If you're a general/king how will you equip and organise your foot-soldiers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rallix said:
Leifr Eiríksson said:
A mash up of medieval and early twentieth century equipment for some real bastardisation of aesthetics.

1238479204852.jpg
1tpq.jpg
Where did you get that from?  :shock:

Flying Power Armour, Plasma Rifles, Alien Grenades. In groups of 4 with an additional heavy weapons element carrying Stun Launchers and Alien Blasters.

Yeah, I found Open X-Com and it's a blast!  :grin:

..coming back on track, I'd venture a guess it would largely be limited by what kind of nation/state you rule.

What's the given timeline? Enemies around you? What's the social system like? Mode of production? Etc etc..

I'd clothe them in togas, have them wear their beards long (sorry ladies) and arm them with dusty, old scholastic theological tomes! The battles to ensue would look much like the following.

Bromden said:
Equip them with rusty scraps, and make them that the only food they hunger for is raw human meat.
Organization: a bunch of officers with whips and lashes to herd them in the good direction will do.
Sounds familiar. The Red Army?

The Tenescowri are a part of a rather frightening army in the "Malazan Book of the Fallen" book series.
Essentially a flood of crazed and starving civilians ripping everything apart not unlike a swarm of locusts. Oh and then the females amongst them have sex with the dying enemies before eating them to get more bodies for the army.

Equipments (that soldiers can carry up to 30 kgs, or they would be carried by supplytrain/wagon)
1. bow & arrows or crossbow & bolts or throwing spears
2. polearm: swordstaff or halberd
3. side-weapon: 1-hand axe or warhammer or mace
4. chainmail hauberk & gamberson, plus plate armors (according to the combat condition, the soldiers will wear the suitable armors)
5. shield
6. rations, basic weapon & armor maintainance and medical aid gears: bandages, sterilization (powder or strong alcohol), sewing kits, basic tools (sharpening stones, glues, etc.)

The organization will emphasize on trainning soldiers to be able to understand how to use all/most of the weapons mentioned above, plus wilderness survival (swimming, fishing, hunting, etc.), scouting, basic weapon and armor repair, basic medical aid skills;
Lowest rank of officer will also study the small teamwork and leadership skill (of 5-10 men), how to relay information accross the battlefields, basic reading and writing skills, communicate skills (include basic language) between different ethnic groups and cultural group
Promotion will be based on merits rather than relationship (which, suprisingly, only the Mongol and Sassanid did before modern history)

Roach XI the Magnificent said:
I'd equip them like Rome 1's peasants, except they'd have artillery, armor and air support, as well as radio communications and modern organization. Perhaps give them guns when they have to fight in urban environments.

They'd still be decently effective while looking funny.
To be honest my older brother once mod Rome. And something went wrong with the Roman peasants the result is funny as heck. I got 100 Roman centurions and they're tough as steel nail. (Tougher than usual) lol

I have an idea.
How about, instead of just officers, every soldier can become a force commander.
What I mean to say is, none of this commission 'I went to college' bull. In a real war, you don't need paper, you need experienced leaders and those who know how to command.

So, we have only a few, maybe ten ranks. You gain ranks based on time served. Time deployed is worth twice as much as time not deployed, to favor field experience. However, rank is only a symbol of experience, and determines your paygrade.
Higher ranked guys are not automatically superior in the chain of command. They are just better paid, and have spent more time in the service or in the field, than their lower ranked counterparts.

Officers are not those who hold a 'rank,' but the ranks who hold an office. An officer is a soldier who has training or experience enough to be certified to serve an office, such as a company commander, or even a general officer. There are no 'commisions,' but certifications.
You can be certified to command a company, but not be in command of a company if you are not needed.

Training for officer positions is of course given as the soldier wishes to advance. "Hey Boss, I want to take Platoon Leader Training."
So instead of having their rank changed, they remain the same rank, but now become eligible to fill an officer position on completion of their training.

"Oh look, our commander has died/been reassigned, what do we do!?"
"Don't worry, just appoint the next available guy with the most months of experience and highest command certification!"
Very useful for sorting out chain of command issues on every level during even the most ****stormy of situations, because it's so simple.

Back
Top Bottom