If you could change or replace the Tactics skill tree, how would you do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Totalgarbage

Sergeant Knight
Tactics is probably the weirdest and most counter-intuitive skill in terms of game-design. Not only does it level slowly, at higher levels it completely trivializes the game, especially if paired with high level medicine. There is no "right answer" in terms of balancing the tactics skill in the current game due to this. I'm not necessarily suggesting it should be completely scrapped but if you were to either edit levelling bonus and/or the perks in the skill tree or outright replace it with something else (that's related to cunningness), how would you do it?

I would like to not have attributes and only have FP, so I could just ignore tactics or any other skill without feeling like I wasted because I invested attributes for another more useful skill/perk in the same attribute family.

I would also give tactics another effect that has nothing to do with auto calc or sacrificing troops, something useful to conventional playing, but no idea what.

I don't know if anybody ever played Gloria Sinica: Han Xiongnu Wars, the Chinese game built on the Warband engine, but it had a very interesting take on the tactics skill.

So that game had this pretty advanced battle ai and "delegate command" option. And it had battle formations, which were army scale formations. Its been awhile, but I remember there being a "Crane Wing" formation, a wagon fort formation and a bunch of other special purpose formations that you could use in different circumstances. You had to read a book and have a high enough tactics skill to use more advanced formations. Tactics skill also affected how much you could alter the overall formation and how fast your troops would respond to orders. It was a pretty impressive system overall, at least by Warband standards. Something like that would've been a great use for the tactics skill.

I'd like to have stamina in game. To make sense of running around calradia chasing looters and having an impact on my character eventually over-enduring everyone on battlefield.

I want breakable lance for my character, so he can, after a hundred of charges, learn not to break it in first one anymore and use it for two or three more charges.

I want my character to learn reading and then read books during waiting for his smithing stamina to come back to him again so he can use that useless waiting time to increase his peasant brain capacity on different matters like medicine, engineering, economics...

I want my character to learn tactics from more experienced commanders by joining them in fight. As he continues to understand more and more how one should command his troops, he would unlock more and more useful formations to execute those tactics.

I want strength back. I want to see my fresh character with strenght 10 not being able to swing two handed norse battle axe. I want to see him collapse after few steps under the weight of full set of cataphract armor.

I want to see my character doing ripostes and deadly combos...see believable increase in combat skill. Not just that he can swing in ridiculous arcs +2% faster.

All those "perks" seems to me like from some cheap "free-to-play" smartphone game. In fact this could be a pretty good smartphone game. It already is just a clickfest thru multiple menus for me 😁🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom