If X Gun Was in the Game, How Powerful\Accurate Would it Be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jean Plassy

Sergeant at Arms
Title says everything.

I'm gonna start with the S&W 500. If you think the Walker is carbinesque, you have to look at this thing  :lol:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rtw91crys8&feature=fvw

And a wonderful example of recoil in inexperienced hands  :razz::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3Mo2ZMUM4

The bullet and the tight twist of bore add a lot to the accuracy.

Even at the loss of the barrel, the weapon would be very accurate. However, the recoil would probably end up killing you somehow.

I don't think the S&W .500 is any more inaccurate than, say, an S&W .40. It's the recoil that somehow affects accuracy.

The rule doesn't seem to work well with sniper rifles either. In fact "fast fire" seems to adversely affect accuracy, notice how many sniper rifles in action today are still bolt-action, when service rifles abandoned it more than fifty years ago. A good analogy with revolvers would be the heavy trigger pull in DA guns.

power only effects accuracy if you have the inability to properly compensate for it.

most 500 S&W handguns have muzzle brakes built into the barrel (holes on the top of the barrel to divert gases).

I have personally never fired the .500S&W handgun, but I have fired a bolt action .50BMG rifle.  With the muzzle brake that is on the weapon (Google "Armalite AR-50"), the felt recoil at your shoulder is actually less than a .308 winchester.  On the other hand, the shockwave coming from the muzzlebrake feels like someone's hitting you in the chest/face, VERY powerful round!  But yes, you can shoot it accurately and consistently as long as you hold the weapon properly.

The smaller the caliber, the easier it it to shoot accurately, to a point anyway, but that doesn't make the larger caliber stuff less accurate.

Here's a gun from our era, interesting because it's bolt-action. But if it was in the game I think it would require 5 weapon master skill to use:

GREENE.jpg

Here's an excerpt from a forum post where somebody is talking about their loading mechanism:

Although Greene's patent was the first bolt-action arm kind of, sort of, "adopted" by the US, the design is basically the same as Nicholas Dryse's 1838 and adopted by the Prussians in 1841.
Its major difference(s) from Dreyse's was that the Greene was worked/operated by pushing a release button on the tang, which allowed the bolt to be pulled up and to the rear to expose the chamber for the cartridge.
Two bullets at once were used in an unique arrangement.
A Minie type bullet was loaded, and the bolt was pushed forward passsed its normal position, where a rod seated the bullet forward in the chamber. The bolt was then drawn rearward again where the unique Greene combustible cartridge (with the bullet in the rear of the charge) was inserted into the receiver. The bolt was then pushed forward again, this time down and to the right to close the breech.
To fire, a percussion cap was placed on a cone beneath the receiver, a "ring hammer" (forward of the trigger guard bow) cocked with the index finger, and then the regular trigger squeezed.
That caused the gun powder in the reat to fire the forward seated bullet, with a bullet at the rear acting as a gas check. The powder in the next round, once inserted, then fired that bullet, it leaving its rearward bullet behind. And so on.

Apparently the US government bought some but decided they were too complicated to load and fire. Can't imagine why  :???:

Back
Top Bottom