you bother.

U7rcT.png

Talking about Ignore Boards, is it possible to give newly created boards the same status as their parent board automatically, at creation? Would be useful every time when for example a new sub-board in the Turkish section is set up. Then I wouldn't have to search through all the checkboxes to find the new, unticked one between all the boards I don't/can't read. x)

Paula said:
Talking about Ignore Boards, is it possible to give newly created boards the same status as their parent board automatically, at creation? Would be useful every time when for example a new sub-board in the Turkish section is set up. Then I wouldn't have to search through all the checkboxes to find the new, unticked one between all the boards I don't/can't read. x)
Unfortunately, not really feasible (in other words, a lot of modification needed for such small benefit).

Paula said:
What about someone's "ignore user" list? Any way to hide new topics by someone who's on your ignore list?
For "Show unread posts"? Seems sensible enough, if it's not already in place. I'll look into it when I have some spare time.

I finally had a chance to look into this, and I'm not sure it should be changed after all. The only thing that can be sensibly checked for that list is if the last post in the topic is by someone on your ignore list. On the surface, that seems fine, but what if there have been new posts by other people before that one which you wouldn't want to ignore? You can also see the user's name on the right as the latest post, so you can just actively choose to ignore that one if you're not bothered about possibly missing previous posts by other people.

I meant for a way to exclude the whole topic from the unread posts list if it was started by someone from the ignore list. because chances are that I don't care about whatever topic a person I'm ignoring wants to talk about. no big deal obviously, just thought it would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom