IG_Battlegrounds is up again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Atleast these guys are bringing the server back after MM's inevitable downfall. They are the ones that are keeping the ever dying warband competative scene alive from what I can see on the sidelines and all you guys want to do is whine like babies. Just enjoy and play.

I'm sure if you were that motivated to play MM one or two of you would take where Mynes left off or create something similar if you're looking to keep the competative scene from dying anyway. I mean I have to hand it to Mynes and Oli for bringing these things back even though me and most of the people I used to play with have gone and just poke around the forum for a laugh now and again.

Scar said:
Copying tournament match rules 1:1 is not going to work. You should look at the output rather than the input. You put in the same rules, yet IG plays out completely different than matches, simply because the numbers are different. You should put changes in place that make the output of IG more comparable to how matches play out, then you'll end up with a truely competitive server.

You could maybe take each map, cut it in three pieces with one of the flags in the center of each of those smaller maps, and then spawn groups of 8 players for each team on these smaller maps (one map would have 9 players on both sides when the server is full). You could even make it so that one team holds the flag, and the other one has to attack it, because that's generally how matches play out. The team that wins at least two of those small maps wins the round. Repeat until X round wins.

well as you know we dont try to match tourney rules. We try to keep teh experience as close as possible while allowing anyone to play. There are obvious problems , the server with 4 peopel is very different to 25 a side. map size cant be related to how poplated teh server is (or could it? I mean that would be great)

I am certainly up for trialling yours or Azan's ideas if someone wants to make teh server mod and ensure compatability with Oli's work. It would still have to be accepted by teh server administration board though.

Inquisitive_Shingen said:
Atleast these guys are bringing the server back after MM's inevitable downfall. They are the ones that are keeping the ever dying warband competative scene alive from what I can see on the sidelines and all you guys want to do is whine like babies. Just enjoy and play.

I'm sure if you were that motivated to play MM one or two of you would take where Mynes left off or create something similar if you're looking to keep the competative scene from dying anyway. I mean I have to hand it to Mynes and Oli for bringing these things back even though me and most of the people I used to play with have gone and just poke around the forum for a laugh now and again.
I'm certainly happy they brought the server back, and I think the people behind it like Oliveran and Aeronwen know that too. There are flaws with IG Battlegrounds though, and I don't see why we shouldn't discuss them when they even encourage you to do so like Aeronwen has herself in multiple posts.

But I guess this is what TaleWorlds is about these days.

Scar said:
Inquisitive_Shingen said:

I'm certainly happy they brought the server back, and I think the people behind it like Oliveran and Aeronwen know that too. There are flaws with IG Battlegrounds though, and I don't see why we shouldn't discuss them when they even encourage you to do so like Aeronwen has herself in multiple posts.

But I guess this is what TaleWorlds is about these days.

Well the server only lapsed for a few weeks because Jest didnt respond.

but ye it would be helpful to the scene if people were less negative.

Constructive ideas are always welcome but implementation isnt always as easy as it sounds.

Changes server side are fine but we will not require a mod to play on IG, that would distort what this server is for. 

I have some ideas for maps:

Maltese-Islands-Malta-Mdina3.jpg

natural_wonders_china01815.jpg

13_China%20Wall.jpg

OurGloriousLeader said:
Different spawn points closer to the flag areas is actually a great idea and neatly removes circling.

Does this remove circling though? I don't see why it should. When the group fighting server was up that saw circling even in very small arenas.

Lord Rich said:
OurGloriousLeader said:
Different spawn points closer to the flag areas is actually a great idea and neatly removes circling.

Does this remove circling though? I don't see why it should. When the group fighting server was up that saw circling even in very small arenas.
Because these maps were flat, had barely any obstacles and no archers or cavalry. As soon as all classes are kept within range of an archer, they are forced to take the fights, or they'll just die.

Scar said:

Because these maps were flat, had barely any obstacles and no archers or cavalry. As soon as all classes are kept within range of an archer, they are forced to take the fights, or they'll just die.

Sounds a bit grim that though, I thought ogl meant simply changing the spawn points to be close to the flags when they spawn (for instance making upper spawn on verloren in the tower for attacker spawn flag) but keep the maps the same.

Cav especially need space or cover to be able to operate, since otherwise the rangers will focus you down in seconds. If the situation is that the rangers in turn have no cover then the cav will be forced to just charge them every round which doesn't sound much fun for the rangers either.

EDIT: I should point out that I think with fast raise times on instant flags, moving the spawns to be closer is a very good idea and pretty easy to implement. Just need to set 3 entry points as spawn locations for each team rather than 1.

He was referring to this:
You could maybe take each map, cut it in three pieces with one of the flags in the center of each of those smaller maps, and then spawn groups of 8 players for each team on these smaller maps (one map would have 9 players on both sides when the server is full). You could even make it so that one team holds the flag, and the other one has to attack it, because that's generally how matches play out. The team that wins at least two of those small maps wins the round. Repeat until X round wins.

Yeah if you take Sandi as a simple example, what you would have is 3 sets of spawns for each side, one on either side of Graveyard, one on either side of Alley, and you could keep the standard spawn points for Middle. So on a full server you essentially have 3 8v8s in each match relevant area, teams couldn't really circle since they'd have to run through a currently happening fight (unless every single side retreats...which I wouldn't put past people...)

Would need to make sure each spawn point has enough cover so they're not spawning right into archer fire, and also I don't know how the game treats multiple spawn points, does it auto balanced or could you end up with 20 people spawning one side and 1 person the other? If so that would need fixed etc

Scar said:
He was referring to this:

Yes but that's pretty complicated as a modification since you're now talking about having multiple matches happening in parallel as well as all the heavy modifications needed for the maps. Cutting up the maps would also impact cavs ability to move as well as I said (for instance how do you cut up sandi?). Whereas simply changing the spawn locations based on the current flag is completely trivial and requires only tiny changes to each map (moving a couple of entry points).

@OGL, you can pick which entry point a player spawns at, for instance I always made players spawn at entry point 0 when they first enter the ludus server, so it would be easy to do.

Yeh sorry that was expressed poorly. I meant cutting up the maps into three smaller maps as in creating three "battlezones" that people stick to, or rather, are forced to stick to. That's why I wrote that players within range of archers are forced to take a fight there. Theoretically infantry could try to shield up and back off, but that takes so much time that their team loses in the meantime because they are outnumbered. Of course the spawns should be set up in a way that at archers from one of these battlezones don't have too much power over the other two zones right away.

Circle running was actually a fixed issue with the smaller second version of the Slum’s Rush map that was on the server earlier this year. People just met in the middle and fought each other. It wasn’t a tournament map (although I think it could work well as a tie-breaker) but since proper team positioning and strategic play is rarely ever practiced on the server, an IG-specific map that gets battles done earlier and with no circle running is probably the best you could ask for.

I’m enjoying IG right now, but I don’t like San’di’boush because the circle running is particularly bad on it usually, and I don’t like Winterburg because it’s a boring map, there are large building blocks that people run around, and the towers next to flags are a nightmare to push if multiple archers camp there.

jon01 said:
I’m enjoying IG right now, but I don’t like San’di’boush because the circle running is particularly bad on it usually, and I don’t like Winterburg because it’s a boring map, there are large building blocks that people run around, and the towers next to flags are a nightmare to push if multiple archers camp there.

Thanks - it is encouraging when ppl mention they are enjoying it.  Winterburg is there temporarily as some players don't get to practise it. We are happy to try new maps though.

Feel free to try out Lavender Fort as a replacement for Winterburg if you change the map pool.

http://forum.guardofistiniar.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=17845c485a18ad67e0e8979360ec977a&topic=10454.0

Well, what if the flag spawned immediately once the round starts? Or, let's say, 30 seconds after the round begins? You could somehow make it go up slower, which would ensure there is some time for the actual fight to happen. This would force the players to engage, no circling and still some space for tactics. IG would be more competitve, more like an actual match and still fun.

You could try it out. I am not an IT guy, but it can't be that hard to implement.

Back
Top Bottom